Sennheiser HD 280 Questions
Dec 28, 2011 at 3:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

KeyboardCrumb

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I just got a pair of HD 280's for Christmas, but I have a few questions I hope you guys could help me with. A lot of reviews talk about amping a headphone, but unfortunately all I have is a regular laptop and no amp. Should I stick with these headphones or would I be better off with a more conventional pair?

I also had a question about burning in headphones. In general, how long should I do it for, and is it better to use a variety of music or just plain white noise?

Dec 29, 2011 at 1:13 AM Post #3 of 5
They should be fine as amping goes. That's something you can save money for and get yourself if you feel it will help significantly with these headphones, and it will definitely help headphones that you plan on buying in the future. As far as burning it, let them burn in while you listen, its much more personal and you 'll hear the difference instead of saying there was.

Dec 29, 2011 at 1:26 AM Post #4 of 5
The Sennheiser HD280 Pro doesn't need an amplifier so much as a good equalizer.  They have a very anemic low end unmodded and unequalized.  But with the popular "tack mod" to increase bass and a good equalizer, you can get the low end up to very acceptable levels.  The HD280 takes equalizing very well.

They also take a very long time to burn in, much more so than normal pairs.  Listen to them regularly, and maybe leave them playing music at a slightly higher than normal listening level for a few nights.  Mine took a while to burn-in, like 200 hours maybe.

Dec 29, 2011 at 5:18 PM Post #5 of 5
I would amp them and something as simple and inexpensive as the Fiio E6 would work very well. As has been mentioned the bass sounds anemic but when I used it with a Fiio E5 the bass came alive. The beauty of the E5 or E6 (I'd choose the latter) is that they are so small that you hardly know you've got an amp. One of the great things about the 280s is the almost complete neutrality of their sound signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back