Sennheiser HD 598 vs Beyerdynamic DT 880
Apr 8, 2014 at 5:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

xMolchy

New Head-Fier
Checked alot of stuff online about headphones and this two are standing out for me.

My computer audio setup: Creative Sound Blaster Z + Tritton HDa510

Not happy with trittons ... made mistake going for so called true 5.1 ... i expected to get good position audio but with this headset u only notice positioning if u are alone on the map :wink:
and not much details...

So i am planning now to buy new headphones and not any more gaming headset ... which hopefull will give me better surround positioning and experiance.

So if anyone has exp. with HD 598 or DT 880 i will be happy to listen.

I play normaly: Battlefield 4 + 3 and latest TitanFall ...

The price in my country for this two is:
- 164 € - HD598
- 225 € - DT880

Please vote too :wink: and comment why which ones ... 

Apr 8, 2014 at 8:13 AM Post #3 of 12
Checked it allready but it does not mantion virtual surround sound experiance and positioning ... overall i know both of those headphones are good ... but with which i get better Virtual Surround sound positioning details ...

:wink: Checked whole post from him ... good one but on the end multiple user experiance says the most ... and i suspect alot of people on this forum has HD 598 or DT 880 ... so wanna have better focus and feedback for those two models ...

Apr 8, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #5 of 12
I wouldn't recommend the DT880's unless you have an amp. HD598's would be an excellent option, as well as the Philips Fidelio X1.

Apr 8, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #6 of 12
  Checked it already but it does not mention virtual surround sound experience and positioning ... overall I know both of those headphones are good ... but with which I get better Virtual Surround sound positioning details ...

:wink: Checked whole post from him ... good one but on the end multiple user experience says the most ... and I suspect a lot of people on this forum has HD 598 or DT 880 ... so wanna have better focus and feedback for those two models ...

I own the DT880 (250 & 600) and Senn HD558s.
Between the DT880 and HD598 I doubt there is much of a difference for FPS gaming.
The DT880 might be considered a little better for music and maybe a little more bass then the HD598s.
I would say to try to find the best deal you can on used HD558s, they use the same driver as the HD598s.
With the HD558s you can remove the black rubber tape from inside the cups of the HD558, makes the audio quality almost as good as the HD598s.

Apr 9, 2014 at 3:42 AM Post #7 of 12

Quote:
  Philips Fidelio X1

First time heard of this ones :wink: whats special about them ... how is virtual surround exp.?

I wouldn't recommend the DT880's unless you have an amp. HD598's would be an excellent option, as well as the Philips Fidelio X1.

I think my sound card has integrated AMP for head-set-phones ... Creative sound blaster Z ... I normaly used Headset or phones for gaming so i dont wanna over extend if not needed.

I own the DT880 (250 & 600) and Senn HD558s.
Between the DT880 and HD598 I doubt there is much of a difference for FPS gaming.
The DT880 might be considered a little better for music and maybe a little more bass then the HD598s.
I would say to try to find the best deal you can on used HD558s, they use the same driver as the HD598s.
With the HD558s you can remove the black rubber tape from inside the cups of the HD558, makes the audio quality almost as good as the HD598s.

Did you try with those virtual surround sound and where you think it was good exp. ?

Apr 10, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #9 of 12
Is it allowed to bump a post on this forum ?

Yep :)
http://www.head-fi.org/a/posting-guidelines

I'd go for the HD598s or X1s myself over the DT880s. But really, there's no bad decision here as far as sound quality, and your personal listening tastes will make the biggest difference. If you have read many reviews about each, you are probably ready to make the decision.

Apr 10, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #10 of 12
I think my sound card has integrated AMP for head-set-phones ... Creative Sound Blaster Z ... I normally used Headset or phones for gaming so I dont wanna over extend if not needed. Did you try with those virtual surround sound and where you think it was good exp. ?

The SB-Z comes with a fairly decent build in headphone amplifier, I would assume the external head amps like the Schiit Magni or O2 would be preferred.
For the price you pay for the SB-Z, the build in amplifier is a good value.

Tested my DT880s and HD558 while watching Star Trek - In To Darkness, the DT880s do provide a better audio experience.
The HD558 sound is a little more reserved (distance), not as "bright" as the DT880s.
The HD558s provide all the audio detail the average listener needs and it's slightly more "veiled" sound has the advantage as it puts less stress on the ears, allowing you wear them for longer periods of time.

Apr 11, 2014 at 6:46 AM Post #11 of 12
Tnx-u for feedback ...

I allready have this sound card Creative ssound blaster z ... and yes it has headphone amplification...

what about FPS experiance and virutal surround sound beetween this two ?

I heard that in X1 you can not change the cups which is cons for me ... i like to clean cups ...

May 22, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #12 of 12
As a first time buyer, I am considering these two phones as well due to good reviews & similar price.

In fact I already bought DT 880 with E07K (as well as NAD Viso HP50). Although DT 880 sounds more open than my TF10, it sounds "hollow". I am thinking it might have to be with the amp, which might not be big enough.

I found a good deal on HD598 and ordered it today. Should be here next week as well as Centrance Hifi-8, so I will be able to drive both cans well and compare. From what I read, it seems HD598 will have much bigger soundstage (which is really important to me) so I am guessing I will like HD598 more (also looks nicer). I must admit that DT 880 sounds kinda boring compared to NAD Viso HP50 (again could be the amp).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back