Sennheiser HD 580's v. HD 590's --HELP!
Nov 4, 2001 at 9:40 PM Post #16 of 35
Quote:

FWIW, I was in a dealer yesterday and they mentioned that the 580s *are* discontinued, so I'm trying to raise some scratch as we speak - time to get one if you always wanted one!

The dealer was wrong
smily_headphones1.gif

The 580 are not discontinued.

Nov 5, 2001 at 12:02 AM Post #18 of 35
I don't know why people think the Senn HD-590s are bright. I have a pair and if anything I think they are totally the opposite. They present a laid back sound and not bright at all. I like them better than the HD-600. I have driven them with an Apheared 47 amp, MG Head, and MicroZotl. If they are bright compared to the HD-580s then the 580s must be really laid back.

Nov 5, 2001 at 1:10 AM Post #21 of 35
He's got a point, though, atw
wink.gif

You don't like Etys, and you're a big fan of Grados. I think it's fair to say that your tastes favor brighter/forward rather than neutral. Given that, I think it makes sense that you prefer the 590.

Nov 5, 2001 at 1:45 AM Post #22 of 35
I think I'm getting a reputation here and it's not about being a whore. I would disagree that I like "bright" headphones. I don't like the Etys because they were very uncomfortable. It was like sticking toothpicks in my ears until the tip reached my brain, ouch! I also didn't like the sound. To me they sounded like $20 earbuds. I tried to like them really, but for the time I had them I compared them to other headphones I had in the $300 range and there was really no comparison. The latest systems I've been listening to have been tube based and to me these systems sound warm and not bright at all. If I wanted bright then I think I would stick with solid state systems and headphones like the Sony 3000s.

Nov 5, 2001 at 3:21 AM Post #24 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by JayK
The 580 discontinued model (580) is supposedly the GREATEST SOUNDING headphones since sliced bread--unless you spend $200 more.

You can find the HD600's for $250 or even less brand new. But if you are finding the 580's for $45, then go for it!
biggrin.gif

Nov 5, 2001 at 3:30 AM Post #25 of 35
Whoops, double post, sorry.

Nov 5, 2001 at 4:31 AM Post #27 of 35
I have had my HD 580's for a couple of years now, and I have used them with just about everything that I can stick 'em in to
eek.gif
. I love them. They certainly do benefit from an amp, as I think all good headphones do, but I will confess that I use them straight out of pcdp's on occasion (ct780) and though they are way off their peak performance, they are light years better than dinky little earbuds or low-fi Sony entry level headphones. I cannot speak to grados or the better sonys however. Volume is lower than normal phones in this sense, but I have never had a problem getting a comfortable level.

As for comfort, these cans are fantastic. I can wear them for hours without even noticing. I have not tried the 590s, but I am sure you will not find these uncomfortable. As for the connection issue, I think MacDEF is correct in that this is no longer a problem.

They have only come loose once, and that was when I tripped over the cord, sending us both flying across the room in a delicate aerial ballet. After dusting myself and the cans off, I plugged the ear connections back in and they have been fine ever since (well almost, but that will be address in another post very soon). They are now relatively cheap (150 or less) at most places, and I think you would be happy with them.

Or, as Sean H said, you can find the 600s for 250 or less as well...If you listen to rock, people tell me grados are very good as well....personally I listen to some lighter rock/jazz as well as electronica and radiohead type bands, and the 580s have been fine for me. Oh well...best of luck...

Nov 5, 2001 at 5:12 AM Post #28 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by Jon Beilin
The HD580s aren't very good for rock. They're good for classical and jazz, though.

Are they really that bad John? When I use them to listen to stuff like Mobile-Fidelity's:
Rush/ Moving Pictures & Signals
Santana/ Abraxas
Traffic/ The Low Spark Of High Heeled Boys

and DCC's:
Eagles/ Hotel California & Greatest Hits
Jethro Tull/ Aqualung & Original Masters

they seem to sound great from top to bottom. I haven't heard Grados yet, but if we ever have our island get-together...

Nov 5, 2001 at 5:24 AM Post #29 of 35
On an absolute scale, Senns are good, but on a relative scale, I think they are bad. From Beatles to Eagles to Tool to Radiohead, I find them not as involving as other headphones for the rock music genre.

So I agree with you. They are not bad, just not as good as others. You don't know what you're missing until you've heard a bunch of 'phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back