Sennheiser HD 280 Pro to 380 upgrade, is it worth it?
Jun 12, 2014 at 11:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Jackson4

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone.

I purchased my first nice pair of headphones recently, and went with the Sennheiser HD 280 PRO. While the item was being shipped, I realized they also make the 380 hd pro, and the price difference was about $46.

I'm wondering if the quality difference in the 380 over the 280, is worth the difference to upgrade.

I've been searching google as much as i can, but haven't found enough opinions between the two, to come to a conclusion.

Now I did end up opening the 280s, and got them today. At first I was running them through a mixer, and thought they sounded okay. Then I plugged them directly into my TV, and the sound is pretty amazing. I sat there for a few hours just listening to music. I couldnt believe everything I was missing, and the sounds just sounded blissful. 

Ive read some people say the 380s are better than the 280s in all aspects, so if this is the case, im tempted to upgrade immediately.

Thanks for any input. 

Jun 13, 2014 at 5:05 AM Post #2 of 11
The 280HD are real decent after a long break in (months of use)  much better when broken in !  haven't heard the HD 380 yet . I have some on order through specs are similar lots of folks say the 380HD are better and well worth the upgrade I'll let you know next week .

Jun 14, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #3 of 11
I only spent a few mins in a store comparing the 2, but the nice clamp and great isolation of the 280 vanished with the 380...
I would rather buy another pair of 280 than a 380.

Jun 14, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #4 of 11
yes, the 380pro are really good.
the bass is mindblowing for the price and the soundstage is something special.
but watch out, the bass sometimes can make you go fatigue if you're not used to it considering the 280pro is bass light.

Jun 14, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #5 of 11
yes, the 380pro are really good.

the bass is mindblowing for the price and the soundstage is something special.

but watch out, the bass sometimes can make you go fatigue if you're not used to it considering the 280pro is bass light.

Did I read that correctly? Are you saying the 280pro is bass _light_?

Jun 14, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #6 of 11
I have the HD280 and after long break in (months of use )I wouldn't call them bass light at all they have decent bass  in fact they destroy my KRK KNS 8400 bass wise KRK  are bass light and shrill imo by comparison. 

I'm just wondering is the isolation *as good * and the bass/treble and  soundstage & detail   + added loudness sensitivity noticeable on HD380 over 280 ?are all or some of these a significant upgrade from the HD280  or just an incremental upgrade of same ?  
which of the above if any would be a substantial improvement 

regards 

Jun 14, 2014 at 6:31 PM Post #8 of 11
  Hello everyone.

I purchased my first nice pair of headphones recently, and went with the Sennheiser HD 280 PRO. While the item was being shipped, I realized they also make the 380 hd pro, and the price difference was about $46.

I'm wondering if the quality difference in the 380 over the 280, is worth the difference to upgrade.

I've been searching google as much as i can, but haven't found enough opinions between the two, to come to a conclusion.

Now I did end up opening the 280s, and got them today. At first I was running them through a mixer, and thought they sounded okay. Then I plugged them directly into my TV, and the sound is pretty amazing. I sat there for a few hours just listening to music. I couldnt believe everything I was missing, and the sounds just sounded blissful. 

Ive read some people say the 380s are better than the 280s in all aspects, so if this is the case, im tempted to upgrade immediately.

Thanks for any input. 

I've owned an HD280 for about a year now, and I love them. In fact, I prefer them to the HD558s, which are generally considered superior. The treble on the 558s was too recessed for me. I recently had a chance to compare the 280 and 380 at Best Buy, and couldn't tell much difference. That said, I only listened for a couple of minutes, and Best Buy's source is probably suspect, and the selection of music was really limited.

Jun 15, 2014 at 12:03 AM Post #10 of 11
I've read that somewhere ? maybe here at Head FI I like the isolation on the HD 280 it's decent IMO reasonably comfortable (after some extended use . ) also 
how does high bit rate mp** and AAC sound on HD 380 ? overall comfort for extended listening ? 

regards 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back