Sennheiser HD-280
Nov 7, 2009 at 8:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Digital Felon

New Head-Fier
I'm thinking about getting these for Christmas and I was wondering would the new iPod Classic 160gig work well with these? All my music is in Apple Lossless, would I need a amp of any kind? Thanks, and Happy Holidays.

Nov 7, 2009 at 11:29 PM Post #5 of 18
what are your reasons for wanting the hd280s? is the sound isolation important? are you hoping they will be good for outdoor use in the cold of winter?

they are good for both of these reasons but i would pick koss porta-pros (my fav for ipod use) and denon ah-d1001s over the 280s for sound quality.

Nov 8, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #6 of 18
I don't care about portability too much, I want to use the headphones I get on my computer and lounging around my house with my iPod. But I do want something in the 100 dollar range. Basically I want the best sound I can get for $100. I'm also looking at the Shure SRH 440 they look nice, any opinions on them?

Nov 8, 2009 at 2:23 AM Post #7 of 18
Consider open air headphones if your gonna be using them inside alot (unless you are trying to isolate the sounds of the tv or something that other people are doing inside). The Sennheiser 555 is a good choice as long as your not a bass head. They are good sounding and extremely comfortable for about $100. No amp needed.

Nov 8, 2009 at 2:28 AM Post #8 of 18
Ya but I love bass though. I'm going to go with my gut and get the Shure's they are getting good reviews and it's a good price.
atsmile.gif

Nov 8, 2009 at 5:00 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital Felon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ya but I love bass though. I'm going to go with my gut and get the Shure's they are getting good reviews and it's a good price.
atsmile.gif

Go for it. Feel great about buying a good headphone.

It was cool for me.
tongue.gif

Nov 8, 2009 at 8:09 AM Post #11 of 18
Or the HD 595, lol :p

(Still can't believe I was considering the 280's at one point, I believe I made the right decision not to buy them, as well as not buying the DT 770 Pro 80Ω
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Nov 8, 2009 at 1:41 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by tvrboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh geez don't mention the 280 around here ....

Oh, the 280s are liked around here by some people. I honestly don't understand why they get such a bad rap -- they were my first hi-fi phones.

Nov 8, 2009 at 2:02 PM Post #13 of 18
Denon D1000, bang for buck~

Nov 19, 2009 at 4:45 AM Post #14 of 18
I absolutely hate the HD 280's. I owned them for a while and ended up selling them. Those things feel like vice grips on your head, and the way they stick out from the side of your head make them look really stupid. To me it sounded like the music was far away and almost had an echo to it. I actually much prefer my HD 212's (as unpopular as those may be around here) and HD 238's to the 280's.

I don't really see why the 212's have such a bad repuatation around here. I think for the price they are great, especially if you listen to a lot of hard rock and love having the added bass. They may not be the most realistic sounding phones out there but to my average ears they sound great and are a lot of fun to listen to.

Nov 20, 2009 at 3:03 AM Post #15 of 18
The 280s are pretty decent headphones for $100. There are some staunch defenders and some equally passionate detractors when it comes to these cans. I had them for years and was pretty happy.

Then they broke after MUCH abuse over years of air travel.

Having read tons of threads over the last few days, I ended up with the Shure 840s. My impression? By comparison, the 280 is not much of a headphone. The Shure does absolutely everything better by a wide margin (except for isolation). Do keep in mind that I use an amp for all listening.

The Shure can be had for $150 on Amazon right now. Unless it means not eating, I can't imagine that saving the $50 to buy the 280s is a good idea!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back