sennheiser hd 598 sounds distorted after burn in
Jul 3, 2012 at 7:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

roadnottravel

New Head-Fier
hello im a newly registered user but a long time lurker (^_^) pls be nice hehe and sorry if my english is bad

so here's my story, i just bought a brand new sennheiser hd 598 5 days ago with my own sweat and blood money xD been very happy with it as it sound lively and great (upgrading from grado sr60i) but then i get so excited to try and burn in the phone after reading everyone said how much it improved the sound.

I read the forum and found that someone recommended the use of burn in tool from http://www.jlabaudio.com/burn.php . After burning in through the whole night using that tool (around 10 to 12 hours i think), i found that my sennheiser sounds harsh and distorted, not so much but its there and i swear i can hear it, the violin in orchestral music is just not as thin anymore and there a little bit of cracking especially when listening to orchestral music that has violin ( im absolutely sure it wasnt there before so it cant be my source ) and the instrument seperation had worsen

So i stopped the process immediately. but now what do i have to do to restore my headphones? i love it so much and only get the chance to use it for 3 days, it's kinda unbearable to know that my hard earned cash got washed away by my silly mistake (im a student and its not cheap for me T_T plus i live in developing country ) . So please can any of you teach me how to 'recover' my phones or this is just natural part of headphone's driver and it will get better after this? please help me 
frown.gif

P/S : sorry for the long post and sorry for my bad english ( im not a native english speaker 
regular_smile .gif
 ) thank you very much <3

Jul 4, 2012 at 10:14 AM Post #3 of 11
At what volume did you burn them in at? If you went a bit too hard, it is possible that you broke them. I don't know much on the subject, but I know that headphones can be broken if played too loud. It is also possible that the recording you listened to the second time was badly recorded, and that's what your hearing.

Also, don't be scared to put large posts, it is not bad.

Jul 4, 2012 at 11:27 AM Post #4 of 11
normal volume i believe, in fact its a little bit lower than my normal listening volume...im afraid i alreaddy mess up my phones. so it must be that audio burn in tool from the jlab audio that is bad then? also is it possible that this is normal during the burn in phase where the phones sounds worsen but will improve with further burn in? thanks man ^_^

Jul 4, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #5 of 11
It took a few days for my 598 to sound better. Ive had them for a week and a bit. all i did was play songs and games, what i normally do. You might want to wait a few more days for better sound.

Jul 5, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:
I read the forum and found that someone recommended the use of burn in tool from http://www.jlabaudio.com/burn.php . After burning in through the whole night using that tool (around 10 to 12 hours i think), i found that my sennheiser sounds harsh and distorted, not so much but its there and i swear i can hear it, the violin in orchestral music is just not as thin anymore and there a little bit of cracking especially when listening to orchestral music that has violin ( im absolutely sure it wasnt there before so it cant be my source ) and the instrument seperation had worsen

If you "burned" at normal volume level, then it's not much different than listening music.
Most likely you are vcitim of "nocebo" (negative placebo).

Jul 8, 2012 at 7:10 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:
can you enlighten me on this think called 'nocebo' ?

i guess it would be in this case an increased expectation which would reduce satisfaction of the audio?

almost had the effect it with my newly bought hd558

Jul 8, 2012 at 7:27 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:
can you enlighten me on this think called 'nocebo' ?

The nocebo effect is a negative expectation can result in negative experience, even if there is no tangible/real effect occurring. In other words, with the nocebo effect, you would expect or worry so much about hearing distortion that you convince yourself distortion exists. 

Jul 8, 2012 at 8:23 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

The nocebo effect is a negative expectation can result in negative experience, even if there is no tangible/real effect occurring. In other words, with the nocebo effect, you would expect or worry so much about hearing distortion that you convince yourself distortion exists. 

what I  got in mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back