Sennheiser HD 490 Pro Plus coming?
Jan 26, 2024 at 8:54 AM Post #106 of 569
Comparing HD 490 Pro vs. DT1990 Pro vs. K712 vs. Austrian Audio Hi-X65 is appropriate in my opinion.

Jan 26, 2024 at 9:01 AM Post #107 of 569
Does Sennheiser have a headphone anyone considers "fun" sounding?
No longer in production but Sennheiser's short lived portable HD630VB, besides sounding pretty good is my fun phone with its variable bass dial.
IMG_6373.JPG
Coincidentally the HD630VB, although sounding quite different was used as the bases for another studio phone, it's twin brother the Neumann NDH20 closed back.

Jan 26, 2024 at 9:56 AM Post #108 of 569
Whats the difference HD 490 Pro to Momentum 4 Denim / Copper?
Only the cable connection?
Sorry - Momentum are all Wireless?
The Momentum 4 are wireless but can be used with a USB-C wire. I've only heard them wireless, but most feedback I've seen online indicates they sound better wireless than wired because they were designed as a wireless headphone.

Now, I know Bluetooth inherently is inferior to wired. And I haven't heard these wired -- only wireless. Just passing along a bit of a consensus online.

I'll probably never buy a headphone designed to be wireless for primary use with a wire. If I wanted a wired headphone, I'd buy ... a wired headphone. :)

Jan 26, 2024 at 11:43 AM Post #111 of 569
First impressions by Joshua Valour:

That's like a nothing video. Why even make a video? He's doing yet another video to REALLY talk about it next. Youtube people are so annoying.
No mentioned that he explained that Sennheiser offered to fly him to Germany to get a sneak peak of the headphone before the public release? That sums up what I believe Youtube reviewers don't seem to understand. They tell us they get free product, that they get international paid travel, but that the vendor has no conditions about the content of their review.

RIGHT! If Josh V. Said he thought the 490's were garbage he would never get any more free stuff, or be treated like a VIP from Sennheiser. Outrageous in my mind. Beware my friends, be very aware!

Not singling out Josh, as I like him. Seems like a nice guy. I'm talking about Youtube reviewers in general. This is just a single, recent example.

Leo

Jan 26, 2024 at 11:49 AM Post #112 of 569
RIGHT! If Josh V. Said he thought the 490's were garbage he would never get any more free stuff, or be treated like a VIP from Sennheiser. Outrageous in my mind. Beware my friends, be very aware!

Is it unreasonable for Sennheiser to expect reviewers to have a certain amount of professionalism and to be constructive in their criticism? It's possible to be very negative without flaming. If Sennheiser punished a reviewer who said something like "these aren't up to the standard I expect from Sennheiser and I don't recommend getting them" then that would be a scandal.

Jan 26, 2024 at 2:39 PM Post #113 of 569
Here are some listening impressions after 9 Hours with the hd490 pro´s on a Cayin HA-6A + R28

Pad Set 1 / fluffy soft pads

- The overall sound is very smooth cross the entire frequency range.
- Bass goes deep with some rumble, mid bass is the same like the HD600 i would say.
- Mids are slightly rerecessed but not thin sounding. Timbre is slightly better on the HD600 and more real
- Highs are smooth, slightly recessed, not sparkly and imho not the star of the show - because of this the HD600 sounds often more dynamic from the upper mids through the highs with more grrrrrr and resolution to my ears, although the resolution of the 490 pro is better.
- Soundstage with is very good for a Sennheiser and has some depth too, but not breathtaking.
- layering and separation is good

Pad Set 2

- sound becomes more analytical, the feel of warmth and smoothness for the most part is gone
- Upper mids and highs are more forward, resolution stays the same. This can become fatiguing after a while
- Soundstage slighly improves but not by much
- Layering and separation is very good.

Negatives:
Especially when changing the earpads, the plasticky earcups are very very!! cheap made and you're afraid that something will break

So the final question is, will the HD 490pro replace my HD600?

No, til today the HD600 gives me something not many other headphones can - but I'll keep the 490 for his little magic and for gaming i will stay with my beloved AKG 712.

Welcome to your new home HD490 Pro <3

Cheers :)

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2024 at 3:12 PM Post #114 of 569
Here are some listening impressions after 9 Hours with the hd490 pro´s on a Cayin HA-6A + R28

- Bass goes deep with some rumble, mid bass is the same like the HD600 i would say.
- Mids are slightly rerecessed but not thin sounding. Timbre is slightly better on the HD600 and more real
- Highs are smooth but not sparkly and imho not the star of the show - because of this the HD600 sounds often more dynamic from the upper mids through the highs with more grrrrrr and resolution to my ears.
- Soundstage with is very good for a Sennheiser and has some depth too, but not breathtaking.

Pad Set 2

- sound becomes more analytical, the feel of warmth and smoothness for the most part is gone
- Upper mids and highs are more forward, resolution stays the same. This can become fatiguing after a while

So the question is, will the HD 490pro replace my HD600?

No, til today the HD600 gives me something no other headphone can - but I'll keep the 490 for his little magic and for some classic and orchestral music and for gaming i will keep my beloved AKG 712.

Doesn't sound like you are too impressed. That is too bad.
But you might feel different after a few weeks. Might just take a while to burn in the brain.:smile:

Jan 26, 2024 at 3:21 PM Post #115 of 569
From the first comments and the graph posted before it seems like a better build & a bit more V-shaped 560s... If that's what it is I'm not interested at all.

Jan 26, 2024 at 3:43 PM Post #116 of 569

- Highs are smooth, slightly recessed, not sparkly and imho not the star of the show - because of this the HD600 sounds often more dynamic from the upper mids through the highs with more grrrrrr and resolution to my ears, although the resolution of the 490 pro is much higher

Pad Set 2

Negatives:
Especially when changing the earpads, the plasticky earcups are very very!! cheap made and you're afraid that something will break

So the final question is, will the HD 490pro replace my HD600?

No, til today the HD600 gives me something not much other headphones can - but I'll keep the 490 for his little magic and for some classic and orchestral music and for gaming i will stay with my beloved AKG 712.

Doesn't sound like you are too impressed. That is too bad.
But you might feel different after a few weeks. Might just take a while to burn in the brain.:smile:
My old "audiophile" Dad (85) ^^ came in in today and gave the hd 490 a listen to some of his favourite songs.
After that, he had tears in his eyes and and whispered "instant buy" :) ..no joke

So the HD490 with the soft pads are amazing headphones for long listening sessions with having this little magic - only downside, they are so cheap and plasticky made, like a 10 Bucks chifi HP. - and the cable 6.3mm adapter - you turn it by only 20 degrees and it looses contact. it´s a shame for a 460 bucks HP.

I hope you will read this "Sennheiser"! :smiling_imp:

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2024 at 4:12 PM Post #117 of 569
From the first comments and the graph posted before it seems like a better build & a bit more V-shaped 560s... If that's what it is I'm not interested at all.
The HD 490 pro is imho many steps up from the HD560s with all the grainy mids, highs and boomy bass- but the build quality on the HD560S, even it´s cheap too, is by far better and feels more sturdy.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2024 at 4:28 PM Post #118 of 569
...and they're back in the game :). Thanks for the comment.

Jan 26, 2024 at 4:33 PM Post #119 of 569
The HD 490 pro is imho many steps up from the HD560s with all the grainy mids, highs and boomy bass- but the build quality on the HD560S, even it´s cheap too, is by far better and feels more sturdy.
I agree with the HD 490 Pro being on another level soundwise than HD 560s. I would absolutely recommend giving these a listen if you can.
But I also think that it feels better because the construction with stainless steel headband etc. and the adjusting mechanisms feel clickier with less play in my opinion. I think that Sennheiser knows how to build very long lasting headphones and this should be no exception. No comparison to Hifiman for example.
Also pads have more space for my ears on HD 490 Pro with the only downside that I touch the "R" in the right cup a bit it seems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back