Sennheiser HD 490 Pro Plus coming?
Jan 27, 2024 at 10:07 AM Post #136 of 569
Screenshot 2024-01-27 150206.png

Here's some internal photos (Attached) and a GRAS style measurement done on a clone KB501X x IEC711, Good construction comprising of mostly PA6 GF Nylon.

Screenshot 2024-01-27 150402.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-27 150150.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-27 150150.png
    558.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 1706367745880.png
    1706367745880.png
    508.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2024-01-27 150158.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-27 150158.png
    499.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 27, 2024 at 10:10 AM Post #137 of 569
No so great news: My HD490pro died a sudden death:
After 2 days of use (received on January 25th), the right driver failed (the left one is still functional). It slowly(!) - i.e. over a few minutes - became quieter and quieter to the point of emitting no signal at all. So no cable break or similar. Tested on various amplifiers and swapped the mini-XLR cable from left to right cup without success; the right channel is dead in both cable positions (left is always OK). The cable/connector itself is continuous in all 4 poles - especially R+ and R-. I didn't really expect this from a Sennheiser - as long as it worked, it was very good; I liked it much better than my other Sennheisers HD6xx/HD660s(1st gen) and my HD560s. I started RMA and hope for a more reliable set...

EDIT:
After one week, I now received my replacement set which works without problems (for the time being).

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2024 at 10:27 AM Post #138 of 569
After 2 days of use (received on January 25th), the right driver failed (the left one is still functional). It slowly(!) - i.e. over a few minutes - became quieter and quieter to the point of emitting no signal at all. So no cable break or similar. Tested on various amplifiers and swapped the mini-XLR cable from left to right cup without success; the right channel is dead in both cable positions (left is always OK). The cable/connector itself is continuous in all 4 poles - especially R+ and R-. I didn't really expect this from a Sennheiser - as long as it worked, it was very good; I liked it much better than my other Sennheisers HD6xx/HD660s(1st gen) and my HD560s. I started RMA and hope for a more reliable set...
The quality control seems pretty poor, look at the gnarly channel matching

Screenshot 2024-01-27 152700.png

Jan 27, 2024 at 10:34 AM Post #139 of 569
The quality control seems pretty poor, look at the gnarly channel matching

Yes probably the problem announced itself over the past day. Yesterday evenings measurement on my miniDSP EARS (mixing pads) was already quite a bit Left/Right unbalanced. But I tested different positions of the drivers w.r.t. to the ears since it is an angled driver - hence did no attribute it to a possible driver failure (and did not hear it in music). For me that slow decay of one driver is a bit strange but I am no expert in this.
HD490pro_stock_mix.jpg

EDIT: HPN compensated, in case you wonder why it is so different in the FR.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2024 at 11:20 AM Post #141 of 569
That's like a nothing video. Why even make a video? He's doing yet another video to REALLY talk about it next. Youtube people are so annoying.

Really? I'm not a fanboy of Valour (have never upvoted any of his videos), and find a lot of problems with most headphone reviewers on YT.

However, it is specifically labeled as a first impressions video. And people have been dying in this thread for others to share their first impressions. I'm sure some of the people upvoting your comment will upvote first impressions shared here.

In fact, you should give him some credit for not saying much more. Experienced head-fiers know that first impression should be taken with a grain of salt. Proper evaluation takes time to get used to a set of headphones. And especially with a pair of headphones that comes with two different sets of pads.

Jan 27, 2024 at 11:42 AM Post #142 of 569
Tooooo baaad .....

Jan 27, 2024 at 11:59 AM Post #143 of 569
Here are some listening impressions after 9 Hours with the hd490 pro´s on a Cayin HA-6A + R28

Pad Set 1 / fluffy soft pads

- The overall sound is very smooth cross the entire frequency range.
- Bass goes deep with some rumble, mid bass is the same like the HD600 i would say.
- Mids are slightly rerecessed but not thin sounding. Timbre is slightly better on the HD600 and more real
- Highs are smooth, slightly recessed, not sparkly and imho not the star of the show - because of this the HD600 sounds often more dynamic from the upper mids through the highs with more grrrrrr and resolution to my ears, although the resolution of the 490 pro is better.
- Soundstage with is very good for a Sennheiser and has some depth too, but not breathtaking.
- layering and separation is good

Pad Set 2

- sound becomes more analytical, the feel of warmth and smoothness for the most part is gone
- Upper mids and highs are more forward, resolution stays the same. This can become fatiguing after a while
- Soundstage slighly improves but not by much
- Layering and separation is very good.

Negatives:
Especially when changing the earpads, the plasticky earcups are very very!! cheap made and you're afraid that something will break

So the final question is, will the HD 490pro replace my HD600?

No, til today the HD600 gives me something not many other headphones can - but I'll keep the 490 for his little magic and for gaming i will stay with my beloved AKG 712.

Welcome to your new home HD490 Pro <3

Cheers :)

After 2 days of use (received on January 25th), the right driver failed (the left one is still functional). It slowly(!) - i.e. over a few minutes - became quieter and quieter to the point of emitting no signal at all. So no cable break or similar. T
This is bad but not surprising cause the build quality is the worst i´ve seen in a long time.
shame on you Sennheiser

Jan 27, 2024 at 12:07 PM Post #145 of 569
Interesting how actual graphs from analysis done vary greatly from what Senn says their response is. Their version of the response made me think they had more sub bass extension than all of their other open backs. It continues to be a tie between the HD660S2 and the HD58X for having the best extension. When these new headphones are marketed as being for mixing / mastering, and they have 1-2 db LESS going on at 20-25 hz than the HD600, it's taking a step backwards. The HD600 has flatter mids, up to higher mids, and highs, the HD58x, while being a lot better in the sub bass, has the most similar high response when it comes to having the smallest dip to peak ratio in its midrange to high mids and highs. Meaning, the HD58x with a few db treble shelf boost above 1 khz gets the HD600 flatness & brightness, with more useful low sub reach. Certainly, you can boost the lows on a HD600, but boosting doesn't extend the sub bass response - it just makes what is there louder. Every new open back they make just continues to make the HD58x amazing. Still tied for the best sub extension, less shouty than the HD600. Less annoying mid bump, low mid bloom while retaining that nice, casual, listening vibe I like them for. I don't use them for reference for highs, or sub lows in my studio, I have them as an alternative pair when I want the easy going sound.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2024 at 12:26 PM Post #146 of 569
I have seen one person say the build quality is excellent and one person say the build quality is crap and I am completely confused by these opposed viewpoints.
Going to need other people to chime in please.

I don't understand the negative comments on this. In terms of the thinking, fit and finish that went into the design, 490 is simple and well executed. If people aren't used to plastic being used in a Senn headphone yet i wouldn't know what to tell them. Senn's been on that Road forever and to me is showing the experience w use of high quality plastics, to make a HP that doesn't creak (so far) is more comfortable than the 6 series HPs, is feather light and very compact. I also luv that they went w a fold flat design and used the mini XLR.

Jan 27, 2024 at 12:26 PM Post #147 of 569
I have seen one person say the build quality is excellent and one person say the build quality is crap and I am completely confused by these opposed viewpoints.
Going to need other people to chime in please.
It may sound strange because my sets driver just died, but I actually liked the build including the materials used. It is very lightweight and I had the impression that the mechanical parts will last. I preferred the comfort and fit of the HD490pro over my other Sennheisers - especially because the swiveling and tilting cups fitted perfectly to my head and ears with the right amount of clamp force.
However, the build quality of the internals is obviously questionable. Nevertheless, I didn't ask for a refund but for a replacement and hope for the best with the next set.

Jan 27, 2024 at 1:42 PM Post #148 of 569
One pic before the mayhem begins lol
Haven't been this excited about a headphone for a while.
DSC_0294.JPG

My dog was curious lol

Jan 27, 2024 at 1:44 PM Post #149 of 569
Eh another for good measure.

490 Pro in it's element

DSC_0296.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back