Sennheiser HD 25-1-II & iPod Classic 7th gen - need advice
Jul 19, 2013 at 4:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

begemotik

New Head-Fier
I previously had owned $40 Sennheiser HD 202 and used them with a Nokia smartphone with an absolutely puny audiochip. Then I decided to go beginner audiophile and got an iPod classic with a Cirrus audiochip the sound of which I consider to be quite nice yet too heavy on bass and therefore sometimes annoying which I think might be the problem of the Sennheisers not the iPod. Anyway, now I'm willing to spend about $200-$350 for a good pair of cans that will push the iPod to its maximum capabilities. Oh, and the headphones must be portable, so I can wear them on the street. (not too ugly-looking neither)
So I considered the Sennheiser HD 25-II which cost about $300 in my country, and thought it was a pretty nice pick until I stumbled upon a review that said that they're absolutely not recommended for use with devices with Cirrus audiochips, because they (the headphones) are too "reversive" for that.
I'd go out to a shop and check them out myself, but no shop in my city seems to be selling those ones particularly.

And now I just can't figure out what should I buy. Should I buy the Sennheiser HD 25-1-II? I know the iPod is not exactly the hi-fi player out there, but will the combination be enjoyable anyway? And how much the difference between $40 and $300 headphones will be on the iPod? Considering that I actually have some ears.

Jul 19, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #2 of 5
What the heck does "reversive" mean? 
confused.gif

Matching cans with chip sets is taking obsessive-compulsion a bit too far!

The HD 25-1 II sound great with portable devices since they are efficient and block external sounds very well. If you wear glasses (as I do) they are not the most comfortable, however. Still, they are my go-to set.

Jul 19, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:
What the heck does "reversive" mean? 
confused.gif

Matching cans with chip sets is taking obsessive-compulsion a bit too far!

The HD 25-1 II sound great with portable devices since they are efficient and block external sounds very well. If you wear glasses (as I do) they are not the most comfortable, however. Still, they are my go-to set.

Thanks for the reply.
Still, do you think it would be reasonable to upgrade from $40 Sennheisers to $300 Sennheisers just for iPod use?

Jul 19, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Thanks for the reply.
Still, do you think it would be reasonable to upgrade from $40 Sennheisers to $300 Sennheisers just for iPod use?

Yes, but also look into the Sennheiser Momentum too.

Jul 19, 2013 at 1:17 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Thanks for the reply.

No-one can really advise anyone else on spending money. I do not know your lifestyle, income, or where else you could be spending the money!

But there is no doubt a great deal of improvement to be had over cheap headphones. And the HD 25 cans are very good value for the money, perhaps the best value of all supra-aural headphones designed for portable use. The Beyerdynamic DT1350 might be incrementally better in terms of sound (I hope to find out soon) but cost 1/3 more again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back