Sennheiser HD 598: Ugly or Sexy
Jul 3, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #16 of 143
where is the "i dont care how they look " ? 

Jul 3, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #17 of 143
The Senn HD598? Just saw it for the first time, right here and right now. I don't think I want to see it again 
nea.gif
... ever.

Jul 3, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #18 of 143
Quote:
How can a headphone be sexy? 

Well, there are people out there that are turned on by any number of weird things....

Jul 3, 2012 at 6:49 PM Post #20 of 143
im real fussy & I like things to look nice but also they have to be really well made, & also have to sound the part too, but the 598's have never done that for me, they look ok but the sound is so so.

Jul 3, 2012 at 6:57 PM Post #21 of 143
The problem with the HD598 is the plastic. It looks VERY cheap in person. They should've used some metallic paint, to at least make it look non-plastic. The cream plastic is just too big of a contrast to the nice velours and wood accents.

Jul 3, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #22 of 143
Quote:
I think they look good, almost like something you'd see in a luxury car. But in person the cream color is darker and looks more brown. So I vote they look OK, but not great.

They sound the same as the HD595 so why bother with the redesign? The HD595 can be sound cheaper as well so you may as well go with that. I've heard both side by side with no differences in sound at all.

You better check you ears mate. They are LEAGUES apart from each other. The two biggest differences between them are the bass and soundstage... the HD 595 is far inferior in those two aspects. It's immediately noticeable. There is also the midrange factor as well. 

Jul 3, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #24 of 143
Quote:
The problem with the HD598 is the plastic. It looks VERY cheap in person. They should've used some metallic paint, to at least make it look non-plastic. The cream plastic is just too big of a contrast to the nice velours and wood accents.

Wow looking at the poll, these really do have a very controversial look to them. 

@ Mad Lust Envy 
I agree the plastic does look a bit cheap. Not sure how metallic paint would look on these... but at least the plastic does serve a function: making them lightweight. The HD 598 is still the most comfortable headphone I have ever tried. They're disgustingly comfortable. 

Jul 3, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #25 of 143
Quote:
You better check you ears mate. They are LEAGUES apart from each other. The two biggest differences between them are the bass and soundstage... the HD 595 is far inferior in those two aspects. It's immediately noticeable. There is also the midrange factor as well. 

I didn't hear much sonic difference between the 595 and 598. Just cosmetic changes and a bigger price tag. Feh.

Jul 3, 2012 at 7:33 PM Post #26 of 143
If the PC360 is indeed just a repurposed 595 with a mic and innate volume control, then I do agree that the HD595 and 598 sound similar, but are in no ways the same. The HD598 is clearly the superior sounding headphone, especially in overall clarity. The "HD595" sounds more balanced, as it has no particular range that is emphasized. The HD598 can be a bit unnatural with how forward the mids are at times, though considering how vocals are in the mids, people love that emphasis. Singers sound like they are singing directly next to you.

Jul 3, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #27 of 143
I don't hear any difference at all. They still use the same driver as the HD555 and HD595. Same part number and all. They aren't leagues apart either. Even if they were different it wouldn't be that dramatic.

My ears are fine though, but thanks for the concern 
wink_face.gif
. I've tried them in home on my X-CANV8P (long before I had the V200 and Auditor) and they sounded the same. If there are differences they are very minute.

As for the part number, I had to replace a blown driver in a customers HD558. Sennheiser did not have the HD558/HD598 drivers for purchase so I contacted them. I was told they share the same drivers as the HD555 and HD595, so I ordered a pair of those drivers for the customer.

Quote:

Jul 3, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #28 of 143
Quote:
I don't hear any difference at all. They still use the same driver as the HD555 and HD595. Same part number and all. They aren't leagues apart either. Even if they were different it wouldn't be that dramatic.

My ears are fine though, but thanks for the concern 
wink_face.gif
. I've tried them in home on my X-CANV8P (long before I had the V200 and Auditor) and they sounded the same. If there are differences they are very minute.

As for the part number, I had to replace a blown driver in a customers HD558. Sennheiser did not have the HD558/HD598 drivers for purchase so I contacted them. I was told they share the same drivers as the HD555 and HD595, so I ordered a pair of those drivers for the customer.

Pretty sure they don't have the same driver.

Jul 3, 2012 at 8:03 PM Post #30 of 143
ugly.  That headphone's design looks like it started off as a joke within the company that somehow made it to production.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back