Sennheiser HD 518
May 23, 2013 at 7:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

TrippleHelix

New Head-Fier
Hey Guys, new here and I'm new to audiophile-ness and so I'm looking for good entry level headphones, I have been told that my best choice are the HD 518's. Are there any ways that I can change or modify the hardware in these headphones, for example, since the parts are interchangeable, can I put newer, better ones in there when need be. Also what are my other options in this price range, I'm pretty well set on these, but I'm still open to other options.
Lastly, what is the best DAC amp I should get with these, I am still looking for a inexpensive factor, but still maintaining the quality. (The plan is to use these headphones with this amp and into my laptop, but I also have other things I can use with it, but that would be my main set up)
Thanks Guys :)

May 23, 2013 at 8:56 AM Post #2 of 5
Hello!

May I know what type of sound are you looking for? Tried the HD518 and I "don't really" like it... Even when paired with an amp. While the Sennheiser sound signature is there but other than that, nothing much left for me. 
size]

Billson

May 24, 2013 at 9:02 AM Post #3 of 5
THanks I guess that opens me up to any more suggestions out side of sennheiser. My price range is upto 200$ but id like to pay 200$ total for both some good starting headphones and an amp.
Any suggestions, brands, headphones, amps, something to start 

May 24, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #4 of 5
THanks I guess that opens me up to any more suggestions out side of sennheiser. My price range is upto 200$ but id like to pay 200$ total for both some good starting headphones and an amp.
Any suggestions, brands, headphones, amps, something to start 

For headphones:
HD439
MDR-7506
SRH-840
Image-One

All those above headphones are pretty good headphone under $200. They are all meant for different taste but if you wanted "everything under the roof", I would highly recommend they SRH-840 which I love it for it's smooth mids and the right bass for movies. In terms of soundstages, HD439 takes the bite. Image-One is a V-Shape sounding headphone also known as sound fun sounding. MDR-7506 on the other hand, have the least bass of all but it offer the very neutral sound signature, clear clean fairly detailed sound. They are all too different to be compared all are as I said, pretty good for the price.

As for amp, for your budget, do look into the FiiO!

Hope this help!
Billson :)

Sep 5, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #5 of 5
May I use your knowledge ? I just got hd518s and I amp them with a fiio e12. I'd like to try them through the speaker out of an old Yamaha cr600 receiver. I tried the headphone out and it craps out at high volume. Are the speaker taps available from Rolls and ART any good ? I'm thinking that vintage sound could be quite pleasant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back