Sennheiser HD 518
Mar 3, 2012 at 6:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

navi86

New Head-Fier
Hi there,
I am currently looking at getting the Sennheisers HD 518. I am no audiophile in terms of headphones and have not tried many models, especially open back high end cans. Nevertheless I still like quality when listening to something (music, game, movie) on my PC. I am currently using Sennheiser HD 205 (not sure | or ||), which i modded with Beyerdynamics EDT250 velour pads due to comfort issues. I do not use headphone amp as my Creative X-FI Platinum is more than enough for my current setup.

My question is will I see big improvement in the overall sound quality if I go for the HD 518? Being on a tight budget that is as far as I can stretch it for new cans. :)

I have read a lot of reviews here on head-fi, but can not see them compared to something similar as my current set of cans.

Mar 3, 2012 at 6:36 AM Post #2 of 5
I wonder if there is anywhere stateside you can audition these? 

I have read that some Bestbuy/Magnolia is starting to have 5xx series on display, but I haven't found any of those in the MD area (not looking that hard to be honest)

Mar 3, 2012 at 6:46 AM Post #4 of 5
I wonder if there is anywhere stateside you can audition these? 

I have read that some Bestbuy/Magnolia is starting to have 5xx series on display, but I haven't found any of those in the MD area (not looking that hard to be honest)

I would love to test them, but here in the UK they do not allow testing of headphones anymore, because of some stupid health and safety issues. So I will have to rely on people's opinions before I commit to buy. The only way to test is to actually buy and if there is something wrong with them in the first 30 days they get replaced or you can upgrade to something of an equal cost or more expensive.

Thanks for the reply

Mar 3, 2012 at 2:34 PM Post #5 of 5
I went to a shop today, tried them (HD 518), liked them and my fiance decided that these would make a nice present and bought them for me. Could not be happier :) . These really take music to another level compared to my HD 205.
The funny thing is that I visited this forum only couple weeks ago and already bought 2 pairs of headphones (HD 218i and HD 518) :) I think I
should stay away for the next year or so :wink:

Thanks for your prompt replies earlier!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back