Sennheiser HD 490 Pro Plus coming?
Jan 25, 2024 at 1:10 PM Post #76 of 566
Mine arrived today as well (also living not so far from Thomann (DE)). I am not a professional audio producer, just a normal headphone enthusiast but the "HD490 Layman" was not available - thus I got the HD490 pro.
For me the built, comfort and feel is actually quite good and I like it more than the HD6xx or HD560s - probably due to the wider swivel and tilt of the cups of the HD490pro. Also the cable is nice; absolutely no microphonics ... I will measure the pin layout of the 4pin-mini-XLR next. I have a large head but still some margin with the headband adjustment.

To early for real sound impressions but the bass is surprisingly prominent with both pad variants but a bit too much with the velour "producer" pads for my specific taste. Overall very detailed and wide. Some measurements with my miniDSP EARS (HPN compensated, moved the cups on the rig a bit and the averages are then psychoacoustically smoothed):

The producing pads:
HD490pro_stock_prod.jpg

... and the Mix-pads vs. the producing-average:
HD490pro_stock_mix--vs--prod.jpg

To give you some reference, I also (re-)measured my HD6xx (orange/yellow) and my HD560s (red) with exactly the same input level from the ADI-2 DAC:
HD560s--vs--HD6xx--vs--HD490pro_stock.jpg
thus the HD490pro has about the same sensitivity as the HD560s.

I am quite happy with these as a new addition to my collection.
Can you please post HD 6XX and HD 490 Pro overlaid and normalized at 500Hz? Thank you!

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Jan 25, 2024 at 1:46 PM Post #77 of 566
Can you please post HD 6XX and HD 490 Pro overlaid and normalized at 500Hz? Thank you!
Sure... Here you go.
Only 1 side (Left) measured and unsmoothed; 2 measurements each. SPL normalized (by adapting the input level) at 500 Hz. The HD 6xx was about 5dB lower in SPL.

Green=HD6xx, pink=HD490pro Production Pads
norm-HD6xx--vs--HD490pro_stock-prod--wide.jpg

and the "mixing pads" (the other/darker green):
norm-HD6xx--vs--HD490pro_stock-mix-wideL.jpg

Jan 25, 2024 at 3:01 PM Post #89 of 566
This time we can't complain that a new, (potentially) significant headphone is not yet available in Europe. Kudos to Sennheiser pro!

Jan 25, 2024 at 3:19 PM Post #90 of 566
Can't wait until a few proper reviews get published. Love the look, build and durability.

Only hesitation is the mini-xlr to 3.5mm cable which seems like a weird choice. Seriously confused by that one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back