Sennheiser HD 490 Pro Plus coming?
Feb 8, 2024 at 5:50 PM Post #421 of 569
While the NDH30 do more or less exactly as Neumann intended, emulate their monitors with an easy listening and balanced sound, they were not what I was expecting so did not hold onto to them for long.... possible the 490 Pro might be more in line with my preference but I'm not in the market right now for another set of phones.

I think you would luv them based on what I know of your preferences

Feb 8, 2024 at 11:11 PM Post #422 of 569
Also, want to add one more thought on my initial impressions. I’ve seen folks say these sound like the HD 600 or Shure 1840 or NDH 30 and again, I think they sound most similar to the HD 560S. I have all of these headphones. From what I’ve seen, it appears that they may be the exact same drivers, and it sounds like that would be the case with other associated hardware/acoustic improvements.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2024 at 12:28 AM Post #423 of 569
Also, want to add one more thought on my initial impressions. I’ve seen folks say these sound like the HD 600 or Shure 1840 or NDH 30 and again, I think they sound most similar to the HD 560S. I have all of these headphones. From what I’ve seen, it appears that they may be the exact same drivers, and it sounds like that would be the case with other associated hardware/acoustic improvements.
It seems the HD 560S/400 Pro, HD 490 Pro, and NDH-30 all have the same drivers or at least very similar drivers with different damping and housings and probably tolerances. Though the NDH-30 isn’t as physically open as the HD 560S and HD 490 Pro which would alter the sound of the driver moreso.

The HD 560S and HD 490 Pro both have the plastic tube thing going on the rear of the driver though it’s implemented different, it’s glued on in the HD 560S whereas it’s implemented through the spider cage thing on the HD 490 Pro. The NDH-30 on the other hand uses a damping cap on the rear of the magnet (which will dramatically influence the sound) akin to what’s found in some of the Tesla Beyers (DT 1990, etc.).

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2024 at 4:48 AM Post #424 of 569
While the NDH30 do more or less exactly as Neumann intended, emulate their monitors with an easy listening and balanced sound, they were not what I was expecting so did not hold onto to them for long.... possible the 490 Pro might be more in line with my preference but I'm not in the market right now for another set of phones.
Hi Rob, interesting to read for me. I still hold on to my HD660S2. That headphone in contrast did completely meet my preference without any further open demands. I only could use a closed Sennheiser in that ballpark. But maybe it will be a HD820S some day for me. Need to sell the Sony Z1R or tade it in.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2024 at 7:51 AM Post #425 of 569
Hi Rob, interesting to read for me. I still hold on to my HD660S2.
Yep...still have mine...believe it was round this time last year 1st orders went in.

I think you would luv them based on what I know of your preferences
As for these 490's, maybe so but currently no itches to scratch.:beyersmile:

Feb 9, 2024 at 11:40 AM Post #427 of 569
For me is the "good for games" part that interest me in the 490, the ndh30 is not better than the 560S for games on my experience.
Certainly was better for me. The 560S has really low-resolving bass and less comfortable highs in comparison (for me)

Feb 9, 2024 at 1:27 PM Post #428 of 569
It seems the HD 560S/400 Pro, HD 490 Pro, and NDH-30 all have the same drivers or at least very similar drivers with different damping and housings and probably tolerances. Though the NDH-30 isn’t as physically open as the HD 560S and HD 490 Pro which would alter the sound of the driver moreso.

The HD 560S and HD 490 Pro both have the plastic tube thing going on the rear of the driver though it’s implemented different, it’s glued on in the HD 560S whereas it’s implemented through the spider cage thing on the HD 490 Pro. The NDH-30 on the other hand uses a damping cap on the rear of the magnet (which will dramatically influence the sound) akin to what’s found in some of the Tesla Beyers (DT 1990, etc.).
Thanks. Yes, offhand I would also say the NDH 30 has a very similar Sennheiser sound profile happening, definitely more so than the Shure 1840 in my opinion.

Feb 9, 2024 at 2:14 PM Post #429 of 569
Waiting for these ones to arrive.

I had the HD560S, but i blew one of its drivers by mistake on the bench. I did managed to use them for a while and remember that they sounded a bit on the thin side, thinner than my HD600 for example. Didn't find that very pleasing, although they did have a better, more engagjng soundstage to my HD600.

Hope the HD490 retain (or even improve) the staging ability of the HD560S, while adding some 'meat' to the sound, which personally I consider it a compuslory addition.

Basically, my expectations are for a combination of:

a. the quality mids of HD600
b. the engaging soundstage of their angled-driver HD5.. line
c. the impactful lower octaves of HD599 or HD650

Will report back when i get them on my ears.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2024 at 7:02 PM Post #430 of 569
Recently I decided to upgrade my headphones. I’ve been using AKG K712 as my reference open-back pair of cans. Two new candidates were Sennheiser HD 490 Pro and Neumann NDH 30. So I ordered both. Sennheisers (I paid 450 Euro for Plus Edition) arrived first. I was immediately impressed by how much more detailed they sounded in comparison with K712. Low end is well extended, tight and defined.

NDH 30 arrived one day later. Build quality is absolutely amazing and they make such a beautiful combo when paired with silver Mac. HD 490 even though they look futuristic and minimalistic do not have the same wow-effect. After reading all the reviews of the NDH 30 I was pretty sure I’ll end up buying them. They share the same sound DNA as Sennheisers. Their sound reminded me of 490‘s with producer pads, but with even more pronounced low mids. And for me that’s their biggest weakness, because this low end emphasis makes transients of kick and bass sound pillowy and less defined. I’m not sure if I would be 100 percent confident when dialing low end on these headphones. Low end on HD 490 Pro with mixing pads sounds balanced and articulated. Listening to some reference tracks I noticed that vocals on Neumanns sound somewhat buried in the mix compared to Sennheisers. 490’s tonality is amazing, instrument’s separation is great. Stereo image is pretty much the same on both of them. Don’t get me wrong, they both are great headphones, we’re talking about really small differences, but for me they were decisive.

I still have both and I’m still testing them, but after first two days Sennheisers are the way to go for me.

Feb 9, 2024 at 7:52 PM Post #431 of 569
Recently I decided to upgrade my headphones. I’ve been using AKG K712 as my reference open-back pair of cans. Two new candidates were Sennheiser HD 490 Pro and Neumann NDH 30. So I ordered both. Sennheisers (I paid 450 Euro for Plus Edition) arrived first. I was immediately impressed by how much more detailed they sounded in comparison with K712. Low end is well extended, tight and defined.

NDH 30 arrived one day later. Build quality is absolutely amazing and they make such a beautiful combo when paired with silver Mac. HD 490 even though they look futuristic and minimalistic do not have the same wow-effect. After reading all the reviews of the NDH 30 I was pretty sure I’ll end up buying them. They share the same sound DNA as Sennheisers. Their sound reminded me of 490‘s with producer pads, but with even more pronounced low mids. And for me that’s their biggest weakness, because this low end emphasis makes transients of kick and bass sound pillowy and less defined. I’m not sure if I would be 100 percent confident when dialing low end on these headphones. Low end on HD 490 Pro with mixing pads sounds balanced and articulated. Listening to some reference tracks I noticed that vocals on Neumanns sound somewhat buried in the mix compared to Sennheisers. 490’s tonality is amazing, instrument’s separation is great. Stereo image is pretty much the same on both of them. Don’t get me wrong, they both are great headphones, we’re talking about really small differences, but for me they were decisive.

I still have both and I’m still testing them, but after first two days Sennheisers are the way to go for me.
Be sure to wear the Neumann-NDH-30 correctly, I have seen even reviewers put it on the wrong way, l/r reversed or with the angled drivers positioned too much to the front end of the ears. Very interesting read, thanks for your impressions :)

Feb 9, 2024 at 10:02 PM Post #432 of 569

Big downside of the NDH30 is the sound changes depending on the position of the earcups. Even slight movements produces changes to the sound.. Big flaw inherent to the design of that HP in my experience. No such issue with 490.

Feb 10, 2024 at 2:48 AM Post #433 of 569

This is very curious because the NDH have never been measured or reported by anyone to have even slightly pronounced lower mids! Moreover, the area between 100Hz and 800Hz is slightly recessed (1-2 dB) compared to a very slight rise towards 60 Hz. It is not a Harman type rise, not even 1/3 of it and it surely does not "bleed" to the higher bass or lower mids (!) . On the contrary, the velour pads of the HD 490 show exactly this undesirable effect: pronounced lower mids and bass; it is the reason that made me write in a previous post that I prefer the fabric "mixing" pads.
Investigate what went wrong because if you don't like pronounced lower mids the HD 490 Pro with velour pads is not an option - no such fear with the NDH 30, the have one of the most flat/neutral and detailed area from 30 Hz to 1kHz.
(Also as mentioned above, you must have the cable on the right side, as designed, because of the off-center and angled drivers but I suppose you have been careful about that.)

Feb 10, 2024 at 2:53 AM Post #434 of 569
Big downside of the NDH30 is the sound changes depending on the position of the earcups. Even slight movements produces changes to the sound.. Big flaw inherent to the design of that HP in my experience. No such issue with 490.
Honestly I don't find it is a big issue. The change is slight (it has been very hyped by those that tested them wearing them reversed R-L). One learns intuitively and very fast to put them on the head centered and it never becomes an issue again.

Feb 10, 2024 at 3:10 AM Post #435 of 569
Hello everyone.

Why not choose the Sennheiser HD-400 Pro, which perhaps combines the best of the two tonal presentations offered by the two pads (producer and mixing) of the new Sennheiser HD 490 Pro, while being almost half the price of the latter, and also having a better tonality (less brigh in the treble) than that of the pre-2023 HD-560S?

In this review of the HD-490 Pro (https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brands-s-se/hd490-pro/) we learn several interesting things:

1- the HD-490 Pro comes with two different pads that sound different.
- Velvet pads (with memory foam), called “Producer pads”
- Fabric pads, called “Mixing pads”.

2- the HD-400 Pro corresponds to the new 2023 version of the HD-560S, which sounds warmer and less bright (between 4 KHz and 10 KHz) than the old version (pre 2023) of the HD- 560S.
(quote: "The above comparison uses the >2023 HD 560S (HD 400 Pro) as there have been some small changes to the HD 560S as of 2023 making it less 'bright' sounding. The older version (3m cable) is just a few dB 'hotter' between 4kHz and 10kHz").

3- The HD-400 Pro (aka HD-560S 2023) has an intermediate tone between the HD-490 Pro equipped with velvet “producer” pads and the HD-490 Pro equipped with fabric “mixing” pads; it brings together, in a way, the best of both worlds.
(quote: "What is interesting is that, in tonality, the HD 400 PRO (which is the pro version of the HD 560S (2023)) is right between both HD 490 PRO pad signatures, kind of the best of both worlds?" ).

24020106450523553818348996.jpg

Otherwise, you will find below the tonal responses (FR) of the HD 400 Pro (aka HD-560S 2023) and the HD-560S (pre 2023) versus Hifiman Sundara (2020) taken as reference headphones for the FR, for its tone, one of the fairest.

24020112500923553818348775.png

24020101451823553818348806.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back