Sennheiser HD 490 Pro Plus coming?
Jan 31, 2024 at 2:14 PM Post #291 of 569
Who was the reviewer with the silver beard and Hawaiian shirts? I'd love to see his review of this.

Tyll Hertsens, one of the OG's of headphone reviews. He has been retired for around six years, so you're not going to see him review this or any other headphone.
Yep....Tyll's been off the grid for quite some time.
https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...an-into-lovely-stealth-tiny-home-193860.html#
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000323817974

Jan 31, 2024 at 3:29 PM Post #292 of 569
I think that the little coil of the cable near the headphone end is a very clever solution for microphonic noise (= noise by friction on the cable surface) and also protects from sudden tensions. Maybe someone in Sennheiser is reading Head-Fi carefully? (just saying, lol)

eliminating microphonic noise
the cable is still very microphonic

Jan 31, 2024 at 4:14 PM Post #293 of 569
Jan 31, 2024 at 4:30 PM Post #294 of 569
the cable is still very microphonic
Only the very top region between the coil and the connector on my unit and it is still not that microphonic compared to some other cables.
Also no loud weird sounds when tapping the headband or moving the cable over clothes for me. So from my point of view this is not a problem. Still looking forward to building the custom cable.

At this point not sure if something is off with your unit or cable. Channel imbalance seems also quite high on your unit which can pretty much ruin the whole sound.

Jan 31, 2024 at 4:38 PM Post #295 of 569
Only the very top region between the coil and the connector on my unit and it is still not that microphonic compared to some other cables.
Also no loud weird sounds when tapping the headband or moving the cable over clothes for me. So from my point of view this is not a problem. Still looking forward to building the custom cable.

At this point not sure if something is off with your unit or cable. Channel imbalance seems also quite high on your unit which can pretty much ruin the whole sound.
For me the same, nearly no microphonic noise here. Only the fabric pads make some "noise effect". But since the velour are my favorite ones I don't care.

Btw. For gaming these are the best headphones I used so far. I had many gaming headphones but never it was so easy to locate footsteps. Direction and distance, amazing. Even if the 600 (arrive tmr) are better for music I will keep the 490 for gaming. But can currently not imagine that the 600 will beat the overall music performance of the 490 with velour (in my case). Again listened the whole day to several playlist and Enjoyed it so much!

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2024 at 5:06 PM Post #296 of 569
After his famous "wall of fame" headphones collection, did I see a humble Bose headphone and a JBL boom-box?
A true lesson that we can live happily with a lot less luxuries than we think we need...

Ok now, when is the next Sennheiser flagship coming?
I have a different take on min required gear to get you over the hill. I have been able to completely relax while listening to Utopia driven by CFA 3 and Emm Labs dac, sourced from Linn streamer. I have found myself dozing off listening to Utopia (doesn't happen with other cans) on all kinds of different music :gs1000smile:. Everything is smooth, natural and transparent and everything is there but nothing calls itself out. 800S is close to a similar level of relaxation but sometimes the lower treble will let you know you are still wearing cans.

So, IMO if you want a certain level of audio experience you have to pay the entry price. Either that or I may just be getting old :sweat_smile:

Jan 31, 2024 at 6:27 PM Post #298 of 569
I simply don't see the point on repeatedly retreading territory that has seemingly been done enough (and at better prices) when what people want from Sennheiser seems to be rather clear to me—the excellent midrange and smooth treble they're known for with the 6 series, but with more bass extension.
That tuning has been signed off exclusively for Neumann 😁

Jan 31, 2024 at 7:06 PM Post #299 of 569
Probably not in my lifetime. :older_man:

Yep, happens to the best of us....almost everything sounds fine to me, well almost. :xf_cool:
Yes indeed. Almost everything sounds fine to me as well. BUT, I'm still young enough (69) to appreciate greatness every now and then. :)

Leo

Jan 31, 2024 at 7:13 PM Post #300 of 569
Ok now, when is the next Sennheiser flagship coming?
I hate to show you this, but ....
94DE7719-E83B-47F2-AF27-CD6D385A3AE2.jpeg
👎😳🤣🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Back