Sennheiser HD 448 or Audio-Technica ATH M50?
Jul 10, 2011 at 9:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

sherrybearlove

New Head-Fier
I'm far from being an audiophile seeing as I've been using stock apple earphones for the past 2 years now. However, I feel like it's about time I actually buy headphones that make music sound /good/. All I'm using these headphones for is gaming and just casual listening (whether I'm running, on a train, at home, whatever). Which would be the best for me? Also, I tend to listen to a lot of rock. And I wear glasses. :p

Jul 10, 2011 at 9:56 PM Post #2 of 11
M50 is better overall. I thought the HD448 felt cheap too, just the pads and build quality. The M50 is very durable and folds up nicely. Also, if you like bass at all, the M50 definitely has more than the HD448. But the M50 bass is not overpowering.

Jul 11, 2011 at 7:02 AM Post #3 of 11
Yeah, I had a feeling that would be the case. However, would the cord length be an issue? I don't monitor audio, create music, etc at all so I feel like any cord longer tan 5 ft would be a hindrance. I want to be able to run/exercise with them and carry them around without having to stuff 5 ft of cord into a bag somewhere. :p ALSO, I don't mind headphones that "color" music since I don't need them to sound flat anyway. 

Jul 11, 2011 at 7:19 AM Post #4 of 11
 ATH M50 should be a bit better but you can't go wrong either way. The HD 448 has a 4.6 foot cable with an extension cable.

Jul 11, 2011 at 7:50 AM Post #5 of 11
There is no comparison between these two cans..
M50 is WAY BETTER in every aspect...
Sound,isolation,built...
The only plus of 448 over M50 is the comfort.

Jul 11, 2011 at 8:03 AM Post #6 of 11
Heya,

M50 over HD4xx series. I tried all three. They all feel cheap. They actually sound great. But the headphone is very flimsy feeling and they don't fold or anything. If you can get a heck of a deal, consider it, but otherwise, just go M50 between these headphones. Sennheiser's strength is elsewhere (not in this price range). That said, are you willing to consider open-air phones? Isolation is good for trains. But otheriwse, open cans would be better for gaming and casual listening. Consider some Grados SR80 or HFI 580 perhaps?

Very best,

Jul 11, 2011 at 5:01 PM Post #8 of 11

Quote:
It's official then - I'm getting the M50 (coiled version).
Really excited to see how they sound compared to those crappy ipod stock earphones. xD

Congrats....
M50 will blow you off if your previous experience is with the ipod stock earphones...

Jul 11, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #10 of 11
As a matter of fact, those were my ONLY experience with headphones. Yeah, I know. :p
And jerg, how would I do that? Do I just change the EQ setting on my ipod and blast it? I was prepared to play some pink noise or something via this app on my ipod.
Quote:
Congrats....
M50 will blow you off if your previous experience is with the ipod stock earphones...

Jul 13, 2011 at 1:00 AM Post #11 of 11
Wow, coming from stock ear buds? When you hear the M50 you won't believe what you are hearing.  Have fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back