Sennheiser HD-280 best choice for closed cans for iPod?
Dec 8, 2007 at 1:08 PM Post #16 of 29
They have a mini plug jack with a screw on quarter inch jack, not the other way around as has been posted.

They also sound absolutely awful. Amped or not. Avoid them.

Dec 8, 2007 at 4:00 PM Post #17 of 29
yup, HD280 are not a good choice for using an ipod only, unamp...ipod cannot driven em well, i guess...for <$100 you can grab a brand new K81dj, RP15mc or a used RP21, they effective to driven by an ipod, unampped...well, i guess audition is a must...
biggrin.gif

Dec 8, 2007 at 4:58 PM Post #18 of 29
Another option might be the Senn HD 25 SP-II - they are very light, sealed on the ear. They come with pleather cushions but you can order the softer felt-like ones from Sennheiser direct. And they are right at your price point of $100.

Dec 8, 2007 at 5:06 PM Post #19 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by vitoid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm using the Sony mdr-7506 with my ipod classic. Plenty of volume and they sound great. You can pick a pair up for app. $100

The MDR V6 (not 600!) is the same, but can be found even cheaper. My son had a pair for his Ipod that he loved, but his mother thought he looked too goofy walking around with them. I have no further comment on that.
rolleyes.gif

Dec 8, 2007 at 5:12 PM Post #20 of 29
I also did not like the 280's. The sound was very tinny in my opinion. In terms of isolation, however, it's very good. Maybe too good at times because the clamp is very strong.

Despite that they're fairly comfortable on my relatively small head. Haven't tried any alternatives in the same price range, so can't really offer another option.

Dec 8, 2007 at 5:20 PM Post #21 of 29
I agree with many of the above comments about the HD280.
- uncomfortable, seriously squeezy
- very high isolation
- pretty unsatisfying unamped
- even amped they're far from my favorite.

If you can find an HD-25 (non-SP) within your budget, then I think you will be very happy with that. Very good isolation, very pleasing sound w/o an amp, and pretty good portability.

My other nomination would be the Equation Audio RP-21 - lists around $100 and may be available for less. It's a remarkably good $100 headphone period, and a stunningly good $100 sealed unamped headphone. That is a category that I had basically given up on, but the RP-21 has completely changed the game.

As for the HD-25 SP: more people dislike the SP than like it. I am actually among those who like it and feel it doesn't get nearly the respect it deserves. However I don't like it anywhere near as much as the RP-21, and the RP-21 costs no more.

Dec 9, 2007 at 5:26 AM Post #22 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They have a mini plug jack with a screw on quarter inch jack, not the other way around as has been posted.

Indeed....
wink.gif

I stand corrected.

Dec 17, 2007 at 12:41 AM Post #23 of 29
Just got mine yesterday. Outstanding isolation. Definitely benefit from amping. Gotta be careful with 'em. They really can blow your ears out. I think they sound fine, especially compared to the RP-HTX7s I was using before. I'm getting the Audio-Technica Pro700s in a few weeks, so that'll be the true test for me. I'm probably also going to pick up some Grado SR-80s soon.

BTW, they aren't too uncomfortable IMO, even with glasses on. They are heavy though. Gave me a hell of a surprise last night when I heard some applause on a track. I looked out the window to see where the sound was coming from.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 17, 2007 at 12:59 AM Post #24 of 29
there have been only two (so far) heaphones/earphones that i absolutely hated on first listen...and nothing could redeem them in my eyes. the hd280 is one of them (the um2 is the other). yuck...i concur with what many have already said above - these are not good headphones for the ipod (amped or unamped). get the k81dj and recable them...much much better.

Dec 17, 2007 at 1:18 AM Post #25 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by branedamag /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The MDR V6 (not 600!) is the same, but can be found even cheaper. :

i have yet to hear a better headphone straight out of the ipod for synth, pop or mainly rhythmic bass driven material. they make my otherwise good hd650 sound wooly, boxy and alarmingly thin in the lower registers.

a good headphone is one that is used and enjoyed. the v6/7506 scores heavily here.

Dec 17, 2007 at 7:44 AM Post #26 of 29
My HD-280 are 1/8 inch, so you may not need an adaptor. For me, the isolation is excellent for portable usage, and they sound nice and balanced and are comfortable enough to listen to for hours at work.

Dec 17, 2007 at 3:37 PM Post #28 of 29
Why not the Denon 1000? They are supremely comfortable and get great marks for their quality.

Dec 19, 2007 at 2:59 PM Post #29 of 29
Admittedly, the bass response of the 280s leaves much to be desired. If you EQ the bass up, it gets much better, but I'm the kind of guy who likes to leave the EQ alone so as to prevent deterioration of sound quality. I'm trying to sell my 280s locally now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back