Sennheiser HD 598 vs Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro (250 Ohm)
Aug 4, 2013 at 2:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Tankata

New Head-Fier
Just wondering about which one i should grab out of these two.

At the moment, the 990's are at $210 and the 598's are at $260 (i'm in australia so that's why the prices are dumb)

I mostly listen to Trance, EDM, DnB, mostly electronic type music with a bit of rock thrown in.

I'd be upgrading from beats (and no, i didnt buy them, i got them as a gift second hand from a friend who got new cans).

EDIT: forgot to add i have a Xonar Essence STX sound card to drive them 

Happy to hear about the differences and/or reccomendations between the two.
Thanks in advance :)

Aug 4, 2013 at 2:46 AM Post #2 of 7
The DT990s are full bass and full treble, which slightly overshadows the mids, but the mids are clear.
The HD598 are going to have bass, but more like just enough bass to be able to say they have bass.

Aug 4, 2013 at 3:06 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:
So do you recommend one over the other? (990 is $50 cheaper)

Tough question.
But I would say to get the DT990, it will have more "life" to the audio sound.
Plus it's cheaper.

Sep 12, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #5 of 7
Did you end up making a choice between the two?
I already own the 598, and have for a while now and I should be receiving my 990s in the mail today. 

I was curious what your thoughts are on the choice you made, or if you didn't make a choice yet I might be able to provide some insight after they arrive.

Sep 12, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #6 of 7
Yeah i got the 990's. They definitely have that v-shaped sound signature, but the mids are still excellently clear. The bass is wonderful and tight, though the sub-bass isnt as pronounced as the mid-bass. Some say the treble is too much for them though i havent found that. I can see where people are coming from but it's great for me. Listening to lots of EDM/Trance etc. the brighter treble works really well.

Only two bad things.
First, the cord isnt detachable, which isnt too big of a deal, but is slightly annoying.
Secondly, the headband was pretty tight when i first got them. Now, they have loosened up though and are super comfortable and i can wear them for hours.

I havent tried the 598's but im definitely happy with these. They are pretty much what i was looking for. If people want a neutral sound they obviously wouldnt get these, but im loving the fun and bright sound that they bring. That's what ultimately made me choose the 990's. I'd rather enjoy listening more than have a more accurate listening experience.

Hope that helped :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back