Sennheiser HD 480II
Jul 28, 2020 at 2:38 AM Post #32 of 43
In my opinion the original is the best. I have heard it at a friend and was slightly better than my HD450. Later I bought a HD480 II which wasn't good at all.
Now I am hooked on my RS-117 with a silver 6,3 Jack (it's not good if you put on a gold one, because the 3,5 is already a gold one) but someday hoping to get an RS-185.

Apr 3, 2021 at 7:13 PM Post #35 of 43
A picture of my beloved Sennheiser HD 450s and 480s:

from right to left:

Sennheiser HD 450 (70 ohm)
Sennheiser HD 450 II (60 ohm)
Sennheiser HD 480 (70 ohm)
Sennheiser HD 480 II (60 ohm)
Sennheiser HD 480-13II (600 ohm)
Sennheiser HD 480 Classic (70 ohm)
Sennheiser HD 480 Classic II (100 ohm)
Sennheiser HD 480 II Level Limited 88dBA Canford (1700 ohm)
Sennheiser HD 480 II Level Limited 93dBA Canford (1700 ohm)

If there is any further model available, please, let me know.
As someone who seems to have used most, if not all models of the 480, which ones did you find to be the best?

Apr 4, 2021 at 5:51 PM Post #37 of 43
The classic one. 4th from the left.
What elements in particular did you find that they were able to do better? Was it a big margin, or just a slight difference?

Apr 20, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #39 of 43
I am a huge fan of vintage ortodynamics. The classic stands closest to them. Plain, uncolored, honest sound, best midrange. So my pick is the classic ver1. But is just me with my partial opinion.
I managed to pick up a pair of classic mark 1's, quite a nice sound so far, and a surprising amount and depth of bass from something so light! Bit weird for me as I only have circumaural headphones, but I'm sure I'll get used to it.
Only problem is that the original earpads on these have totally disintegrated, and there's a cloth covering wrapped over the back of the earcups to make them useable.
The only place I've managed to find that sells replacements is the canford audio site. I dont suppose you, or anyone else, happens to know of what other options for pads might be available?
Was hoping to find some third party/chinese options, and there's only basic sponge wrapping type things there that I can see. Only other idea I've had is seeing whether I could possibly find a circumaural earpad that would fit, or could be adapted to fit, though I expect that would have an impact on the sound... if not, I suppose I'd have to try and pick up a second pair to use the pads from them

Apr 21, 2021 at 4:03 PM Post #40 of 43
I managed to pick up a pair of classic mark 1's, quite a nice sound so far, and a surprising amount and depth of bass from something so light! Bit weird for me as I only have circumaural headphones, but I'm sure I'll get used to it.
Only problem is that the original earpads on these have totally disintegrated, and there's a cloth covering wrapped over the back of the earcups to make them useable.
The only place I've managed to find that sells replacements is the canford audio site. I dont suppose you, or anyone else, happens to know of what other options for pads might be available?
Was hoping to find some third party/chinese options, and there's only basic sponge wrapping type things there that I can see. Only other idea I've had is seeing whether I could possibly find a circumaural earpad that would fit, or could be adapted to fit, though I expect that would have an impact on the sound... if not, I suppose I'd have to try and pick up a second pair to use the pads from them
Hello. I have just bought a pair of Classic ii as I am curious to how they sound etc so once I have them I may be able to see what the alternatives in terms of earpad replacements. How do yours sound? Do you have any other vintage headphones to compare then to? Thanks.

Apr 21, 2021 at 5:45 PM Post #41 of 43
Hello. I have just bought a pair of Classic ii as I am curious to how they sound etc so once I have them I may be able to see what the alternatives in terms of earpad replacements. How do yours sound? Do you have any other vintage headphones to compare then to? Thanks.
https://www.canford.co.uk/Products/54-4005_CANFORD-LEVEL-LIMTED-HEADPHONES-HD480-Spare-earpad-pair

These are the only pads I've found for 480's so far, but they do look as close to the originals as I think we're likely to find now the originals have been discontinued by sennheiser.

The only other pair of vintage headphones I have are a pair of sennheiser hd520 i, 300ohm variant, with original cable but not with original earpads.
I found the 520's to be quite underwhelming initially, I didn't feel an immediate "wow" with them. But after getting used to them I found that they are very, very neutral... any illusion I had of my hd600's being neutral was corrected, the 600's are considerably more forward in the the treble and bass. The 520's feel like they lack extension on both ends of the spectrum, and generally they're a bit dark and cool, and need some power to get going (300ohm at 93 or 94db) but what they excel at is a natural and lifelike timbre. If you wanted excitement or an analytical listening session, I wouldn't say these fit the bill, but if you wanted to listen for multiple hours, totally relaxed and just wanted an honest representation of sound, these would do it.

Bear in mind I've only been using my 480 classic i for a day, so I haven't been able to do a direct comparison with anything yet, I can only compare from memory (I can always come back with comparisons later) and also my dodgey earpads may be altering things. But they feel absolutely nothing like the hd520 at all.
The first thing that stands out to me about the classic i is the clarity, which is really quite unusual, and nothing like the 'veil' that some people ascribe to 'some' sennheisers. Its not only very clear, but the clarity has a sort of natural realness that just feels right.
They have a lot more bass than I'd have expected. Its not quite the carvenous spaceous roar that my hd700's with dekoni hybrid earpads produce, but its a decent amount, goes pretty deep, and is detailed enough to clearly hear bass notes, instead of just a deep boom sound that a lot headphones produce. Detail stands out as well. If the hd520 showed me that the hd600 aren't neutral, then the 480 classic showed me that even the 700 cant offer all the raw detail in a recording... I'm actually discovering extra vocal layers I was unaware of, in music I've listened to for 20 years.
Curiously, they also react particularly well to the slow filter on my dac. The other sets I either hear no noticeable difference, or just a small difference, but with these the slow filter gives a much longer lingering of notes.
So, what cant they do? Soundstage is not a thing with these, something I assume is down to them not having an enclosing earpad to form a space around the back of the ear... but I could be wrong, as these are the only supra aural headphones I've used.
Possibly because of the lack of a big soundstage, they also lack air. So while they might beat the hd700 for detail at least in some tracks, they lose in terms of air and microdetail.

I am quite curious to see what differences could come with renewing the earpads, or replacing the original steel cable with a copper or silver cable.... or going balanced, once I'm able to get a better amp. I'd also be very interested if I could find a pair of circumaural earpads to fit these, and see whether this would add a soundstage and some air, and then whether or not doing that might also come with unwanted drawbacks.
And as I've been so impressed with them, I can totally see why szerecsen ended collecting all of the variants, I'm definitely curious to compare these to other versions of the 480.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the classic ii !

Aug 24, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #42 of 43
I have the same collection. My new acquisition - Sennheiser HD 450S (60 Ohm).
10412142_thumb.jpg

And what I'm looking for:
Sennheiser HD 450 II (turquoise)
Sennheiser HD 450-13II (600 ohm)
Sennheiser HD 480 II Level Limited 85dBA Canford (1700 ohm) (green ring)

And I hope these are last three...
Sorry for late post but maybe you want to know about another models.
Hi, I have some hd 450 red not the black s version, what is the difference ? Just curious after seeing yours :)

Feb 10, 2022 at 3:16 PM Post #43 of 43
Did your classic II ever turn up? What did you think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back