Sennheiser HD 490 Pro Plus coming?
Feb 3, 2024 at 10:36 PM Post #376 of 566
I’d be curious to hear what people are using to power their 490 pros in their assessments as that may make a noticeable difference.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2024 at 3:39 AM Post #378 of 566
I’d be curious to hear what people are using to power their 490 pros in their assessments as that may make a noticeable difference.
Hi, I do think that it is very source-dependent. I got some serious headphones, including hd600, 660s2. Between smsl sp400 with su-10 and ibasso elite difference is very clear when listening with 490 pro. I can hear the difference too with other Sennheisers, but it is more subtle I think. The first thing that comes to my mind is, I can really use them to immediately describe the difference between sources. And I am not even trying. 490 Pro has a very high separation of instruments. Timbre is more on the analytical side, some weight is missing for sure. Not as musical and organic sounding as HD600. My SMSL stack is organic, soft, musical, and smooth, adding some weight to lower notes. 660s2 is getting too dark, lower notes are overwhelming a little on some tracks. And it is a very good match with 490 Pro. I like how they sound with natural, laid-back presentation. In some way it is like shure 1840 succesor not 560s.

Feb 4, 2024 at 4:49 AM Post #379 of 566
I think that the title of the thread as started by @Groundhog should change. The "coming" is now unnecessary and the "Plus" just indicates an alternative package with a nice protective case and extra cable. The model name is just "HD 490 PRO". Since it did appear at shops immediately after its announcement (in Europe too, lol) it deserves a clean thread title!

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2024 at 4:53 AM Post #380 of 566
Sennheiser never seems to succeed in surpassing the HD600, with a good amp and some PEQ to personal liking they are very hard to beat.
The 490 was never meant to succeed the 600. It is firmly in the Pro sector.

I really think some folks here may have to adjust expectations.

Feb 4, 2024 at 5:04 AM Post #381 of 566
The 490 was never meant to succeed the 600. It is firmly in the Pro sector.

I really think some folks here may have to adjust expectations.
Correct, however "audiophiles" happen to value pro headphones very much sometimes. Its form is very close to the HD 6## series, rather surpassing their comfortness, too. As for sound quality the HD 490 Pro has some more to offer than any in the HD 6## series (eg. extended, clear bass and more "out of the head" sound), though it might loose something elsewhere. Time may show that it has a great ability for musicality and enjoyment, winning a place in the consumer sector, too. (The pro-oriented NDH 30, for one, did that with a superb sound, musicality and technicalities).

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2024 at 5:38 AM Post #382 of 566
Agree. But why constantly comparing the headphone with a 600/650? If Senn wanted it to sound like one they would have numbered it 6... . Look at it for what it is and what it's meant for.

Hopefully I get to hear one soon. Several stockists here in Barca.

Feb 4, 2024 at 5:54 AM Post #383 of 566
I've made a decision. I had ordered a second pair of 490s, which were significantly cheaper, and was determined to keep them and perhaps even add the 600s. However, I found the second pair to be significantly worse than the first. I found myself listening to the 490s for shorter periods and increasingly switching to the 600s. The 600 with the MK2 is just rock 'n' roll. Therefore, the second 490 is also going back, and I'll be getting a better tube amp soon. Thanks for everything I've been able to learn here and for what this combination triggers in me!

I've made a decision. I had ordered a second pair of 490s, which were significantly cheaper, and was determined to keep them and perhaps even add the 600s. However, I found the second pair to be significantly worse than the first. I found myself listening to the 490s for shorter periods and increasingly switching to the 600s. The 600 with the MK2 is just rock 'n' roll. Therefore, the second 490 is also going back, and I'll be getting a better tube amp soon. Thanks for everything I've been able to learn here and for what this combination triggers in me! 😊

This is my man:L3000: Enjoy the music and greetings to your wife ^^

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2024 at 6:28 AM Post #384 of 566
Agree. But why constantly comparing the headphone with a 600/650? If Senn wanted it to sound like one they would have numbered it 6... . Look at it for what it is and what it's meant for.

Hopefully I get to hear one soon. Several stockists here in Barca.
Sennheiser Pro would certainly not be allowed to release a 600 series headphone. Sonova would sue their butts off.

Feb 4, 2024 at 7:57 AM Post #385 of 566
https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/about/who-are-we/

Solderdude and Rabbit are back - always liked the reviews. This one contains well more technical detail than the others I've seen, with the usual understated yet clear evaluations. Alternates listed at end.

The CSD and distortion numbers are very good BTW. With the fabric pads they seem to lean more towards a HD-600 sound, and with the velour more like 58X/650 with emphasis on mid-bass through lower mids. My preference would be the fabric I'm pretty sure.

One thing not gone into is the impedance of 120 ohms measured. For those that want the HD-600 sound, but don't have an OTL tube, or want to get out of the OTL tube ownership, but like the sound (w/ a bit more lower bass) this *could* be the path.

Feb 5, 2024 at 6:06 AM Post #387 of 566
Impedance is the same as AKG K612. I wondering how HD490 Pro compared with R70x?
My Toyota also has four wheels, like a Ferrari. I wonder how they compare.

Feb 5, 2024 at 6:29 AM Post #389 of 566
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back