Sennheiser HD-555 for big heads?
Jun 24, 2009 at 7:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

asdfTT123

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I'm looking to get a pair of HD-555's for music and gaming in my office. I've been known to have a pretty big head...I measured the circumference to be 61 cm (19.4 cm diameter and 7 5/8 hat size). For those who own a pair, how do they tend to fit your head? Will I be okay with my head size or are there additional measurements I should test? Thanks!

Jun 24, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #2 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by asdfTT123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys,

I'm looking to get a pair of HD-555's for music and gaming in my office. I've been known to have a pretty big head...I measured the circumference to be 63 cm (20.05 cm diameter). For those who own a pair, how do they tend to fit your head? Will I be okay with my head size or are there additional measurements I should test? Thanks!

uhm, maybe you should use speakers instead of headphones. just a suggestion.

Jun 24, 2009 at 9:29 PM Post #4 of 14
I have a big head. With the HD555, I experienced a lot of clamping.

Jun 24, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #6 of 14
The HD555 do clamp quite a bit for me as well making them uncomfortable. Maybe you should look into the AD700. I feel they are better overall for music and gaming than the HD555, plus they are far more comfortable with almost no clamping force.

Jun 24, 2009 at 11:44 PM Post #8 of 14
Agreed, at first they were quite tight but either I got used to them or they loosened up. I have a smallish head though. The headband adjustment for size adjusts quite a bit, but the thing about that is the headband is circular, so the more you adjust HD555's for a bigger head, the more they will clamp because the cans themselves are being brought closer together. I find it difficult to explain this properly, if I had a camera I would take pictures to show you what I mean.

Jun 25, 2009 at 8:19 AM Post #9 of 14
I have a big head. Unfortunately I've experienced uncomfortable clamping on every set of decent open Senns I've tried on. That's HD515, HD555, HD595, HD580 and HD600.

Same problem with the open Goldrings but I've kind of got used to their form factor and learned to put up with it.

I find iGrados to be very comfortable but they're a very different headphone to the HD555s.

You might consider the ATH AD700s or AD900s. They have a reputation for very little clamping.

Edit: Quote:

Originally Posted by Kpalsm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The headband adjustment for size adjusts quite a bit, but the thing about that is the headband is circular, so the more you adjust HD555's for a bigger head, the more they will clamp because the cans themselves are being brought closer together.

That's exactly the problem. I've got round it with the Goldrings by tilting the headband towards my forehead, so I don't have to extend it as far. Think I did the same when I borrowed HD580s and it made them bearable.

Jun 25, 2009 at 9:03 AM Post #10 of 14
Sometimes being a little guy has it's advantages
biggrin.gif

Jun 25, 2009 at 2:48 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by JayB18 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HD555 do clamp quite a bit for me as well making them uncomfortable. Maybe you should look into the AD700. I feel they are better overall for music and gaming than the HD555, plus they are far more comfortable with almost no clamping force.

x2

I have owned the HD555 and AD700.

The AD700 seems designed for a wider / larger head, also often recommended for gaming where positional audio is important.

The HD555 is noticeably more narrow fitting, very comfortable for my average width head.

For bigger bass for explosions and impact in gaming, you'll want closed headphones or open headphones that can produce that kind of bass. And that would not be the AD700 or HD555.

Also, if not wanting to bother others with the noise that exits the headphones, closed headphones would be the way to go. Open headphones leak much more sound out than closed headphones.

Jun 26, 2009 at 11:44 PM Post #14 of 14
my hd555's clamed a bit for the first little while i used them but they very quickly became incredibly comfy, now i wear them nearly all the time when i'm in my room and feel no discomfort.

i have a 7 5/8ish hat size as well, i think it may actually be bigger than that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back