Sennheiser HD-595 vs Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro
Jun 13, 2005 at 10:36 PM Post #17 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by virusvoodoo
Hi,

I have a Sennheiser HD-555 which I am enjoying very much, so much that it makes me want to look into better sounding headphones. Currently, there are two headphones that I am looking at, the Sennheiser HD-595 and the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro. I know these two are from different manufacturers and have different sounds but for those who have some experience with any of these two or even a model close to these I would like to hear your opinion on them. How do they compare? Which one would be better if price isn't a concern? I know it's really personal preference but I just want to hear the general consensus with these.

As a Senn 595 owner take my advice, skip the 595 and get either the Senn 650s, Grado SR-325i or the Sony SA5000s, or another can in this price/quality range.

I LOVE my 595s but from everything I have read they are an incrimental jump from the 555s, if you are going to upgrade go all the way, any of the above mentioned cans are considered "high end" around here(the Stax/Qualia/HE90 and others being ultra high end).

So if you are going to go, go all the way, don't take a baby step, it will cost you more in the long run.

Jun 14, 2005 at 12:47 AM Post #18 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Svperstar
As a Senn 595 owner take my advice, skip the 595 and get either the Senn 650s, Grado SR-325i or the Sony SA5000s, or another can in this price/quality range.

I LOVE my 595s but from everything I have read they are an incrimental jump from the 555s, if you are going to upgrade go all the way, any of the above mentioned cans are considered "high end" around here(the Stax/Qualia/HE90 and others being ultra high end).

So if you are going to go, go all the way, don't take a baby step, it will cost you more in the long run.

I guess that's kinda of my question, that are the DT 990 Pro, HD-595, or HD-600 comparable to those top of the line headphones like the HD-650, SR-325i, SA-5000? I like the HD-595 is that they don't really need an amp yet they still sounds very good.

Also, is there that much difference between the HD-600 and HD-650? It seems like the difference is not much while the difference in price is huge. I would rather go with the HD-600 if the difference in quality isn't enough to justify the difference in prices.

Jun 14, 2005 at 9:26 AM Post #19 of 26
From my gut feelings, and my information, I wouldn't hesitate to place the HD595 above the SR325i and the SA5000 and even the HD600. But that's only just me with my guts etc.
biggrin.gif

The HD650 I see as the one real upgrade here. And gut feelings tell that the HD595 is a worthy upgrade over the HD555. (I personally would definitely upgrade to it if I didn't have the money for the HD650)

You're warned, they call me the sennheiser goddess.
tongue.gif

Jun 14, 2005 at 4:46 PM Post #20 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by virusvoodoo
I guess that's kinda of my question, that are the DT 990 Pro, HD-595, or HD-600 comparable to those top of the line headphones like the HD-650, SR-325i, SA-5000? I like the HD-595 is that they don't really need an amp yet they still sounds very good.

Also, is there that much difference between the HD-600 and HD-650? It seems like the difference is not much while the difference in price is huge. I would rather go with the HD-600 if the difference in quality isn't enough to justify the difference in prices.

Some people perfer the 600s over the 650s, they are few and far between though, you do need an amp for them since they are 300 ohms vs the 595s which are 50 ohms. The SA5000 is 70 and the grados are 32 so they don't need as much power but still sound better with an amp.

If you don't own an amp and don't plan on getting one then low impedence headphones are the way to go, but if you are serious about upgrading eventually you will want an amp(trust me :p ).

I really like my 595s, but I have a feeling the step from 555 to 595 will leave you hungry for more quality either in the form of better headphones, or a good amp. So rather than making small upgrades, just go for the gold now, get some really good top end ones and then pick out an amp later.

Also about Andrea, he has a habit of going into every thread on the board about any pair of headphones and saying "the 595/650 are by far the best headphones ever, even though I haven't listened to the ones you are talking about, I am SURE these are better and I don't need to hear anything else"
tongue.gif

Jun 14, 2005 at 5:27 PM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Also about Andrea, he has a habit of going into every thread on the board about any pair of headphones and saying "the 595/650 are by far the best headphones ever, even though I haven't listened to the ones you are talking about, I am SURE these are better and I don't need to hear anything else"
tongue.gif

Nice description
wink.gif

Jun 14, 2005 at 5:33 PM Post #22 of 26
No, seriously,
tongue.gif
it's that I think the SA5000 is **** and that the SR325i is not that great. If you had recommended something more 'substantial', perhaps... like the DT880 or the MS2i, well, there wouldn't have been as much room for a drastic reply...

Jun 14, 2005 at 8:55 PM Post #23 of 26
Be nice to Andrea. He provides a necessary balance to Head-Fi.

Andrea is the Anti-Lou. Lou changes his headphones and his mind weekly. Andrea has changed neither in the time I've been reading his opinions. Such constancy is to be appreciated.

Regards,
biggrin.gif

BW

Jun 14, 2005 at 9:02 PM Post #24 of 26
And I seem not even at risk of corruption for now
cool.gif

Regards,
biggrin.gif

Me

Jun 15, 2005 at 1:42 AM Post #25 of 26
Quote:

tongue.gif

That's better than saying "Brand X headphones sound like rodent droppings", when it's clear from their description that the person has never even heard Brand X headphones.

See ya
Steve

Jun 15, 2005 at 1:57 AM Post #26 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
No, seriously,
tongue.gif
it's that I think the SA5000 is **** and that the SR325i is not that great. If you had recommended something more 'substantial', perhaps... like the DT880 or the MS2i, well, there wouldn't have been as much room for a drastic reply...

Of the headphones you have mentioned, which ones have you tried?

I have very little respect for someone who belittles a headphone that they have never heard.

-Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back