sennheiser HD 558
Apr 20, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #18 of 31
What about the shure srh 440

Also a good choice, but I still favor Sennheiser HD 558/598. Personally, I find Shure headphones would curbstomp ATH-M50s. To be blunt, M50s are kind of overrated. They're not bad, but they're also not the lost treasure of Atlantis that everyone and their grandma seems to think it is. I've heard them and they left me with disappointment at how something that I would merely classify as "above average" is the supposed cream of the crop in a sea of various other closed headphones - including cheaper ones - that I would recommend long before them.

Apr 20, 2014 at 10:17 PM Post #23 of 31
About how much sound do open backs leak

That depends on the headphone. Some open headphones might not even leak that much but they will let a lot of noise in, which means that your music can be interrupted by a noisy environment. I own Philips Fidelio X1s and they have to be turned up pretty high before anyone can hear them (that's somewhat relative, though; I don't listen at high volumes). Rule of thumb, though, they allow more noise in and out than closed headphones.

Also, if you have several questions, try keeping them all in one post to make it easier to respond to them.

Apr 20, 2014 at 10:38 PM Post #24 of 31

Someone next to you in most cases would hear the music.
They are not for bringing outside the house.
They are for quiet environments.

Apr 20, 2014 at 10:41 PM Post #25 of 31
Also a good choice, but I still favor Sennheiser HD 558/598. Personally, I find Shure headphones would curbstomp ATH-M50s. To be blunt, M50s are kind of overrated. They're not bad, but they're also not the lost treasure of Atlantis that everyone and their grandma seems to think it is. I've heard them and they left me with disappointment at how something that I would merely classify as "above average" is the supposed cream of the crop in a sea of various other closed headphones - including cheaper ones - that I would recommend long before them.

What other headphones would you recommend? I had a solid day with the M50s that I borrowed from my friend and they sounded great. But, I would not pay more then $100 for them. He got them for $75.
I would really love to hear the SRH840 since all I've heard are good things about them.

Apr 20, 2014 at 11:14 PM Post #26 of 31

I used to wear my 595s around and I got a lot of funny looks and a few people who would come over and ask me to turn my music down (on a college campus)   If someone's not complaining about the noise coming out of the headphones then you're trying to turn up the volume to muffle out the noise coming in.  

Apr 20, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #27 of 31
What other headphones would you recommend? I had a solid day with the M50s that I borrowed from my friend and they sounded great. But, I would not pay more then $100 for them. He got them for $75.
I would really love to hear the SRH840 since all I've heard are good things about them.

Sennheiser HD 429/439/449, Onkyo ES-FC300, Shure SRH440, and - in my opinion - Sony MDR-V6/7506, but only for people that like neutral sound.

ATH-M50s are worth about $100 or less, but not for $130, and certainly not the outrageous $169 they're asking for for the M50X. The only reason they cost so much is because they got popular at a lower price point, then got inflated because everyone kept buying them.

EDIT: I also kind of recommend V-Moda Crossfade LPs, but that's for very specific purposes. They carry budget sound but valuable bass. The clarity is absolutely abysmal compared to other headphones in its price range.

May 5, 2014 at 1:08 AM Post #28 of 31
Hey sorry to thread hijack, but I've been looking at the HD 558 because they seem perfect to me in terms of like comfort, soundstage, price, etc. But what I'm worried about is the sound leaking out. Like I think I'd use the cans mostly in my dorm room, but I do have a roommate and I don't want to disturb him. It's really quiet in our room so I'd be more concerned with leaking out rather than in. So in a quiet environment how much do you think I'd disturb someone about 10 feet behind me, if I have the volume fairly low. He usually has headphones on, but if he doesn't I wouldn't want to bother his studying.
Thanks!

May 5, 2014 at 5:42 AM Post #30 of 31

I've got a pair of SRH840's. I used to like them but now I never listen to them. They sound very bland in my opinion. If you were in the EU we could do a deal but with packaging & import tax it's not worth it for either of us. I think you've just dodged a bullet there.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back