sennheiser HD 555 change in specs?
Dec 20, 2004 at 8:49 PM Post #31 of 36
The 50-Ohm HD595 finally got about 80 hours of burn-in, and it's now possible to do a fair comparison with the older 120-Ohm-version. I'm sorry that It took quite a few days. It's because I'm living in a one room appartment and so burn-in was only possible while being off.

As expected the 120-Ohm- and the 50-Ohm-HD595 sound almost the same, but there are slight differences. The new version seems to have a bit more pace than the older one. It's a bit more forward and aggressive sounding. The downside is that it has lost some of the 120-Ohm-HD595's smoothness that I really appreciate. Anyway the 50-Ohm-version seems to reveal a little bit more detail, but does this in a somehow slightly more artificially sounding manner. After all I prefer the smoother and more relaxing sound of my older HD595.
So I'll return the 50-Ohm-HD595 tomorrow to my local headphone dealer and keep my older 120-Ohm-HD595.

At the end of my short statement I want to underline that the explained differences are very subtle. Both, the 120-Ohm- as well as the 50-Ohm-HD595, are excellent headphones with almost the same sound characteristics. What I'm trying to avoid is a 'New HD595-version no longer a good headphone'-furor. It's been too many times here on Head-Fi that very harsh verdicts (negative as well as favorable ones) are hyped so that they almost kill a factual and differentiated debate on a product.

Dec 21, 2004 at 2:15 AM Post #32 of 36
Thanks much Sisyphos !! Head-fi is a very friendly and interesting forum - sometimes so much that the hype + bash degree can get unbelievably high. Your real experiment may indeed be helpful.

Dec 21, 2004 at 9:57 AM Post #33 of 36
I'm also very pleased, Sisyphos, by your account.

I'm (well, so it should be) just about to receive my new HD595 and I will say I hope it's the 50ohm version.
I think I'd personally like the (for how) slightly more pacey, forward and revealing sound.
They're qualities I can never get enough of...
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway, as phones tend to continue getting smoother with (playing) time, some more burn-in could bring further improvements...there seems to be never enough of it...
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 21, 2004 at 11:29 AM Post #34 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sisyphos
At the end of my short statement I want to underline that the explained differences are very subtle. Both, the 120-Ohm- as well as the 50-Ohm-HD595, are excellent headphones with almost the same sound characteristics. What I'm trying to avoid is a 'New HD595-version no longer a good headphone'-furor. It's been too many times here on Head-Fi that very harsh verdicts (negative as well as favorable ones) are hyped so that they almost kill a factual and differentiated debate on a product.

Sisyphos, if Senn say that the current printed specs on the 650 are in error, maybe the change in quoted impedance for the 595 is an error also, which would mean that the differences you're hearing have more to do with changed production techniques and tolerances since the fire than an actual change in specs. Maybe you need to burn the 50 ohm pair in a while longer and see if they smooth out.

Dec 21, 2004 at 11:38 AM Post #35 of 36
I believe whatever impedance is printed on the box. Sisyphos, was 50 ohms specified in the package ? Do you remember whether there's any sensitivity (or that meaningless 'max spl') difference with older 120 ohms ?

Feb 14, 2005 at 7:02 PM Post #36 of 36
Quick remark on the 50 ohm 595 (40+ hours burn-in by now): to me, and with my system (particularly my amp), it conveys NO sort of sense of artful detail - I'd even prefer if it was more rudely carved
tongue.gif
than I hear it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Can't comment much on the forwardness, except saying that it seems to strike 'right' also here to me.
So far, if the sound was only a tad clearer I would be perfectly happy with them. Burn-in continues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back