Sennheiser HD 490 Pro Plus coming?
Apr 27, 2024 at 3:13 AM Post #556 of 566
Last edited:
Apr 27, 2024 at 3:56 AM Post #557 of 566
HD 490 PRO use a 4 pin mini-XLR, the same as Neumann NDH 30? Are the driver (capsules) from HD 490 PRO and Neumann NDH 30 similar too?
No, only the HD 490 Pro uses a 4 pin mini-XLR at the headphone end. The NDH 30 uses a 4 pin mini plug (TRRS type), same as the HD 400 Pro / HD 560S. Please google for photos.
However, the cable of the HD 400 Pro / HD 560S has just a bit thicker plug handle which cannot be inserted in the NDH 30 without prior work to reduce the handle and its locking area diameter by 0,5mm.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2024 at 4:40 AM Post #558 of 566
Sound - are HD 490 and NDH 30 "twins"?
Are the installed capsules similar or even identical?
According to reports, they seem to be angled on both.

Apr 28, 2024 at 5:44 PM Post #559 of 566
HI guys, you can't immagine how disappointed I am... The hd490 pro is veiled, low fidelity, boomy and less impactful than everything I tried with the p pads and honky, uncoherent, harsh, grainy and thin with the m pads. A complete unlistenable mess at a price that made me sell the fabulous dt880. Scary bad. I hope the shop will made me return that.

I'm in love with my HD490pro but I had my disappointment like yours when I first heard it.

The P-pads sounded veiled and boomy for me at first listen but as soon as I get it, it provides a very thorough perspective over the whole soundscape.
The M-pads sounded honky and thin but in the very same way, I now found it coherent and organic.

It's not for me to be sure but I suggest you to give enough time and patience to appreciate two different tonalities, just one at a time.
It's important because HD490pro is practically like two different headphones, while it looks and feels like just a pair of headphone, even if one knew very well how different pads make different sounds.

Just like DT880 and HD600, both are fairly flat and neutral but none of them is THE one. If you can appreciate the strength of each in their difference (non-perfection), I bet you can do with HD490pro too.

TL;DR
Put either Producing- or Mixing pads back in the box and seal it for at least 2 weeks.

Last edited:
May 1, 2024 at 3:23 PM Post #560 of 566
1000010143.jpg

Just got my HD490 Pro! In my opinion this is a fantastic physical design in terms of comfort and practicality, and when you actually hold it in your hand, it feels premium and has a sense of classy, understated style going on. I like the rough texture of the plastic and the soft furry feeling of the padding. The light clamp force combined with ultra light weight is awesome.

Out of the box, it sounds maybe a little more sparkly in the treble vs my NDH20, cymbals sound different. Detail seems at least on par with NDH20. I will report back once it's had some burn in time.

May 2, 2024 at 3:06 AM Post #561 of 566
Is the only difference between the HD490 Pro and HD490 Pro plus that the HD490 Pro plus comes with more accessories? Are the headphones themselves identical?
How does the HD490 Pro compare with the Neumann NDH30 or even the Beyerdynamic DT1990 pro or Amiron?

May 2, 2024 at 6:50 AM Post #562 of 566
Is the only difference between the HD490 Pro and HD490 Pro plus that the HD490 Pro plus comes with more accessories? Are the headphones themselves identical?
How does the HD490 Pro compare with the Neumann NDH30 or even the Beyerdynamic DT1990 pro or Amiron?
Correct the headphones/transducer are identical. I'll let the community offer their take on comparisons.

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
May 2, 2024 at 12:51 PM Post #563 of 566
1000010145.jpg

I don't know about the open backed NDH30, but I can certainly say that the closed NDH20 is a fundamentally different sound from the HD490 Pro. We're not talking about lemons to limes here, it is apples to oranges, they're not interchangeable.

The soundstage of the 490 is not that much larger than the Neumanns, but it is a distinctly different experience, a step up in terms of tangible, "reach out and touch instruments" holographic imaging, with excellent positional accuracy. The soundstage itself is more analytical, not in the sense that it's less pleasant to experience, but that it better allows you to pick apart different sounds in the soundfield, and appreciate each individually.

The 490 Pro has a more separated sound, which changes the soundstaging and also increases detail retrieval, without ever really sounding analytical per se (at least with the Producer Pads). The 490 Pro is slightly brighter, but not colder, not any more sterile or dry. The 490 is noticeably less bright than a Grado, or a Kennerton Vali, the brightness and upper mids are not overcooked like in those obnoxious tunings.

The bass on the 490 is more analytical than the NDH20: you get more texture and detail, but a little bit less extension and low bass, giving less of a solid impact, despite giving an equal feeling of dynamic slam. I've tested it with techno and rap, it's simply different. The slam is still there, and the quantity will be there if you use a bassy amp (I'm using the Xbass on my iFi amp). Some people would probably say the 490's bass is spongy in comparison to the Neumanns, but I have to say, it's quite a detailed and articulate sponge!

Ultimately one has to acknowledge that both of these headphones are magical from a practical perspective, the NDH20 because it's a maximum passive isolation closed back and still sounds that good, and the HD490 Pro because it's 260 grams with light clamp force and still sounds that good.

I think the Neumanns will get to keep their outrageous cable, but... the HD490 might get an even more outrageous one, since its mini XLR connector can accommodate thicker cables. I do believe the ceiling for raw detail retrieval is probably higher on the 490, and I plan to hit it.

Last edited:
May 2, 2024 at 1:20 PM Post #564 of 566
1000010145.jpg

I don't know about the open backed NDH30, but I can certainly say that the closed NDH20 is a fundamentally different sound from the HD490 Pro. We're not talking about lemons to limes here, it is apples to oranges, they're not interchangeable.

The soundstage of the 490 is not that much larger than the Neumanns, but it is a distinctly different experience, a step up in terms of tangible, "reach out and touch instruments" holographic imaging, with excellent positional accuracy. The soundstage itself is more analytical, not in the sense that it's less pleasant to experience, but that it better allows you to pick apart different sounds in the soundfield, and appreciate each individually.

The 490 Pro has a more separated sound, which changes the soundstaging and also increases detail retrieval, without ever really sounding analytical per se (at least with the Producer Pads). The 490 Pro is slightly brighter, but not colder, not any more sterile or dry. The 490 is noticeably less bright than a Grado, or a Kennerton Vali, the brightness and upper mids are not overcooked like in those obnoxious tunings.

The bass on the 490 is more analytical than the NDH20: you get more texture and detail, but a little bit less extension and low bass, giving less of a solid impact, despite giving an equal feeling of dynamic slam. I've tested it with techno and rap, it's simply different. The slam is still there, and the quantity will be there if you use a bassy amp (I'm using the Xbass on my iFi amp). Some people would probably say the 490's bass is spongy in comparison to the Neumanns, but I have to say, it's quite a detailed and articulate sponge!

Ultimately one has to acknowledge that both of these headphones are magical from a practical perspective, the NDH20 because it's a maximum passive isolation closed back and still sounds that good, and the HD490 Pro because it's 260 grams with light clamp force and still sounds that good.

I think the Neumanns will get to keep their outrageous cable, but... the HD490 might get an even more outrageous one, since its mini XLR connector can accommodate thicker cables. I do believe the ceiling for raw detail retrieval is probably higher on the 490, and I plan to hit it.
I love the "obnoxious" tuning of Grado. Didn't need to read the rest of the review after your description of Grado's. If your review is accurate, the 490's certainly aren't for me. Appreciate your thoughts!

Leo

May 2, 2024 at 2:10 PM Post #565 of 566
I love the "obnoxious" tuning of Grado. Didn't need to read the rest of the review after your description of Grado's. If your review is accurate, the 490's certainly aren't for me. Appreciate your thoughts!

Leo
If you're familiar with the Sr80 line, the Sr80i was less bright than the current Sr80X. I like the HD490 Pro because its like the Sr80i, it does have a little brightness, but less than a lot of Grados do. Another example is the Sr225e, that is also brighter than the Sr80i/HD490 Pro.

May 3, 2024 at 1:06 AM Post #566 of 566

Only comparing NDH30 with HD490 Pro are useful, both are open. In my opinion, they are like stepsisters. Unfortunately, there are hardly any opportunities to hear and compare them in a shop. You have to rely on the internet to at least get a rough overview.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back