Sennheiser HD 490 Pro Plus coming?
Jan 31, 2024 at 7:23 PM Post #302 of 570
They dropped some hints and it kinda reads like a "trickle-down" from a certain flagship, in fashion of Grell creating the HD 650 as an approximation back then - so not necessarily the same technology.

We will see

Jan 31, 2024 at 7:32 PM Post #304 of 570
The honeymoon phase with my HD490 pro is finally over, i thought i would keep it, but after listening the HD600 for some hours, the hd490 pro sounds like sh***.
This thing can´t unleash any emotions in me - mushy, liveless, boring, dull and flat without any roarrrrr. - even the poor 560s/400pro is premium maximus against this thing.
I will probably buy a second HD600 before there are no more available.
Maybe next time, Sennheiser

cheers:beerchug:

lol. dude. you were all about it for a hot minute there.

Feb 1, 2024 at 3:07 AM Post #306 of 570
The honeymoon phase with my HD490 pro is finally over, i thought i would keep it, but after listening the HD600 for some hours, the hd490 pro sounds like sh***.
This thing can´t unleash any emotions in me - mushy, liveless, boring, dull and flat without any roarrrrr. - even the poor 560s/400pro is premium maximus against this thing.
I will probably buy a second HD600 before there are no more available.
Maybe next time, Sennheiser

cheers:beerchug:
A bit harsh perhaps? I have not heard the 490 but I simply can not imagine Sennheiser making a Pro phone that is 'crap'.

It may not be to your taste and it may be different to the decades old 6 series (which had their share of criticism) but it seems to do ok overall. Also worth pointing out that Senn doesn't aim these at leisure users so the balance is likely going to be different than other series, including 6's. From that perspective, afficionadas of the latter will likely be disappointed and stick to what they are familiar with.

Personally, I want Headphones that sound different to each other. Not ones that have minute incremental changes (6 ...)

Only time will tell.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2024 at 8:04 AM Post #307 of 570
A bit harsh perhaps? I have not heard the 490 but I simply can not imagine Sennheiser making a Pro phone that is 'crap'.

It may not be to your taste and it may be different to the decades old 6 series (which had their share of criticism) but it seems to do ok overall. Also worth pointing out that Senn doesn't aim these at leisure users so the balance is likely going to be different than other series, including 6's. From that perspective, afficionadas of the latter will likely be disappointed and stick to what they are familiar with.

Personally, I want Headphones that sound different to each other. Not ones that have minute incremental changes (6 ...)

Only time will tell.

Sometimes people just have a difficult time letting go of or restructuring their thoughts around the old thing they love. In the case of the 490 tho, it's just better overall than the 600/650 (and even 660S2). I feel like this headphone will take over the midrange segment as the one people recommend the quickest in the long run. It's that good.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2024 at 9:00 AM Post #309 of 570
Quick impressions for the producing pads only.

Firstly, the build is fairly solid, on first impressions some might think they feel cheap. They don't. The plastics are very rigid being made from glass fibre-impregnated nylon and Sennheiser has elected to use a metal spring band that takes most of the stress, this also means that the clamp is an order of magnitude lighter than say the HD560s.

Producing pads:

Bass:
Not gonna sugarcoat this, it's warm and decently extends... but it's also a tad bit limp, Not much impact though it's not completely dead. I'd possibly describe it as mushy and somewhat compressed; it's a kin to the likes of DT900 Pro X. But again, not the worst as it still has a bit of life and texture to it.

Lower mids and Mids:
the warmth extends into the lower mids and gives stuff like pianos some body, although with very dry transients. I'd describe the mids themselves to be very Sennheiser like still, however, the timbre is kind of off, if I had to describe it I'd say it's like you're looking through frosted glass in a way.

Upper mids and Treble:
In the upper mids we have a somewhat drastic scoop, not a glaring issue but if you're not used to it, this will make the likes of female vocals sound lifeless for example, however, presents a greater illusion of width to the stage, treble is smooth enough but depending on your ears it COULD be a bit much, I'd personally prefer less, but it's definitely not the most offensive.

If you're into your technical stuff, please run away. What most consider "detail" is nowhere to be found, I'm going to use the frosted glass example again. It has a touch of grain to it and somewhat sounds like stuff is smeared over. You again have the limpness and compression.

Stage and imaging is decent for Sennheiser standards but nobody is going to get excited by it, placement is fine? However, my unit does have a bit of channel imbalance past 1k.
Received the HD 600 today, and now I understand what you meant by, 'if I had to describe it, I’d say it’s akin to looking through frosted glass in a certain way.'

Anyone who owns both should definitely give 'A Kiss to Build a Dream On' by Amber Rubarth (Sessions from the 17th Ward) a listen. After playing this track repeatedly, around 20 times, with both sets of headphones, I can precisely grasp what you were pointing out. Furthermore, your depiction of the treble is spot-on, and it turns out I'm someone for whom it's a bit too pronounced. This becomes more evident at higher volumes; the louder I listen, the more the treble seems to intrude. Conversely, the HD 600 maintains a more balanced increase across the spectrum with volume, ensuring a smoother experience.

Without prior knowledge of the HD 600, I found the HD 490 Pro to be impressive, particularly in how it doesn't skimp on details. Yet, the HD 600 appears to deliver a more holistic 'music experience' across the entire track. Impressive, indeed.

Now, I'm torn:The HD 490 Pro wins hands down in terms of comfort. I've already developed a dislike for the HD 600's cable, whereas the HD 490 Pro's cable is something I greatly value and appreciate for its comfort - it's like I can't even feel it. Additionally, the build quality of the HD 490 Pro, particularly the plastic, feels superior. Its performance in gaming is also noteworthy.

Yet, considering everything I've described, plus the fact that for the price of the HD 490 Pro, I could get an HD 600 and an HD 560S (Refurbished - for gaming), makes the decision tougher than ever.

But one thing is undeniable, @CammyFi: your ability to describe headphone sounds is unparalleled.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2024 at 9:04 AM Post #310 of 570
Feb 1, 2024 at 9:14 AM Post #311 of 570
Received the HD 600 today, and now I understand what you meant by, 'if I had to describe it, I’d say it’s akin to looking through frosted glass in a certain way.'

Anyone who owns both should definitely give 'A Kiss to Build a Dream On' by Amber Rubarth (Sessions from the 17th Ward) a listen. After playing this track repeatedly, around 20 times, with both sets of headphones, I can precisely grasp what you were pointing out. Furthermore, your depiction of the treble is spot-on, and it turns out I'm someone for whom it's a bit too pronounced. This becomes more evident at higher volumes; the louder I listen, the more the treble seems to intrude. Conversely, the HD 600 maintains a more balanced increase across the spectrum with volume, ensuring a smoother experience.

Without prior knowledge of the HD 600, I found the DT 490 Pro to be impressive, particularly in how it doesn't skimp on details. Yet, the HD 600 appears to deliver a more holistic 'music experience' across the entire track. Impressive, indeed.

Now, I'm torn:The DT 490 Pro wins hands down in terms of comfort. I've already developed a dislike for the HD 600's cable, whereas the DT 490 Pro's cable is something I greatly value and appreciate for its comfort - it's like I can't even feel it. Additionally, the build quality of the DT 490 Pro, particularly the plastic, feels superior. Its performance in gaming is also noteworthy.

Yet, considering everything I've described, plus the fact that for the price of the DT 490 Pro, I could get an HD 600 and an HD 560S (Refurbished - for gaming), makes the decision tougher than ever.

But one thing is undeniable, @CammyFi: your ability to describe headphone sounds is unparalleled.
Pair the HD600 with a good tube amp and it will rooaaarr your socks off and it slams like a mad man with a gigantic voice. - this HP is lit.
I can't imagine a life without it. Give me 3K bucks and i will buy 10 more!:L3000:

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2024 at 9:40 AM Post #314 of 570
The DT 490 Pro, huh :thinking:

Feb 1, 2024 at 11:14 AM Post #315 of 570
Mine first impressions after 1 day:

Velour pads sound bad. (I will give them a try again after few days, maybe burn-in will help?).
Bass and treble are fine but they are way too shouty making vocals unpleasant to listen to.
--------------
Fabric pads sound balanced with slight midrange focus. I like this kind of presentation and vocals this time sound good.
I was hoping for larger soundstage on open back headphone but it is only average making the presentation rather intimate.
Separation is above average, I would say very good.

Now hear me out, I had HD600 twice and I tried HD650 in the shop.
650 was a muddy mess and 600 seamed fine at a glance so I got them. Later on I found 600 to be too shouty and lacking bass and treble. Sold it but since everyone was continuosly praising them for many years I bought them again after upgrading DAC/AMP setup. I ended up selling them again as I still couldn't get rid of the ugly shoutiness.
If you can make 600 series sound good, then I'm happy for you but for me 490 Pro will be the only Sennheiser that I will keep for now.

490 Pro is definitely better sounding overall than 600/650 on all of my equipment (ifi Zen Can dac/amp combo, Denon PMA600 or iBasso DX160).

It has better built, fit/comfort and accessories.

490 Pro will nicely fit in the middle of my collection between fun v-shaped Denon 5200 and bright Beyerdynamic 880.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back