Sennheiser HD 598, got some problem with integrated audio
Dec 23, 2012 at 12:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Mobilex

New Head-Fier
I already used the search function of this forum but I didn't find the answer so I'm asking here.
I bought a pair of Senn HD 598 after reading lots of reviews, they should be easy to drive with almost everything but when I plugged them on my computer (integrated motherboard audio) the sound was just weird and much different for what I read about them. Their should be weak or at least have an adeguate amount of bass but instead, they have a really bodied bass response (not kicking but soft, still too much) and the mid-range is harsh and confused, the vocals are not sharp as they should be and are like subdued. I'm sure that is not a problem of this headphones because using my Galaxy Nexus the sound change in better and opens up, the mid range sounds good and vocals are just like they should be. 
I listen to high quality format such as flac and MP3 at 320 mbps bit rate, I use foobar2000 as music player and my motherboard is an Asrock Z77 Pro3; I don't use any kind of filter, enhanching or SW EQing.
To find a solution to this problems I bought a Xonar Essence STX but is not arrived yet. Anybody knows how the Xonar and the HD 598 sound combined? Should i buy another another Amp? (The STX already have a headphone AMP).
I already read the thread about the Xonar but for this headphones do you suggest to change the OpAmps? 

Dec 23, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #2 of 6
Your "bass" issues sounds like the motherboard's headphone jack has a high impedance issue.

The Essence STX should improve the sound quality of the HD598 over using the motherboard's headphone jack.

Did you update the motherboard's (on-board) audio software to the latest version?
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77%20Pro3/?cat=Download
But when you install the Essence STX your going to disable the on-board audio anyway

Dec 23, 2012 at 2:15 PM Post #4 of 6
could it be a faulty adapter?

I just plugged my HD 598's into my laptop which has a Conexant SmartAudio HD card, and it sounded fine, minus the EQ'ing I prefer.

Anyways. There was a video floating around of a HD 598 adapter that fried this guys memory card. I just wonder if that same kind of interference could possible produce other effects, like what you're experiencing.

Dec 23, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
Yes, but the sound didn't change.

Guess it is an impedance issue.
The Essence STX has impedance of 10-Ohms.
Where as your motherboard could have an impedance from 40-Ohm to 75-Ohm (guessing).
So the 50-Ohm HD598 should sound better plugged into the STX.

Op-amp wise, the AD797BRs seemed to be well liked for the STX (it's what i use).

This thread is a good place to post questions about the Asus Xonar Essence sound cards.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/421890/the-xonar-essence-stx-q-a-tweaking-impressions-thread

Dec 23, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #6 of 6
I tried my HD 598 on my Netbook (asus 1015pn) and the vocals were still not sharp as you should expect from this cans and with some songs I noticed a lot of distorsion (e.g: My Dads Gone Crazy - Eminem)
With the Nexus using "powerAMP" the vocals are good, the sound stage is acceptable, overall I did not notice any problem

Guess it is an impedance issue.

I don't know, the sound is not horrible, hashed or distorted but it's not precise as it should be. The vocals have a too soft texture and are confused. By the way the sound in gaming is perfect, wide, vocals are good, effects are really natural and sharp. 

EDIT: It's probably the impedance fault, since that was meant to drive speakers.

About the AD797BR, what kind of differences do they provide compered with stock?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back