sennheiser hd 518 or hd 558 or 380 pro?
Sep 18, 2013 at 6:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Omid

New Head-Fier
Hi everybody!
I have a question and i'll appreciate you if you could help me.
I am a musician and i'm looking for a perfect, real, clean and naturalI sound. My budget is about 200 dollars. I listen to different genres (classical, jazz, pop, rock, ...) and i want to choose one of the sennheiser hd 518 & hd 558, and i have not listened to them yet and I have no imagination about their sound quality (my devises are macbook pro and ipod).
I have read about them and i've compared their graphs ( frequency response) but still I'm not sure about quality...
Could you help me know which one has better sound quality and natural sound?
and could you compare them with hd 380 pro?

Sep 18, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #2 of 11
I'm a HD558 owner, so maybe I'm biased.
But I vote HD558, they are selling new for $131.26 (free shipping) right now.
That is the lowest price I've ever seen the HD558s
HD518 would have appeal for those looking for bass, HD558 for everything else.
Have no opinion on the 380 Pro.

Sep 18, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #3 of 11
Hi omid. It seems that you're quite set on going with Sennheiser, nothing wrong with that, but I'm sure you will get other suggestions within your budget. In have owned HD555 for many years, they are exactly the same headphone as 558 and a little cheaper. Surprisingly 555s don't get a lot of attention here, but they are excellent and versatile headphones for a good price, and they are up there with the most comfortable headphones ever made.

But if you're looking for a significant step up from any of those Sennheisers, and you have the ability to use a screwdriver, you might want to look at Fostex T50RP. Even with the most basic modification, just stick on new ear pads and stuff some damping in the cups, you'll have yourself a far superior headphone for $150 than any Sennheiser under $300. But the comfort of the Sennheisers is indeed far far superior, which is a valuable factor for sure.

Sep 19, 2013 at 2:11 AM Post #4 of 11
Nope, being a big Senn fan, the 555 is nothing like the 558, they sound nothing alike. The 558 is much better sounding. The 555 isn't bad but the same. No way. My pick of course out what you listed is the 558. They work pretty good with your music taste.
I got mine for $105 shipped awhile ago. Check with Amazon and you'll see them for around the same price. Everyone bought them up quickly, but even at $130 something, they are still a good buy.

Sep 19, 2013 at 8:37 AM Post #5 of 11
Thank you guys, you are helping me a lot...

So as you said, I think 558 is better than 518, but now I don't know between a high-end headphone (558) and a monitoring headphone (380pro) which one is suitable for me.
I already listen to music with my speakers and the only headphones that i've had were apple in-ear, apple earpod & akg k44(terrible sound!) and I found that they don't have the sound quality that I expect from a headphone, so this would be my first high-end or monitoring headphone. I've used to pay attention to details and sound resolution, and I expect to hear each instrument and each layer, and non of them gave me a naturall sound. (even I listened to Beats and in my opinion it was not naturall and its bass was exaggerated)

(about headphones outward appearance I should say that between headphones under 200$ I like sennheisers because of their simple design and comfort)

So...
1) Does 558 have a detailed sound? should I go for a monitoring headphone?!
2) Could anybody compare 558 vs 380pro?
3) About buying from amazon I have read some people's comments and they were complaining the NEW devises they have bought were USED before! Is this true about amazon?!

Sep 19, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #6 of 11
Thank you guys, you are helping me a lot...

So as you said, I think 558 is better than 518, but now I don't know between a high-end headphone (558) and a monitoring headphone (380pro) which one is suitable for me.
I already listen to music with my speakers and the only headphones that i've had were apple in-ear, apple earpod & akg k44(terrible sound!) and I found that they don't have the sound quality that I expect from a headphone, so this would be my first high-end or monitoring headphone. I've used to pay attention to details and sound resolution, and I expect to hear each instrument and each layer, and non of them gave me a naturall sound. (even I listened to Beats and in my opinion it was not naturall and its bass was exaggerated)

(about headphones outward appearance I should say that between headphones under 200$ I like sennheisers because of their simple design and comfort)

So...
3) About buying from amazon I have read some people's comments and they were complaining the NEW devises they have bought were USED before! Is this true about amazon?!

# 1- The 558 is pretty detailed , it has a mid forward sound, with a lighter bass then the 518, and a tad bit of treble roll off, with a decent soundstage. Comfort is over the top. You can wear them all day really.
#2 Vs the pro 380, I can't really give a good thought on these, as I only used a sample set in a bad environment. For me, they sounded kinda blah! Plus the comfort wasn't to great, I have a medium sized head and they clamp hard. Sound is pretty decent, but for the price I don't think i'd buy them personally.
#3 Never heard of that happening with Amazon? Maybe if your item came from a 3rd party??? If Amazon sells a used product or open box it will be listed as such.

If you are looking for a full size natural/neutral sounding headphone say at under $200,
I like the Shure 440 or 840. For $99 the 440 is one of the most detailed headphones at that range. Comfort is decent, you can swap out the pads with the 840's they fit perfect and are made from memory foam (MUCH) better.
The 840's are just as good sounding, I like the 440 a little better but it really is a taste isuue. The 840 is a tad more refined but at $100 the 440 is great. Is the 840 worth 2 times the price? only you can decide.

For open, For you wants, I really think the 558 would suit you pretty good, Hell even the 598 if you can get a good deal on them for around $200 or less. They are just a little better then the 558, even tho I prefer the 558 personally.

I can't really give much more for you over $200, I've been happy with most stuff at this level...Others could chime in with higher end sets...

Sep 19, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #7 of 11
I already listen to music with my speakers and the only headphones that I've had were apple in-ear, apple earpod & akg k44(terrible sound!) and I found that they don't have the sound quality that I expect from a headphone, so this would be my first high-end or monitoring headphone. I've used to pay attention to details and sound resolution, and I expect to hear each instrument and each layer, and non of them gave me a naturall sound. (even I listened to Beats and in my opinion it was not naturall and its bass was exaggerated)

So...

I know there must be current and former users of the 380 Pro on Head-fi, but I rarely see the 380 Pro recommended, where as lots of HD558 owners have no problem recommending the HD558s.
Amazon might once in a while ship out a used product when the customer ordered new, but Amazon is hugh, mistakes are going to happen. And when Amazon makes a mistake, I'm sure it spreads like wild fire.

Sep 19, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #8 of 11
I wear the 558 for hours every evening. After a few hours to loosen up they are amazingly comfortable. They are good unamped. Amped they are outstanding. Remember these are open. The bass is fine, but these aren't basshead cans. I got mine for $105 refurbished through Amazon.

Oct 18, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #9 of 11
I have the hd 380 pro for a while now and im pretty satisfied with them, i bought them for about 60 american dollars used. I also have the HD 518. in comparison to the hd 518, hd 380 has a more balanced sound(though it's a little bit mid centric). HD 518 wont sound good without EQ IMO, the bass is just too much. On the other hand, hd 380 sounds fine out of my laptop and ipod. Havent heard hd 558 yet. Soundstage is better with HD 518 since its open.

Oct 19, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #11 of 11
I have problem with both of 380 & 558 cables. About 380 I should say it's cable is too long and coiled, not comfortable, I hate it. I don't think it will be possible to change it to a short straight cable simply...
Althogh If I buy 558 I will exchange the cable (because of 3.5 port) and I guess it is possible but I'm not sure about quality after exchanging them!!
Any body knows?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back