Sennheiser HD 598 CS Closed Back
Mar 2, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #242 of 290
  Awesome, what price would be good for them? Is $150 a decent price?

If you buy in Europe - amazon.de for 129 EUR. Otherwise $150 is still decent.

Mar 3, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #244 of 290
Amazon had them for 87 Euros, yesterday. Now they're back at 140 Euros...
Could'nt resist for that price.
Received them today, few hours in listening...
Really like the Mids on these. They will replace my HD 25-1 II's for portable listening for sure...

Mar 4, 2017 at 3:30 AM Post #245 of 290
  Amazon had them for 87 Euros, yesterday. Now they're back at 140 Euros...
Could'nt resist for that price.
Received them today, few hours in listening...
Really like the Mids on these. They will replace my HD 25-1 II's for portable listening for sure...

Oh wow you're lucky, was it Amazon that personally sold them or a 3rd party vendor on Amazon? Maybe I'll wait this week if they decide to do a rotation in every other Amazon countries.

Mar 5, 2017 at 7:42 AM Post #246 of 290
Yes, it was directly from Amazon.

Mar 14, 2017 at 5:49 PM Post #248 of 290
Scored one of these, I wanted to seehear what Senn cooked up.  Very nice.  Brighter and thinner than my modified HD558, and a pleasant "concert hall" reverb is added, but just as good for the most part.  558 needs a little modification to shine, not to mention to alleviate congestion on complex passages and music, while 598Cs doesn't seem to have the issue, despite cup resonances giving it a "concert hall" reverb.

Mar 14, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #249 of 290
  Scored one of these, I wanted to seehear what Senn cooked up.  Very nice.  Brighter and thinner than my modified HD558, and a pleasant "concert hall" reverb is added, but just as good for the most part.  558 needs a little modification to shine, not to mention to alleviate congestion on complex passages and music, while 598Cs doesn't seem to have the issue, despite cup resonances giving it a "concert hall" reverb.

Any good mods for the 598CS?

Mar 30, 2017 at 7:11 PM Post #251 of 290
I tried taking the headphone apart to see if I could mod it in any way. But no, everything is superglued together.

You're not gonna let a little glue stop you, are you?  What kind of modder are you?! 
wink.gif

Apr 3, 2017 at 5:23 AM Post #253 of 290
Finally!  A comprehensive test of the 598 Cs.  As expected, it's a mid-centric frequency response with severely rolled off treble.  Don't mind the spike around 9 kHz, as most of the headphones they test exhibit this.  Not sure if it's something with their testing equipment or methodology.

http://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/sennheiser/hd-598-cs

Apr 3, 2017 at 2:12 PM Post #254 of 290
Most closed-back headphones have a treble peak around 9k-10kHz.
Is that really "severe treble roll-off"?  Treble is all there to the human ear, with some excess in a particular area.

Apr 4, 2017 at 1:02 AM Post #255 of 290
Finally!  A comprehensive test of the 598 Cs.  As expected, it's a mid-centric frequency response with severely rolled off treble.  Don't mind the spike around 9 kHz, as most of the headphones they test exhibit this.  Not sure if it's something with their testing equipment or methodology.

http://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/sennheiser/hd-598-cs
I've noticed that too. Every headphone graph that I've looked at on that site, whether closed back or open back, shows a spike at 9khz. I came to the same conclusion; that it was thier methodology or thier testing equipment. I still find it a good site for comprehensive graphs and interesting headphone reviews.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back