Sennheiser HD 25-1 II Vs Audio Technica ATH-M50
May 15, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #31 of 43
The HD25 is a smart choice for portable use and isolation. I am sure you'll be happy with them. I have my little issues with the SQ but since I've had them they've been indispensable for portable use. Another nice portable can is the V-MODA M-80. While they isolate slightly less than the HD25 I find the sq to be a bit better, especially when it comes to soundstage.

May 15, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #32 of 43
I haven't been able to find the HD-25-1 II for less than $240 in Canada. I'm having a hard time convincing myself they are worth that much. If I came across the adidas version going for $150 I would definitely jump on it. The U.S. prices are a lot more reasonable at $200 for standard HD-25-1 II.

May 15, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #33 of 43
Quote:
I haven't been able to find the HD-25-1 II for less than $240 in Canada. I'm having a hard time convincing myself they are worth that much. If I came across the adidas version going for $150 I would definitely jump on it. The U.S. prices are a lot more reasonable at $200 for standard HD-25-1 II.

Headphones in canada tend to be pricey. Keep checking the F/S section, there was a user selling a pair last month. 

May 15, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #34 of 43
Quote:
The HD25 is a smart choice for portable use and isolation. I am sure you'll be happy with them. I have my little issues with the SQ but since I've had them they've been indispensable for portable use. Another nice portable can is the V-MODA M-80. While they isolate slightly less than the HD25 I find the sq to be a bit better, especially when it comes to soundstage.

Interesting. Plus they're both ~200$ on Amazon.com 
Will the V-Moda M80  be good for Rock/Electro/Jazz (better than HD25?) ? 
thanks 
smile_phones.gif

May 15, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #37 of 43
Quote:
I heard that they aren't excellent for rock. 
Maybe DJ and Rap because of the bass, no ? 

They were adopted by the reviewer dfkt from anythingbutipod website for portable use, which means that they are quite good .
I  suggest you read the review from that website.
http://anythingbutipod.com/2010/12/aiaiai-tma-1-review/
And before the aiaiai tma-1, dfkt's favorite was the ultrasone 780, but I'lm not sure they are as much portable.
I  bought the hd25 because they were available in a local store (not much high end headphone sold on my country)  , but honestly it's either the aiaiai tma-1 or an ultrasone that I  wanted. Now my hd25 are taking dust,  I just prefer IEM when going outside
wink.gif
And at home my full sized headphone are much more comfy, and with better sound quality.
I  thought I  would enjoy better my collection of techno music with the hd25, but not that much.

Nov 4, 2014 at 7:06 PM Post #38 of 43
  Hi Head-fi'er ! 

I am new on this very great forum and I need some good advices to buy some cans. I saw that Audio Technica M50 is popular here. But I also like the HD 25 because it's small so portable. 

Except the portability (both are good for that no ? )
I'll use them in school and bus (noisy environnement) so I need an excellent isolation to don't destroy my ears with 75%+ of volume.  :)
--- 

This is some examples of music I listen: 

Ratatat - Loud Pipes : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64liF2VuLxI (electro) 
The decemeberists - O Valencia : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJXQSBWO5Qc&feature=relmfu  (rock)
Avishai Cohen - Elli : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4eN13SXqv0&feature=related (jazz)
Arcade Fire - Wake Up   : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zdNdjF-htY&feature=related (rock)

and finally, a great/excellent sound quality for the kind of music I listen to. 

Big thanks! 

I actually find myself in a very similar dilemma. I am currently split between the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x (I plan on keeping these for a while, so removable cable is a huge plus), and the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II. I feel either of them would give me a very nice audio experience which would fit my needs, but I am having trouble deciding between the two.

The only key difference between my situation and that of pentel21 is that I (typically) listen to Rock, Rap and Classical as opposed to jazz and electro. Which brings me to my questions?

1) Which one is the better all-arounder? 
2) Which one isolates better? 
3) Are there, perhaps, some compelling alternatives to either the Sennheiser or the M50x which would suit me better? Under $300 is preferable.

Nov 8, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #39 of 43
I actually find myself in a very similar dilemma. I am currently split between the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x (I plan on keeping these for a while, so removable cable is a huge plus), and the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II. I feel either of them would give me a very nice audio experience which would fit my needs, but I am having trouble deciding between the two.

The only key difference between my situation and that of pentel21 is that I (typically) listen to Rock, Rap and Classical as opposed to jazz and electro. Which brings me to my questions?

1) Which one is the better all-arounder? 
2) Which one isolates better? 
3) Are there, perhaps, some compelling alternatives to either the Sennheiser or the M50x which would suit me better? Under $300 is preferable.

I would highly recommend the Amperior for your genres specifically classical. The high end on the Amperior trumps the HD25. The low end on the Amperior is a bit more emphasized than the HD25 but will work for jazz. Pianos sound better on the Amperior. That said for Rock I prefer the tonality of the HD25 (which I kept out of the two - though more because of overlap and easy resale of the Amperior). The Amperior will still be an excellent all rounder, but the hd25 even more so.

The AtH-m50x I don't have direct experience with but its more bass oriented presence would be better for electronic than the hd25 (which sounds awesome for electronic with an amp and bass boost but that's extra cost).

I would look into the Bowers & Wilkins P7, KEF M500, and the NAD HP50.

Feb 23, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #40 of 43
I currently own both the Amperior, the Audio Technica M50x and the Shure SRH840. If you're strictly looking for portable use, I would go with the Amperior. It isolates very well, and is a real pleasure to use in noisy environments. To be honest, the Amperiors didn't WOW me out of the box. What's more, I've owned them for a month and until only last week I decided to keep them. If you end up going with them, bear in mind that clamping force can be an issue (it almost made me give it back). Sound-wise they have a very forward sound signature that can be a bit too aggressive and fatiguing. For me, the comfort and sound issues were solved when I changed the pads to the ATH SJ5 pleathers.

At home, I use the srh840. Isolation is also very good . Comfort was also initially an issue due to the heavy headband, but over time I've become used to it. The sound is neutral /warm and it's quite pleasant to listen to for extended periods of time (at a low volume). 

The M50x I ended up giving them to my father as present, given that the other two are better for my tastes.

Feb 23, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #41 of 43
I have all three...

I would rate them: HD25-1 > Amperior > M50X
Technically the m50x are probably better but if you ask me what makes me want to move to the music, it's the Senns. Dynamic, energetic, punchy, clear and engaging...

Cheers,
K

Jul 28, 2015 at 11:05 PM Post #42 of 43
I currently own both the Amperior, the Audio Technica M50x and the Shure SRH840. If you're strictly looking for portable use, I would go with the Amperior. It isolates very well, and is a real pleasure to use in noisy environments. To be honest, the Amperiors didn't WOW me out of the box. What's more, I've owned them for a month and until only last week I decided to keep them. If you end up going with them, bear in mind that clamping force can be an issue (it almost made me give it back). Sound-wise they have a very forward sound signature that can be a bit too aggressive and fatiguing. For me, the comfort and sound issues were solved when I changed the pads to the ATH SJ5 pleathers.

At home, I use the srh840. Isolation is also very good . Comfort was also initially an issue due to the heavy headband, but over time I've become used to it. The sound is neutral /warm and it's quite pleasant to listen to for extended periods of time (at a low volume). 

The M50x I ended up giving them to my father as present, given that the other two are better for my tastes.
I have all three...

Technically the m50x are probably better but if you ask me what makes me want to move to the music, it's the Senns. Dynamic, energetic, punchy, clear and engaging...

Cheers,
K

Hello dear headfiers.... smily_headphones1.gif

I am really sorry for all the bother but i really need some help on choosing my next headphones....

A couple of months ago i sold all my headphones but i am now wanting to buy 1 or more pairs...

So here's the deal... i am a guy who mostly listens to pop, rock (artic monkeys, biffy clyro, maximo park), indie and alternative (stuff like metronomy and James Blake, Bon Iver), and edm (specially prog and old schoold tiesto trance)....

My favourite headphones so far are the ath m50, the hd25-1 ii, cal! and the first gen of the over ear momentums (i loved them but they had small pads....)....

Right now i am thinking of a couple of options.... The headphones that i am considering right now are the new wired over ear momentum 2.0, the audio technica ath m50x, the beyerdynamic dt770 in the 80ohm version and the legendary sennheiser hd25 1-ii....

So Heres my dilemma.... I want to be able to make the best choice possible and i want you guys to share your opinions on this matter...

I am a guy who likes versatile headphones and i usually choose the best bang for buck.. Usually i use portable sources and i like my headphones to be easy to drive (but i also already got a topping nx1 so i think i am covered for now in terms of amolification), and i usually also like to be able to use them anywhere...

I loved the first gen momentums and i am pretty sure i would like the 2.0 over ears.... They would suit me as home and outside cans but the truth is that at their current price i can for not much more money buy all the other 3 options i mentioned....

Never tried a beyer headphone but i am pretty sure the 80ohm is the one for me because of they seem to have a similar sound sig to the m50s than all the other dt770 versions....

The hd25, had them land loved them.... They clamp yes but the sound is still amazing they are great al rounders and they were a very nice compliment to the 1st gen over ear momentums.... Inhad the amperiors but did not like the weight of the cups and the sound of the hd25 was kind of ruined.... Big bass and softer mids and highs that were almost drowned by the bass...

The m50s at the time i liked the bass but i did not like the unnatural and thin treble combined with the recessed mids and weird pads.... But still i admit that the sound was overall pretty good...But right now they seem to have much better pads and the swapable cables makes them an option to use anywhere...

So what do you guys recomend me?

Do i buy the 2.0 over ear momentums only and settle with just 1 pair for all purposes (are they better than a combination of any of the other mentioned headphones?)?

Do i make a dt770 80 ohm + hd25 or m50x combination (or other combination) for home and outside use?
Are these worse, at the same level or better than the momentums 2.0 in terms of sound quality? can i consider even buying all three and have headphones for basically the rest of my life...? biggrin.gif

Its a confusing choice i know but i would like very much to read your coments on this matter....

Please help the little portuguese guy.... biggrin.gif

Cheers....

Jul 5, 2020 at 8:21 PM Post #43 of 43
I have all three...

Cheers,
K

I have just got a pair of HD25s. I compared them with the M50X side by side and my impression is exactly the same as yours. The HD25s are not the last word in detail retrieval and neutrality but they are fun to listen to and have a punchy engaging presentation, just like you said. They are also light, bullet proof and spare parts are easy to find. O could not help myself and ordered a pair of 600 Ohm cups. I can't wait to try them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back