Sennheiser HD-595 vs Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro
Jun 13, 2005 at 7:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

virusvoodoo

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I have a Sennheiser HD-555 which I am enjoying very much, so much that it makes me want to look into better sounding headphones. Currently, there are two headphones that I am looking at, the Sennheiser HD-595 and the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro. I know these two are from different manufacturers and have different sounds but for those who have some experience with any of these two or even a model close to these I would like to hear your opinion on them. How do they compare? Which one would be better if price isn't a concern? I know it's really personal preference but I just want to hear the general consensus with these.

Jun 13, 2005 at 7:35 AM Post #2 of 26
I haven't owned any of the two, but I have spent enough time with them to find out which I prefer.

I prefer the Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro.

The HD595 is a very good headphone, and possibly more "correct" than the Beyer, but the DT990 is smoother, more comfortable, bassier and just more entertaining. The whole package is more pleasing, to put it bluntly.

However, you should know that I'm quite partial to the Beyer sound-signature. I've always liked their philosophy better than Sennheisers slightly darker, laidback sound.

But...
If you haven't got a fairly decent amp, I'd go for the Sennheiser. It's easy to drive, the DT990 isn't.

Just my feelings on the subject.
:)

Jun 13, 2005 at 9:11 AM Post #3 of 26
I've been considering the DT990pro for myself but I've finally given up because I became convinced that it's not up to my requirements of "correctness" of balance and accuracy.

I'll suggest to follow the natural upgrade path from the sound you're enjoying so much, that is, HD555 -> HD595 -> HD650.

Jun 13, 2005 at 9:18 AM Post #4 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
I've been considering the DT990pro for myself but I've finally given up because I became convinced that it's not up to my requirements of "correctness" of balance and accuracy.

Have you even tried them...or Grados?

-Matt

Jun 13, 2005 at 9:46 AM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
Have you even tried them...or Grados?

-Matt

Yes I have demoed it at our university bookstore and I found that I don't really like its sound. It is very warm and even on the brighter side. I prefer more of a neutral sound with excellent soundstage. Those warm & bright sounding headphones or even speakers easily give me fatigue after an hour of listening or so. Oh yeah, I think the Grados I heard was either the SR-60 or the SR-80. Forgot what it was but I am sure it's not any of the above models.

I wonder if the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro is more like the Sennheiser or Grados cans when it comes to tonal balance (eg. warm or neutral). Also, is the DT 990 Pro the top of the line for Beyerdynamic? I only see the DT 880 and the DT 770 on this forum, both of which are greatly favored by many, especially the DT 880. However, as popular as those two are, the DT 990 Pro is just the opposite with not many discussion about it.

Jun 13, 2005 at 9:57 AM Post #6 of 26
I've never tried personally the DT990, but it's often said that this is a slightly coloured headphones. That is also the intention of the beyerdynamic, as you can read and understand in their documents.

The DT990/880/770 are respectively the top of the beyers in open/semi-open/closed headphones. The 990 the more "caracterized" with some emphasis in the bass and in the highs, the 880 the more "correct" (for project), the 770 the more bassier and strong sounding.

Andrea

Jun 13, 2005 at 9:57 AM Post #7 of 26
DT990 Pro is probably closer to a bright Sennheiser than to the lower end Grado sound. They're a lot of fun and more versatile than I expected. The bass is certainly present, but it doesn't overwhelm the rest of the sound. I even like them with some chamber music because of their detail. They really are fun with rock!
smily_headphones1.gif

But . . . you want to use the Beyer with an amp.

BW

Jun 13, 2005 at 10:18 AM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Ward
DT990 Pro is probably closer to a bright Sennheiser than to the lower end Grado sound. They're a lot of fun and more versatile than I expected. The bass is certainly present, but it doesn't overwhelm the rest of the sound. I even like them with some chamber music because of their detail. They really are fun with rock!
smily_headphones1.gif

But . . . you want to use the Beyer with an amp.

BW

Will the headphone jack on my Denon AVR-1601 receiver do for now? I am way over my spending limit so I cannot afford a dedicated headphone amp for now.

Jun 13, 2005 at 10:43 AM Post #9 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by virusvoodoo
Will the headphone jack on my Denon AVR-1601 receiver do for now? I am way over my spending limit so I cannot afford a dedicated headphone amp for now.

Shouldn't be a financial problem. There are several cheap HP amps available which will only cost about 50-60$ (Audio Technica, B-Tech,...take a look at the amps section). If you head for them via Ebay, you'd succeed in a very cheap manner.
-----------------------------------------------
In respect of HP choice, I'd recommend none of them both. The 595 is nuts 'cause its character is too close to your 555s --> a waste of money. And I don't think that you would like the DT990s due to their warm & subjective sound. (
tongue.gif
Guess you would really hate my 770s)

What YOU need sounds like the Senn HD 600, or the 650 - or the Sony MDR CD 5000. My advice, start putting money aside for something that suits you before spoiling currency for something you don't use later.

If you don't have the patience to save money for these cans, you might as well consider the AKG 271, which costs less. But it's classes beneath the above mentioned cans, and I don't know if it is even an improvement over your 555s.

Jun 13, 2005 at 12:22 PM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

If you haven't tried the DT990 Pro, don't write it off too soon. I was quite sceptical about it, but with a good source+amp it's a damn fine headphone.

Don't forget that it has been used in MANY studios since 1985. :)

Jun 13, 2005 at 1:18 PM Post #11 of 26
wink.gif
Everybody knows that he/she (Andrea) is a Senn goddess.

In this case "she" isn't too wrong for high class natural sound is the thing that was asked for. And that isn't the primary Beyer 990 vice. The Beyer 990s are eased and refined 770 fun-cans.

Jun 13, 2005 at 2:26 PM Post #12 of 26
I is "he"
wink.gif
tongue.gif

Jun 13, 2005 at 2:37 PM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

I is "he"
wink.gif
tongue.gif

Yep. In Italy, "Andrea" is a masculine name (it is feminine in English-speaking countries). Same thing with "Michele" in France (it is masculine there, feminine in English-speaking countries).

As for the HD595 vs. DT990 choice, I'd personally pick the 595. The DT990 doesn't compare - the mids aren't as present as they should be in that 'phone.

Jun 13, 2005 at 3:09 PM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

I is "he"
wink.gif
tongue.gif

I knew that, but felt like "she" needs some banter every now & again.
biggrin.gif
Does "she" have a hairy Tom Selleck breast ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back