Sennheiser HD-500 - Faulty headphone wire
Mar 20, 2006 at 1:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

hegoru

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

Just happened to stumble upon this forum and it's great! To be honest I don't really have the vocabulary or nuance for a lot of the things I hear in the discussions but I am very willing the learn.

Anyway back to my problem. I bought hd500s about 4 years ago and they've been working great. I actualy had IXOS headphones previously which were very bass driven and closed which I actually prefer for the train but I've gotten use to the HD500s.

Sorry got sidetracked again, anyway it seems the headphone wires on the HD500s are faulty because if I make slight movements I lose certain frequency ranges. Just curious if there is any place where I can buy the headphone wire from? or any suggestions as to what I should try to do to repair them. (I was thinking I could try and rewire them)

Lastly, I'm also thinking it might be a good time to get new cans. I like the sound that the HD500s produce but i'd like to have a more isolated sound on the Bus/train. I was thinking about the HD555 (I know they're still open) but i'm not sure if it's really even much of an upgrade. Maybe I should just fix my 500s what do you guys think?

Mar 20, 2006 at 1:46 PM Post #2 of 7
Sounds like a broken ground connector. IIRC the cable on the HD500 is the same as for HD570 and HD590, old art.no. 73469, now apparently replaced by 91581. You didn't say where you're located but Sennheiser USA has an online shop that should allow you to order the cable.

BTW, for mobile use an open headphone is not a good choice, as you've noticed. I'd try an AKG K81 DJ or some earphones à la Creative EP-630 or Sennheiser CX-300.

Mar 21, 2006 at 6:23 AM Post #3 of 7
thanks for the reply I guess I'll get them fixed for home use.

I was thinking about the K81s actually but have decided to go with the cheaper ATH-PRO30s for now. I'll see how I like them. The K81s are in my sight though
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 21, 2006 at 7:15 AM Post #4 of 7
I'm not sure if it's worth getting them fixed, have you ever heard any headphones of higher quality than the HD500s? It may be worth a try since in my experience the HD500s were somewhat dissapointing, muddy bass, and un-defined mids. The HD555s that you mentioned are excellent headphones for the price and are a big upgrade from the 500s, they're open but it doesn't really makes a huge difference, I use my 650s on the bus and I don't have to turn it up to ear drum shattering levels. Oh, and welcome to Head-fi sorry about your wallet
biggrin.gif

Mar 21, 2006 at 4:14 PM Post #5 of 7
I don't have much context for the HD500s since I used mostly DJ headphones previously. But I would agree the bass is a bit generous and not always in a good way the mids are definitely undefined. But yea I've picked up the ATH30PROs as my communter cans, might try out the K81DJs later

But the 555s would definitely be on my wish list for home listening.

In terms of the 500s just to do a cable replacement doesn't seem worth it to you?

And yes I fear for my wallet
biggrin.gif

Mar 21, 2006 at 11:42 PM Post #6 of 7
Well if you can replace it yourself then go right on ahead I guess, cables are usually pretty cheap from Sennheiser, but it takes forever for them to get it to you, if it ever gets shipped out that is. It would probably be worth it if the cable is user replaceable but if you have to send it into Sennheiser then probably not. IDK because I never had the desire to open up my old 500s, good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back