Sennheiser HD 490 Pro Plus coming?
Jan 30, 2024 at 3:04 PM Post #272 of 593
It is so weird that there are two wholly separate Sennheisers! I don't understand what they were thinking when the deal was made. They could have at least changed the family's business to Sennheiser Pro or something.
It is true that it's becoming weird as time advances. I don't think this situation is really viable, to the eyes of knowledgeable consumers at least. Can you imagine any other company, let's say Sony, with two different managements that will never comment about eachother's products? A functioning Sony that will not be responsible or enthusiastic about new Sony products? I find it hard to accept two different Sennheisers but I am a simple costumer in the end. Maybe all other solutions about the company names were even less attractive/effective.

Jan 30, 2024 at 3:21 PM Post #273 of 593
Appreciate your recommendation. I will get a HD600 and try it out.

May I ask you for specific parts of songs where you see the difference and critics most clear?
Also a question I always have when people say that a headphone lacks in detail and some other attributes as well. Because objective measurements don´t show anything that could let me conclude this - my ears do neither. I would recommend comparing them side-by-side if possible.

He was refering to the velour (producing) pads and I think that the mixing pads are overall a bit more balanced and thus - some may say - offer a bit more detail. Maybe the slightly boosted bass leads to hiding some details? (Which would be the case with any bass boost.)

My parts for the custom balanced cable should arrive within two days. I will go for a 2.5/3.5/4.4mm exchangable connector which I think is pretty awesome to have:) (FiiO FT5 comes with a nice cable with this connector.) I have ordered this connector for the 4-Pin Mini-XLR and hope it fits: https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/xlr-...onnector-for-audeze-akg-o7mm-unit-p-8871.html

Jan 30, 2024 at 3:24 PM Post #274 of 593
It is so weird that there are two wholly separate Sennheisers!
Always the bottom line.
"Daniel Sennheiser: We are very satisfied with the results of 2022. We managed to keep up the positive momentum from 2021, focusing on the professional audio business just as we had strategically planned. At the beginning of 2022, as announced, we sold the Consumer Business and have since concentrated on the Pro Audio, Business Communication, and Neumann business units. This focus is paying off: We have been able to generate significantly more growth, while at the same time increasing profitability."
https://www.sennheiser.com/en-de/about-us/ceo-interview

If Senova Sonova re-badged all the Senn consumer headphones to say "Senova" I'm sure the bottom would drop out.
I find it hard to accept two different Sennheisers but I am a simple costumer in the end.
Might be the beginning of the end, like AKG after letting their tech and R&D staff go we may not see a replacement for the HD800S. :triportsad:
Well at least I've got my K872, HD800S and HD820s. :)

Still, the drivers appear to be developed/manufactured under the same roof, for now, although there's Ireland, Romania and China.....life's complicated.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2024 at 6:01 PM Post #275 of 593
The honeymoon phase with my HD490 pro is finally over, i thought i would keep it, but after listening the HD600 for some hours, the hd490 pro sounds like sh***.
This thing can´t unleash any emotions in me - mushy, liveless, boring, dull and flat without any roarrrrr. - even the poor 560s/400pro is premium maximus against this thing.
I will probably buy a second HD600 before there are no more available.
Maybe next time, Sennheiser

cheers:beerchug:

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2024 at 6:26 PM Post #277 of 593
Jan 30, 2024 at 6:36 PM Post #278 of 593
Does happen..

Don't believe that was Sennheiser's goal, remember it's from the "Pro" division...but in the end it really comes down to the music not the equipment. :sunglasses:
The HD560s/400pro could do that for me to a certain level, but this mushy thing. omg.
Mixing and mastering without any highs and sparkle - have fun all you producers out there

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2024 at 10:12 PM Post #279 of 593
The honeymoon phase with my HD490 pro is finally over, i thought i would keep it, but after listening the HD600 for some hours, the hd490 pro sounds like sh***.
This thing can´t unleash any emotions in me - mushy, liveless, boring, dull and flat without any roarrrrr. - even the poor 560s/400pro is premium maximus against this thing.

I'd be curious to know what DAC -> amp chain you're using? I think source really matters too. These headphones are extremely revealing of everything in your chain if one thing is not up to snuff you will hear it. For instance the difference between Colibri and Roon is stark. Colibri is not it with these HPs. Roon with classical can almost bring me to tears lol. These 490 are picky devils.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2024 at 12:20 AM Post #280 of 593
If Senova re-badged all the Senn consumer headphones to say "Senova" I'm sure the bottom would drop out.
Senova? A good idea by accident! It could even be Sennova (Sen-nova), taking a new meaning! It sounds better than Sonova, I think. :beyersmile:

Well, I guess it's true that if one of the two companies drops the Sennheiser name they will loose clients/sales.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2024 at 2:57 AM Post #281 of 593
Also a question I always have when people say that a headphone lacks in detail and some other attributes as well. Because objective measurements don´t show anything that could let me conclude this - my ears do neither. I would recommend comparing them side-by-side if possible.

He was refering to the velour (producing) pads and I think that the mixing pads are overall a bit more balanced and thus - some may say - offer a bit more detail. Maybe the slightly boosted bass leads to hiding some details? (Which would be the case with any bass boost.)

My parts for the custom balanced cable should arrive within two days. I will go for a 2.5/3.5/4.4mm exchangable connector which I think is pretty awesome to have:) (FiiO FT5 comes with a nice cable with this connector.) I have ordered this connector for the 4-Pin Mini-XLR and hope it fits: https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/xlr-...onnector-for-audeze-akg-o7mm-unit-p-8871.html
For my hearing it's somehow vice versa. The fabric pads sounds brighter, imho maybe a better stage but for me just too bright. And because of it I have the feeling to miss details instead of the velours where I'm so relaxed that I hear stuff which amazes me everytime. I really cannot enjoy music with the fabric ones. But going to the velour I really love them. Can hear music the whole day. I definetly think this is a very good pair of headphones with the velour pads. I cannot understand the (extreme) negative feedback from some for them.
But I'm willing to learn and will also get the 600. Since I own the 599 (which are clear worser than the HD490Pro, I need only 2 minutes everytime I try them and compare to decide), I will skip the 560 and go directly for the 600 for comparing.
Those who say the HD 490Pro are bad compared to 600, can you point me to specific examples in songs to understand it as soon as the 600 arrive?

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2024 at 4:38 AM Post #282 of 593

Are there any signs that HD 600 would be discontinued?

Jan 31, 2024 at 5:30 AM Post #283 of 593
Are there any signs that HD 600 would be discontinued?
Quite the opposite, Sennheiser (Sonova) made several remarks to indicate that they will sell these for a long time still, as this is still one of their best selling models.

Jan 31, 2024 at 6:24 AM Post #284 of 593
I'd be curious to know what DAC -> amp chain you're using? I think source really matters too. These headphones are extremely revealing of everything in your chain if one thing is not up to snuff you will hear it. For instance the difference between Colibri and Roon is stark. Colibri is not it with these HPs. Roon with classical can almost bring me to tears lol. These 490 are picky devils.
I tested R2R R1N/R28 and a D/S DAC & Cayin HA-6A

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back