Sennheiser HD 439 and Sennheiser Momentum
Apr 27, 2013 at 9:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

potterpastor

100+ Head-Fier
I purchased the HD 439 because it was suggested that it sounded like my Beloved Momentum at a much lower costs. Best Buy is selling them for 59.99, and I thought that was too good of a deal to pass up.

After a night of listening to them, I would have to agree, they do sound a lot like the Momentum, with just as wide of a soundstage. Maybe even a tad wider.

But I also noticed two tremendous differences. A: The build quality of the HD 439 is a lot chintzier and cheaper than the luxurious Momentum. I am making a special point of keeping my best buy receipt just in case the headband breaks on the 439s.

B: Sound quality is not as sharp and pristine and clear as the Momentum. It's like the difference between the iPad 4 and the iPad 1. The iPad 1 had a pretty good looking screen, until I picked up an iPad 4 and saw how much sharper and clearer it was.

Same comparison applies to the sound quality. The Sennheiser Momentum is so crystal clear, with no cloudiness in the mids like you sometimes here on the 439. Just listen to money by Pink Floyd. When you get to the hard rock guitar chords in the middle, the Momentum retains its clarity and sharp audio resolution, while the 439 sounds a little rough and jagged.

This is just after one night's observation. I will break in the HD 439's a little bit more and report back.

Apr 27, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #2 of 10
I also want to say that the HD 439 is a great purchase for $59.99, definitely the best sounding over ear headphones I have heard $60 and under. With acoustic music, classical, and with movies, they sound great. Not as sharp or pristine as the Momentum, but they are not blown out of the water either.

I listen to the very best of the Eagles at 320 bit rate. The sound is a tad richer and fuller on the Momentum, but the 439s are in the conversation.

Apr 27, 2013 at 11:09 AM Post #3 of 10
That! I just agree with you! The only two things I like better about HD439 over momentum is that the wider soundstage as you mentioned above, it is wider than average on the HD439 while the momentum sound...hmmmmmmm in comparison. Also HD439 offer better fits!

Billson :D

May 3, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #4 of 10
I have now been listening to the $59 HD 439 for a week. It has a very similar sound signature to the Sennheiser momentum. But the clarity and the resolution are much sharper on the momentum I must say. Last week I said that the HD 439 was like an iPad and the Sennheiser Momentum was like an iPad 4 in comparison.

But now I would say that the HD 439 is like watching standard definition television compared to the high definition of the Momentum. The HD 439 has a fuzzier, blurrier slightly muddier sound. After careful listening to songs like Judy Blue Eyes Suite by Crosby Stills and Nash, and Dark Side of the Moon, And the Star Wars episodes three and four soundtracks, and Vivaldi classical, The Momentum is sharper and more sparkly and more musical and more beautiful.

But the HD 439 is absolutely excellent for its price. The essential Michael Jackson CD collection ripped to 256 MP3 sounds fantastic on the HD 439.

The soundstage and instrument separation are similarly wide. I still say the 439 may have a slightly, ever so slightly bigger soundstage. But it doesn't have the resolution or clarity, so I definitely prefer the Momentum.

In a couple of weeks, I will do a similar comparison with the HD 558 and the Momentum.

May 11, 2013 at 9:40 AM Post #5 of 10
I have now been listening to the $59 HD 439 for a week. It has a very similar sound signature to the Sennheiser momentum. But the clarity and the resolution are much sharper on the momentum I must say. Last week I said that the HD 439 was like an iPad and the Sennheiser Momentum was like an iPad 4 in comparison.

But now I would say that the HD 439 is like watching standard definition television compared to the high definition of the Momentum. The HD 439 has a fuzzier, blurrier slightly muddier sound. After careful listening to songs like Judy Blue Eyes Suite by Crosby Stills and Nash, and Dark Side of the Moon, And the Star Wars episodes three and four soundtracks, and Vivaldi classical, The Momentum is sharper and more sparkly and more musical and more beautiful.

But the HD 439 is absolutely excellent for its price. The essential Michael Jackson CD collection ripped to 256 MP3 sounds fantastic on the HD 439.

The soundstage and instrument separation are similarly wide. I still say the 439 may have a slightly, ever so slightly bigger soundstage. But it doesn't have the resolution or clarity, so I definitely prefer the Momentum.

In a couple of weeks, I will do a similar comparison with the HD 558 and the Momentum.

Nice comparison and agree with most of your statement! I was never motivated to do a serious comparison in between these two great headphones although I have tried both but I though the huge price point differences make it impossible to be comparable but after reading your post and having to recall the sound, it's actually quite similar!

So I look up for a FR graph and compared it, the curves are very similar! http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=3951&graphID[]=3741&scale=30

However, the HD439 to me, offer a lot wider soundstage but not a little but hey! Everyone have different preference!

Good sharing!
Billson :D

May 12, 2013 at 5:34 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:
Nice comparison and agree with most of your statement! I was never motivated to do a serious comparison in between these two great headphones although I have tried both but I though the huge price point differences make it impossible to be comparable but after reading your post and having to recall the sound, it's actually quite similar!

So I look up for a FR graph and compared it, the curves are very similar! http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=3951&graphID[]=3741&scale=30

However, the HD439 to me, offer a lot wider soundstage but not a little but hey! Everyone have different preference!

Good sharing!
Billson
biggrin.gif

The Graphs are a handy resource here. But The graphs can't show soundstage, capacity of resolving some details and such. When i see this graphs i can't stop thinking about the price premium that you have to pay with the momentum. On the other hand a sound sig like the found in hd439 is not bad at all.

May 12, 2013 at 7:56 AM Post #8 of 10
The Graphs are a handy resource here. But The graphs can't show soundstage, capacity of resolving some details and such. When i see this graphs i can't stop thinking about the price premium that you have to pay with the momentum. On the other hand a sound sig like the found in hd439 is not bad at all.

I do agree that a graphs can't tell how excatly do a pair of headphone perform in soundstage, resolution, details and so on but it helps us in the sound signature department.

I would not say that the Momentum is overpriced neither is it bang for buck! If you wanted me to rate it out of ten in terms of price to performance ratio, I would rate it 7/10. Yes, there might be some fitting issue which I have but really, real leather and very nice finishing also a very refined sound. Can't bargain anymore. Nothing is perfect!

Billson :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back