Sennheiser HD-280 or Sennheiser PX 200 for 20gb Ipod?
May 22, 2003 at 7:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

bd6675

New Head-Fier
Are both of these closed cans suitable for a 20gb WinIpod? I have seen many posts about these two phones and was wondering if the ipod (older style) will have problems driving these un-amped? Also, are they comfortable? Which blocks outside noise better? I listen to a wide range of music so do both of these handle all types of music pretty well. I do not need a ton of bass. Any information or advice about these two would be much appreciated. The price difference between the two does not bother me......I am just looking for advice as to which pair (either Sennheiser HD-280 or Sennheiser PX 200) people prefer when using an ipod.

Thanks,

Chris

May 22, 2003 at 8:24 PM Post #3 of 11
I've owned both.

The PX 200 are *much* more comfortable, easier to drive, more compact, and (IMO) sound a bit better, especially out of portable sources.

The HD 280 Pro block out a good deal more external sound.

May 22, 2003 at 8:50 PM Post #4 of 11
I tried the PX200's, but didn't like them. Because of their size, placement seems to be a big issue so you may want to test them out first, if possible. I couldn't get it right, but others have.

Are you considering the V6's (it's not just bass) and Eggos also?

May 22, 2003 at 9:46 PM Post #5 of 11
I have to admit, if you don't mind the size, I like HD 280PRO, and I use mine regularly with a Nomad JukeBox3, so I anticipate that they would sound pretty good on your iPOD, too. I found the PX200's to be not quite as good for pure listening, but they are MUCH more portable. (The 280's are pretty big.)

The 280s block out a lot of sound, are fairly neutral, and are moderately comfortable (but take some getting used to). They sound good unamped, but a little extra juice from my MINT really brings out their detailed goodness.
smily_headphones1.gif

You might also want to consider the MX-500. I have been pleasantly surprised by them.

BRPJam

May 22, 2003 at 10:16 PM Post #6 of 11
stay away from the PX100 and PX200... i've owned them both, they sound thin and generally unenjoyable. nice engineering, but they could have used some decent drivers to top it off.

May 23, 2003 at 12:25 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by austonia
stay away from the PX100 and PX200... i've owned them both, they sound thin and generally unenjoyable. nice engineering, but they could have used some decent drivers to top it off.

In terms of the PX 200, that's surely because you didn't get the placement right -- the PX 200 are a bit fussy in that respect, and indeed sound thin if you don't get a seal. However, once you get the fit right, they're anything but "thin" and far from unenjoyable IMO. They've become one of my favorite headphones, up there with the KSC-35.

As for the PX 100, I'm really at a loss as to how you got the impression that they're "thin" -- one of the biggest criticisms of them are that they're very bassy and warm.

I've owned them both, as well, and both are excellent, IMO. The PX 200 are much more balanced, however, plus you get the added isolation, so I like them much better.

May 23, 2003 at 10:26 AM Post #11 of 11
I agree with McDEF in every respect. I own both the PX 100 and 200. The latter is more lively and dynamic as well as a bit better balanced to my ears. Without some equalization (bass attenuation!) I prefer both to the Portapro, the classical portable phone, particularly the PX 200.

Obviously it doesn't fit well to every ear, sonically and, maybe more important, anatomically. The right placement and seal is very important with it and obviously impossible to achieve with some people's ears. With the right ears they're all but thin sounding - quite the opposite!
BTW: I don't know the HD 280.

peacesign.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back