Sennheiser HD 490 Pro Plus coming?
Feb 7, 2024 at 3:19 PM Post #406 of 566
Hey! It's kind of counter intuitive but the connector going to the 490 is a female mini-xlr. If you go to that link in the previous post, any of the 'HC-8' models linked at the bottom of the page will work with the 490 cans. For a full size 4 pin xlr on the source side (your balanced amp's XLR output) just make sure to choose [M] 4-pin XLR in the drop-down on whichever product page you end up using 👍🏼.

Hopefully that made sense 😂. Away from my desk at the moment or else I could provide some more links / pictures.
Got it! I thought [M] meant mini. It means male, which completely makes a sense! Male/female with these connectors are clearly tricky for me. lol

A couple more questions please since I have your attention. :) What is the length of your stock HC-8 cable? And, do you personally hear a sound improvement with the braided cable?

Feb 7, 2024 at 4:58 PM Post #408 of 566
Correct, they have different systems of attachment (similar philosophy though).

Speaking of pads, it is also correct that each of the "mixing" pads has two small recesses under the fabric, at the points where glass arms pass between the pad and the head. They can be felt by hand as softer spots on the pads. Consequently they need to be attached with the correct orientation. Their purpose is to allow full contact of the pads with the head to maintain the bass response. This is a nice feature since the mixing pads are already a little bass-light. I am not sure that the velour pads have this future but they surely don't need it since they are made with memory foam inside (very visible if you press a pad with fingers).
At the end, did you purchase them?

Feb 7, 2024 at 5:26 PM Post #409 of 566
Got it! I thought [M] meant mini. It means male, which completely makes a sense! Male/female with these connectors are clearly tricky for me. lol

A couple more questions please since I have your attention. :) What is the length of your stock HC-8 cable? And, do you personally hear a sound improvement with the braided cable?
All of our stock headphone cables are 4.5 ft. If you order in the custom shop there's options for other lengths though 👍🏼. I would not anticipate a discernable difference in sound between our braided cables and standard cables. They're all made with the same Mogami conductor we use. Any differences in price between our various assembly styles comes from varying resource / labor / material costs.

Feb 7, 2024 at 10:17 PM Post #410 of 566
I think this 490 pro is going to take over duties for a precise HP that can do classical from my trusty 600. Finding I don't even want to pick up the 600 anymore. Thinking about selling it, but I will hold off for awhile incase something goes wrong w the 490. 650 will stay as my musical laid back HP tho

Feb 7, 2024 at 10:35 PM Post #411 of 566
Just got my 490 Pros today. LOVE how tight the bass sounds (velour pads) and just so overall pleasing to my ears! Never had any Senn's that I was so happy to listen to music with.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2024 at 1:42 AM Post #412 of 566
At the end, did you purchase them?
No, it was the Pro version at the store; I d' like to have the Pro Plus for the case and extra cable. Also, I may have another chance to listen/compare again if an Athens Headphone Show takes place in spring. Having the NDH 30 already, I want to be sure that a new headphone will share listening time (longterm) before I give my money. It is always worth it to wait for an offer or a price drop, too.

Feb 8, 2024 at 1:58 AM Post #413 of 566
Damnit why do they have to do this when I just got a pair of 660S2s and a balanced silver cable for my 6XXs :unamused:

Feb 8, 2024 at 2:06 AM Post #414 of 566
Damnit why do they have to do this when I just got a pair of 660S2s and a balanced silver cable for my 6XXs :unamused:
Being content is the path to enlightenment.

Now buy that 490 :relaxed:

Feb 8, 2024 at 2:17 AM Post #415 of 566
Being content is the path to enlightenment.

Now buy that 490 :relaxed:

Not before I try to get a friend to buy a pair so I can swap one of mine for an extended demo :smile:

Feb 8, 2024 at 3:37 PM Post #417 of 566
That's amazing! Gotta keep looking. :sunglasses: How do you like you NDH 30 by the way?
While the NDH30 do more or less exactly as Neumann intended, emulate their monitors with an easy listening and balanced sound, they were not what I was expecting so did not hold onto to them for long.... possible the 490 Pro might be more in line with my preference but I'm not in the market right now for another set of phones.

Feb 8, 2024 at 3:55 PM Post #418 of 566
First quick initial impressions with producer pads: these sound to me like an improved version of the 560S in sound, design and comfort. The 560S is extremely uncomfortable to me and I’ve always thought it sounded anemic or lacking authority.

I think this version may actually give it enough clarity and imaging, and definitely comfort, to bypass those 560S negatives which I’ve heard others voice as well. I don’t necessarily hear a greater amount of oomph, but I think the other improvements may make up for that. Offhand, I believe I also hear less of an emphasis or annoying emphasis, in the treble region.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2024 at 4:36 PM Post #419 of 566
While the NDH30 do more or less exactly as Neumann intended, emulate their monitors with an easy listening and balanced sound, they were not what I was expecting so did not hold onto to them for long.... possible the 490 Pro might be more in line with my preference but I'm not in the market right now for another set of phones.
Thank you for sharing!!

Feb 8, 2024 at 5:07 PM Post #420 of 566
I picked up the HD 490 Pro for its intended use of mixing / producing. I want a headphone that is flat, comfortable, and relatively easy to drive. I'm using it with various audio interfaces (e.g. MOTU, Focusright) and headphone circuits in various other pieces of pro audio gear.

I don't want a headphone that makes things sound nice, I want a flat-ish headphone that can highlight problems in a mix. The 490 Pro on the mixing pads, when lightly EQed, gets me there much better than my previous tracking/mixing phones, the Sony MDR-V7 and MDR-V6. Clearly, I'm not exactly an audiophile, but these Sennheisers are working for me. (and yes, I've used the HD 600, "properly" driven)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back