Sennheiser HD 518 as a backup option?
Feb 10, 2015 at 12:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Royal Amethyst

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

My current setup is a Sennheiser HD 598 with a Xonar Essence STX. I find these headphones to be clear and neutral and has a good soundstage from my limited experience. I use it for everything from listening to classical, rock, punk, metal, and techno music to high-end gaming. I love it.

However, as most people note with the HD 598, bass is so weak it's almost nonexistent. Negative even. For most of the things I do, this is fine. I know that too many things are over-bassed and can ruin a good piece. But on the other hand, a lot of the stuff I listen to is SUPPOSED to be bass heavy, and I like experiencing that every once in awhile.

As the thread title tips you off, I'm looking at the Sennheiser HD 518 as a backup. I know it's not the quality of my HD 598, but the reviews I've read say it's a great balance of quality and price, as well as the fact that they are very bassy. At only $79 on Amazon, it's a tempting deal.

Just looking for thoughts and opinions.

Feb 10, 2015 at 1:40 AM Post #2 of 17
The HD518 does seem to have a bit more bass than the HD598, but it's still an open headphone and isn't overly bassy - at least not compared to the really bassy headphones like the Sony XB500.

Feb 10, 2015 at 2:04 AM Post #3 of 17
Looks like the Sony XB500'ss sound signature goes all over the place in the mid-high to highs compared to the Senn's relative consistency with each other. Also the Sony's are way more expensive in most places I can find them.
What other recommendations do you have? Should I look into some on-ear phones like Grado sr60s?

Feb 10, 2015 at 4:34 AM Post #4 of 17
I was not suggesting the XB500 are better than the Sennheisers. I was simply using them as an example of what a really bassy headphone looks like. I'm not sure how far in that direction you really want to go.

Feb 11, 2015 at 4:12 AM Post #6 of 17
If you do understand that with more bass comes less clarity and smaller soundstage (at least in the case of the HD5x8), then there's no reason not to buy the HD518 to complement your HD598. Comfort is another factor that the HD5x8 series win hands down. In comparison to the HD598 the HD518 is really bassy, but as billybob said, these are not "bass headphones" like Sony's, VMODA or other closed hp brands. I owned (and sold) both the HD558 and HD598, and while they're very different, I don't think owning both is a great idea. They're just entry-level cans. $79, while not much in the world of headphones, can still make a huge difference when you upgrade in the future. So if I were you I'd save $79 for something else. But if you think this is the end of the journey (that is, if you're absolutely sure that you don't want to spend more on headphones in the future) and if you like the comfort and/or the Sennheiser brand, either buy the HD518 or HD558.

Feb 11, 2015 at 11:15 PM Post #7 of 17
I'm not exactly strapped for cash, but I am also saving my money for something else. So price is only an artificial issue. I don't see myself needing anything better than my HD 598 for a couple years. So I ordered the HD 518, and I'm just going to give it a try. I like listening to similar headphones for comparison anyway, get a feel for them. If I REALLY don't want them, I know someone I can give them to as a gift.

Feb 11, 2015 at 11:36 PM Post #8 of 17
Feb 12, 2015 at 1:11 AM Post #10 of 17
Looking at the graph of the 518, it seems they only measure to have a little more bass. Since you have the STX, I suggest using EQ to add additional bass to your HD598s. Have you tried that?

Feb 12, 2015 at 2:01 AM Post #12 of 17
If you want some bass, how about some maudio q40s, on closeout: http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-Studiophile-Closed-back-Dynamic-Headphones/dp/B000XT8JTM

Feb 12, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #14 of 17
I have a pair of Senn HD518s and they are the first decent cans I've ever owned out of the 16+ I've had over the years.
I find them to be not too bassy at all, (I hate boomy bass), not to mention comfortable. They do lack a tiny bit in the mid-highs which leaves one wanting a tad bit in dynamics to my ears, I think it's just the warm signature they are noted for. I think they have the same drivers as the 558s and 598s and possibly the 600s, but I'm not sure on the 600s. 
Bottom line= You did not go wrong ordering a pair as a spare. It wouldn't be wrong as mains either.
Just my opinion.

Feb 13, 2015 at 10:22 PM Post #15 of 17
having listened to both HD600 and HD650, I'd say that what you speculated is not true. I'm not sure about the drivers on the HD5x8, but yes that is very much possible. However, different housing will create a world of different, and I have found that the HD518, HD558 and the HD598 have quite different sound signature, especially the HD598

Users who are viewing this thread

Back