Sennheiser HD 490 Pro Plus coming?
Jan 25, 2024 at 4:16 PM Post #91 of 566
Jan 25, 2024 at 4:26 PM Post #93 of 566
Can't wait until a few proper reviews get published. Love the look, build and durability.

Only hesitation is the mini-xlr to 3.5mm cable which seems like a weird choice. Seriously confused by that one.
For me it is a very sensible choice. Very secure and reliable connection and much better than the proprietary 2-pin Sennheiser connectors of the vintage Sennheisers and the HD6xx series where you get defective springs after some years or the other proprietary 2.5mm solutions with the lock is cm-deep in the cup (like the HD560s). I admit that I like the universal use of 2x3.5mm-cup-connectors but that is not really feasible for professional use. An other important feature of these mini-XLRs is that you can switch the cable from the left to the right cup which is also important for those using these as a work tool.
But I am very happy that they went with 4pin mini-XLR - allowing for balanced connection - unlike the 3pin-XLRs I have on the Beyer DT1990pro/DT700proX or some AKGs (actually "had" because I re-soldered them to balanced connectors). It is not as uncommon as one might think ... e.g. the Heart Audio cable connectors use the same pin-layout - which will not really help you because male/female is inverted there.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2024 at 7:33 PM Post #97 of 566
Sure... Here you go.
Only 1 side (Left) measured and unsmoothed; 2 measurements each. SPL normalized (by adapting the input level) at 500 Hz. The HD 6xx was about 5dB lower in SPL.

Green=HD6xx, pink=HD490pro Production Pads
norm-HD6xx--vs--HD490pro_stock-prod--wide.jpg

and the "mixing pads" (the other/darker green):
norm-HD6xx--vs--HD490pro_stock-mix-wideL.jpg
Thank you so much!

Also just want to share:

Gunnar Dirks from Sennheiser has just confirmed to my associate that the measurements I posted were indeed taken on the Brüel and Kjaer Type 5128 HF HATS, and compensated to the 1/3rd octave Diffuse Field HRTF measured by B&K themselves.

Which means the measurements I posted earlier are likely the best measurements we'll have for a while until my colleague Resolve gets hands on it.

Posting a few comparison points again; all measured on the 5128, with the headphones other than HD 490 Pro being averages of multiple units (unless otherwise labeled)

graph (5).png
graph (6).png

graph (7).png
graph (8).png

And the most congruent comparisons, IMO:

graph (9).png
graph (10).png

The Sony and Beyerdynamic comparisons are the most interesting to me, as I'm wondering if all 3 brands are trying to chase the subjective sense of "externalization" a lot of listeners seem to want from their headphones. Sennheiser packaging their virtual surround/Atmos software thingy makes that more evident still.

Welp, excited to hear it and see how the build/comfort is, but again I think this will likely be one that doesn't work so well for me. But for those of us looking for a V-shaped open back with excellent bass extension, this seems a rather compelling offering/alternative to the MDR-MV1 and DT 900 Pro X.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Jan 25, 2024 at 8:36 PM Post #98 of 566
Got mine today from b and h photo in the US. Super light, well built, cable is meh but fine, connection port to the ear cup is very solid and sturdy, and clamp force is light. The only thing I’m not liking is inside the ear cups the fabric has a raised L and R and it touches my ears. It is not a pleasant fabric and feels like it’s gonna be a hot spot for me.

Sound wise I really like them so far. I can see myself grabbing these over my 650 and maybe even 800’s when I want some impactful bass. More testing will tell.

I do think these are gonna be a winner. If I can get used to the L and R on my ears I will have zero complaints.

Jan 25, 2024 at 8:52 PM Post #99 of 566
Thank you so much!

Also just want to share:

Gunnar Dirks from Sennheiser has just confirmed to my associate that the measurements I posted were indeed taken on the Brüel and Kjaer Type 5128 HF HATS, and compensated to the 1/3rd octave Diffuse Field HRTF measured by B&K themselves.

Which means the measurements I posted earlier are likely the best measurements we'll have for a while until my colleague Resolve gets hands on it.

Posting a few comparison points again; all measured on the 5128, with the headphones other than HD 490 Pro being averages of multiple units (unless otherwise labeled)

graph (5).pnggraph (6).png
graph (7).pnggraph (8).png

And the most congruent comparisons, IMO:

graph (9).pnggraph (10).png

The Sony and Beyerdynamic comparisons are the most interesting to me, as I'm wondering if all 3 brands are trying to chase the subjective sense of "externalization" a lot of listeners seem to want from their headphones. Sennheiser packaging their virtual surround/Atmos software thingy makes that more evident still.

Welp, excited to hear it and see how the build/comfort is, but again I think this will likely be one that doesn't work so well for me. But for those of us looking for a V-shaped open back with excellent bass extension, this seems a rather compelling offering/alternative to the MDR-MV1 and DT 900 Pro X.

Senn's own measurements don't seem look like this. Not sure where the disconnect is..

Jan 25, 2024 at 11:02 PM Post #101 of 566
Senn's own measurements don't seem look like this. Not sure where the disconnect is..
Their own measurements are compensated to the Diffuse Field HRTF that was measured in a Diffuse(ish) Field by B&K in 1/3rd octave steps. This isn’t the ideal HRTF to use because generally setting up a real Diffuse Field that is properly diffuse at all frequencies is Hard As Hell and the measurement won’t be as accurate as it could be.

I’ve used this HRTF provided by B&K solely to uncompensate the measurements, in order to retrieve the raw data.

Below is the Producer pads compensated to the better, calculated DF HRTF done by oratory1990 (which is generally regarded as superior and used as the HRTF for this head by Headphones.com and Crinacle) displayed against the bounds of preference Headphones.com is using based on Harman’s speaker/headphone research.

1706241723533.png

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Jan 25, 2024 at 11:45 PM Post #102 of 566
Got mine today from b and h photo in the US. Super light, well built, cable is meh but fine, connection port to the ear cup is very solid and sturdy, and clamp force is light. The only thing I’m not liking is inside the ear cups the fabric has a raised L and R and it touches my ears. It is not a pleasant fabric and feels like it’s gonna be a hot spot for me.

Sound wise I really like them so far. I can see myself grabbing these over my 650 and maybe even 800’s when I want some impactful bass. More testing will tell.

I do think these are gonna be a winner. If I can get used to the L and R on my ears I will have zero complaints.

Are they as wide as a 560S or more intimate like a 600?

Jan 26, 2024 at 4:08 AM Post #103 of 566
Last edited:
Jan 26, 2024 at 4:32 AM Post #104 of 566
Very cool design. Almost looks like an HD 600 had a one-nighter with a Momentum 4 and didn't use a condom.
Whats the difference HD 490 Pro to Momentum 4 Denim / Copper?
Only the cable connection?
Sorry - Momentum are all Wireless?

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2024 at 8:02 AM Post #105 of 566
Does Sennheiser have a headphone anyone considers "fun" sounding?

The HD599 has a relatively "fun" tuning, but detail and resolution suffer compared to the 600 series IMO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back