Sennheiser HD 490 Pro Plus coming?
Jan 29, 2024 at 3:42 AM Post #241 of 566
Jan 29, 2024 at 8:14 AM Post #243 of 566
Whenever something Sennheiser's comes up people get their hopes up only to be shot down. These will never beat a well driven HD580/600/650.
It feels Sennheiser's resting too much on their momentum (ha!) instead of going all in and release a HD 900 (as a proper HE90 trickle down) instead of doing these
560S salvage projects.

Jan 29, 2024 at 11:02 AM Post #244 of 566
It feels Sennheiser's resting too much on their momentum (ha!) instead of going all in and release a HD 900 (as a proper HE90 trickle down)
With the consumer side...lets just say it's complicated......
https://www.sonova.com/en/sonova-0
Screen Shot 2024-01-29 at 10.55.04 AM.png
instead of doing these
...... the HD490 Pro comes under separate entity...
https://www.sennheiser.com/en-de/catalog/products/headphones

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2024 at 11:16 AM Post #245 of 566
Quick impressions for the producing pads only.

Firstly, the build is fairly solid, on first impressions some might think they feel cheap. They don't. The plastics are very rigid being made from glass fibre-impregnated nylon and Sennheiser has elected to use a metal spring band that takes most of the stress, this also means that the clamp is an order of magnitude lighter than say the HD560s.

Producing pads:

Bass:
Not gonna sugarcoat this, it's warm and decently extends... but it's also a tad bit limp, Not much impact though it's not completely dead. I'd possibly describe it as mushy and somewhat compressed; it's a kin to the likes of DT900 Pro X. But again, not the worst as it still has a bit of life and texture to it.

Lower mids and Mids:
the warmth extends into the lower mids and gives stuff like pianos some body, although with very dry transients. I'd describe the mids themselves to be very Sennheiser like still, however, the timbre is kind of off, if I had to describe it I'd say it's like you're looking through frosted glass in a way.

Upper mids and Treble:
In the upper mids we have a somewhat drastic scoop, not a glaring issue but if you're not used to it, this will make the likes of female vocals sound lifeless for example, however, presents a greater illusion of width to the stage, treble is smooth enough but depending on your ears it COULD be a bit much, I'd personally prefer less, but it's definitely not the most offensive.

If you're into your technical stuff, please run away. What most consider "detail" is nowhere to be found, I'm going to use the frosted glass example again. It has a touch of grain to it and somewhat sounds like stuff is smeared over. You again have the limpness and compression.

Stage and imaging is decent for Sennheiser standards but nobody is going to get excited by it, placement is fine? However, my unit does have a bit of channel imbalance past 1k.

Jan 29, 2024 at 11:53 AM Post #246 of 566
I think that the little coil of the cable near the headphone end is a very clever solution for microphonic noise (= noise by friction on the cable surface) and also protects from sudden tensions. Maybe someone in Sennheiser is reading Head-Fi carefully? (just saying, lol)

eliminating microphonic noise

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2024 at 3:09 PM Post #247 of 566

Firstly, the build is fairly solid, on first impressions some might think they feel cheap. They don't. The plastics are very rigid being made from glass fibre-impregnated nylon and Sennheiser has elected to use a metal spring band that takes most of the stress, this also means that the clamp is an order of magnitude lighter than say the HD560s.

Producing pads:

Bass:
Not gonna sugarcoat this, it's warm and decently extends... but it's also a tad bit limp, Not much impact though it's not completely dead. I'd possibly describe it as mushy and somewhat compressed; it's a kin to the likes of DT900 Pro X. But again, not the worst as it still has a bit of life and texture to it.

Lower mids and Mids:
the warmth extends into the lower mids and gives stuff like pianos some body, although with very dry transients. I'd describe the mids themselves to be very Sennheiser like still, however, the timbre is kind of off, if I had to describe it I'd say it's like you're looking through frosted glass in a way.

Upper mids and Treble:
In the upper mids we have a somewhat drastic scoop, not a glaring issue but if you're not used to it, this will make the likes of female vocals sound lifeless for example, however, presents a greater illusion of width to the stage, treble is smooth enough but depending on your ears it COULD be a bit much, I'd personally prefer less, but it's definitely not the most offensive.

If you're into your technical stuff, please run away. What most consider "detail" is nowhere to be found, I'm going to use the frosted glass example again. It has a touch of grain to it and somewhat sounds like stuff is smeared over. You again have the limpness and compression.

Stage and imaging is decent for Sennheiser standards but nobody is going to get excited by it, placement is fine? However, my unit does have a bit of channel imbalance past 1k.
Thanks, this is helpful! Seems like at least a few valid user reports of not so ideal timbre, which is what I’m chasing after.

Jan 29, 2024 at 3:33 PM Post #248 of 566

Producing pads:

Bass:

Lower mids and Mids:

Upper mids and Treble:

May I ask you what is your favourite HP in thas price class? Your review sound quite negative, so I would like to understand what Hp is a good one, I would like to try it and understand your critics

Jan 29, 2024 at 4:00 PM Post #249 of 566
Found this on a YT comment section - interesting if true

"Sennheiser sold off their consumer audio division and with it their consumer audio products, HD600 included, to Sonova. This comes from their pro division, which is still family owned. It explains some of the design decisions and why it seems to cannibalise/compete with the 6XX platform so directly. It's very much intentional.
It is called the "Pro" because the HD490 already exists."

Can someone confirm this?

Jan 29, 2024 at 4:12 PM Post #250 of 566

"Sennheiser sold off their consumer audio division and with it their consumer audio products, HD600 included, to Sonova. This comes from their pro division, which is still family owned. It explains some of the design decisions and why it seems to cannibalise/compete with the 6XX platform so directly. It's very much intentional.

It is no secret that Sennheiser is owned by Sonova. I am pretty sure it's the whole company though, since they just moved the whole company to Ireland, as far as I understood.

Jan 29, 2024 at 4:16 PM Post #251 of 566

Confirmed. Years ago. See the Sonova announcement from 2021.

Jan 29, 2024 at 4:19 PM Post #252 of 566
It is no secret that Sennheiser is owned by Sonova. I am pretty sure it's the whole company though, since they just moved the whole company to Ireland, as far as I understood.
..but if the "Pro division" is still family owned, , that would be new for me.
Confirmed. Years ago. See the Sonova announcement from 2021.
Sure, but the thing is, the "pro division", where the HD 490pro is coming from, is still family owned? that would be new for me

Jan 29, 2024 at 4:21 PM Post #253 of 566
No, it was only the consumer audio division. Sennheiser Pro audio is still in the family - and still owns/operates Neumann. And recently purchased Merging Technologies who manufacture pro audio interfaces.

Jan 29, 2024 at 4:28 PM Post #254 of 566
..but if the "Pro division" is still family owned, , that would be new for me.

Sure, but the thing is, the "pro division", where the HD 490pro is coming from, is still family owned? that would be new for me
Only new to you... Sennheiser Pro Audio never stopped producing headphones for the pro audio market. Or microphones, wireless performance products and more.

However, it is confusing to have the 'same brand name' owned by two different entities, marketing to two different, but overlapping markets. At the time, Sennheiser was losing money on the consumer side and chose to selloff the consumer division and invest in their pro audio division.

Jan 29, 2024 at 4:45 PM Post #255 of 566
Only new to you... Sennheiser Pro Audio never stopped producing headphones for the pro audio market. Or microphones, wireless performance products and more.

However, it is confusing to have the 'same brand name' owned by two different entities, marketing to two different, but overlapping markets.
Not just me, many people didn't know that. I thought Sennheiser sold everything to Sonova incl. the Pro Audio incl.
That also explains why the HD490 pro is a amazing headphone and the HD660/II stinks. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back