SENNHEISER HD 280 PRO with Dell laptop and Sony portable minidisc player?
Oct 27, 2002 at 4:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

fratta78

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I am planning to buy some good headphones for use with my Dell laptop (Inspiron 8000) and my Sony portable minidisc player (MZ-N505).

I mostly listen at music during work for long hours (I am a web developer), I prefer classical/soft music, but also listen to all other kinds of music...

Besides good audio quality, I am looking for excellent acustic isolation from the external environment and wearing comfort for long hours...

I looked around the web and it seems that the SENNHEISER HD 280 PRO are really good headphones: great audio quality and outstanding isolation.
Their impedance is 64 Ohm, will my equipment (laptop/minisc player) be able to drive them w/o an amplifier?
I don't listen at music with very loud volumes...

If not, what other model would you recommend?

Thanks in advance,
Marco.

Oct 27, 2002 at 4:40 PM Post #2 of 9
You shouldn't have any problem driving the 280's with your laptop or most portables. Before I got my CMoy amplifier I used mine straight out of my Soundblaster Live! at work, my wifes Sony PCDP as well as my Sony D25S without any problems whatsoever.

That said I feel a decent dedicated headphone amp does help to bring out the best in the 280's. Smoother overall presentation, better bass and better soundstaging.

Oct 27, 2002 at 5:06 PM Post #3 of 9
They sound OK I think. I've got an MZ-N707 and one of those phones, I just tried it, yes you could use it. Not the most comfortable headphones on this planet especially as they stretch out a bit.

Oct 27, 2002 at 5:20 PM Post #4 of 9
I'm not sure about the 280's, but sennheiser phones tend to be extremely comfortable. Both pairs I've tried, 590 and some other similar model, but not sure which, were extremely comfortable. When I put on the 590s it was like they weren't there. There were a tad tight, apparently this was the clamping action people talk about, but I think it was actualy a pretty pleasant clamping action. It was the best way for me to tell I was wearing them and without being too tight they made me feel safe moving around and not worrying about them moving or falling off. I stoped noticing it after I started really listening anyway. The sound was suprisingly good considering it was comming through a discman and a big switching device. I'd reccomend them to you, but they are more than the 280s and they are very much open. Which is what I wanted for my self. Anyway, the 590s have more impeadance than the 280s so I'd guess that the 280s would work pretty well for you. Plus I believe the 280s can be upgraded with a mic, turning them into a headset, which might be an added bonus for computer use.

Oct 27, 2002 at 10:55 PM Post #5 of 9
marco -

save your money and get a pair of Sony EX-70's. They are perfect for the application you describe. Easily driven by any portable or laptop output, "ok" isolation (although not as much as Ety's or the HD280), quite comfortable (better for longer listening than the H280's), a bit bassy but easily modded, and sound quite good playing classical music at low levels. This is exactly how I use mine.

Just my .02

Oct 28, 2002 at 1:53 AM Post #6 of 9
i have ex70s and 280 pros, i use the ex70s when i dont want to lug around my 280s. but the 280s sound much better, if you want to carry around a full sized headphone. but the 280 isolates a bit more. if you are wiling, the etymotic line (er6, er4p) would give you the most isolation in the world (ear plug), and sound absolutely great. the er6 is $140, and the er4p is $270. er6 would probably work for you.

Oct 28, 2002 at 2:46 AM Post #7 of 9
The 280 is not bad if you like (don't mind) analytical phones. They get very mixed reviews here and I bought a pair myself based on threads here but ended up sending them back after about a week. I found them too analytical and not at all comfortable. Comfort varies widely from person to person so they may be comfortable to you but I found the top headband to place too much concentrated pressure on the top of my head. They typically get good reviews by people who use them for DJ'ing or making mixes due to their isolation and analytical sound. I found them not well suited to just listening and enjoying the music. All the flaws and details of the music were 'in my face' with these phones whether I wanted them or not.

I ended up with a set of Beyer DT250-80 but I listen to mainly rock and these phones may be too colored (warm) for your music tastes.

Do a search and look at some reviews to see if you can deal with this.

I recommend buying from a vendor with a good return policy just in case you don't like them.

They do isolate very very well. They are also easily driven from a soundcard or pcdp.

I don't mean to discourage you from these phones. If you are aware of the analytical nature of these phones, you should be able to make a more informed decision.

Good luck!

Oct 28, 2002 at 9:44 PM Post #8 of 9
Thanks for the replies!

I decided to buy the SENNHEISER HD 280 PRO, but the lowest price I can find in Italy is 115 euro.

Do you know any online store (U.S., Germany or anything) that will ship them to Italy?
Amazon has them at $79.99, but won't ship electronics outside the U.S. :frowning2:

Thanks in advance,
Marco.

Oct 28, 2002 at 9:57 PM Post #9 of 9
There is an Ebay dealer who might ship internationally. He is charging $69.99 for them, with $12 shipping to the continental US. I'll bet international shipping wouldn't be THAT much more... maybe double the shipping cost?

Here's the link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...390813727&rd=1

I would email the guy and ask him if he will ship internationally for you. Alternately, I know that MacDef has a pair he was offering for sale. Send him a PM or check the buy/trade/sell forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back