Sennheiser HD 25-1 ii and beyerdynamic DT 1350 - Head-Fi TV, Episode 004
Apr 23, 2011 at 1:55 PM Post #61 of 128
Quote:
I am liking this videos very much Jude. Great work!

Question.

Is the Beyer DT 1350 just a cosmetic change over the T50p?

Thank you for the nice comment (and also to everyone else who similarly left nice comments and encouragement--as well as creative critiques, as I am still very new to this video thing, and appreciate the suggestions, too).

JIGF, the DT1350 is not just a cosmetic change.  I haven't spent too much time with the T50p, but don't remember being as impressed with it as I've been with the DT 1350.

Quote:
Great comparison Jude. I have to say that in the very short time I had listening to your 1350, the bass and lower mid-bass didn't blow me away when driven by my Cowon S9, and I can definitely see why you'd recommend the Sennheiser for high energy music genres that need a very solid foundation. The Beyer sounded very good from what I recall with an acoustic track though. At some point I'll need to get a pair to compare to my HD650 on my HM-801 - see what a little more juice and refinement from the source can do for them.

Dave, first of all, it was great to spend time with you and Chris overseas last month.  I'm sorry we haven't spoken since, so let's get back in touch very soon on the phone and/or chat.

Regarding the DT1350:  Yes, I remember you being so-so about certain aspects of it.  I don't have a Cowon S9, and didn't listen to it out of your S9 in Barcelona, so I can't comment on that combo.  If I knew I'd be using it only via the built-in outputs of my portable devices, I might opt for the HD25 over it.

I'm a fan of both of these headphones, which is why I said "gun to head" in the video, as that's about what it'd take to force me to give one up for good.  Two different flavors, but two different flavors I really enjoy.

Quote:
No mention of the K181 DJ or any model of the Audio Technica range. Ever tried a modified K518?

Audio-Technica and AKG will certainly be covered in future episodes, so hopefully I can get to those specific models at some point.  The likelihood of covering a modified K518 (or any modified model, beyond re-cablings) is pretty slim--I don't do much in the way of modding, as things I dismantle tend to get put back together with parts left over on the table.

Quote:
i lol'ed at the dubstep at the end
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Best ending since that crazy stuff at the end of "A Day in the Life".  Well done! 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Another Great review and video, I think You need to change the music, but that's My opinion. Oh by the way were You drooling all over the phone's. 
wink_face.gif

LOL.  I didn't think too many of you would actually get to the very end of the video.  Joe saw that outtake from an obviously discarded segment of goofing around, and wanted to include it.

Quote:
awsome 720p video, thank you :D

Several of you asked for it, so we're going to upload future episodes in HD, when the recorded video is HD.  Again, we may occasionally use what's available to shoot (like a webcam from time to time, or even a phone, if that's all we've got at the moment), so there may be times when it's not HD (or at least segments of it are not HD).

Quote:
Next time, review that hifiman in the background.
popcorn.gif
^^

The HM-801 will be looked at in one of these videos, sometime in the future.

Quote:
Thanks for the review. I am looking forward owning one of these DT1350.

BTW, I always thought th HD25 had metal-cups. I saw the Adidas version in store near me. By the way of how these headphones are build, I thought they mistook the price.

Nice haircut Jude :)

I'm tapping on the HD25's cups now, and they feel like plastic to me.

Regarding the haircut.  LOL, thanks.  I'll tell my barber.

Quote:
...and what material are the Sennheiser pads, the Dynamics look like pleather, correct me if I'm wrong, Hows the clamp? 

I think both are synthetic leather, but I'll let you know if I find out otherwise.  (There are velour earpads for the HD25-1 II, but I didn't use them for this evaluation.)

Quote:
...Is there a chance of a Fischer episode in the near future? The community is buzzing about them right now and it would be nice to have an offical episode regarding the 003s, 02s, ETC.

Yes, the Fischer models have become quite popular in this community.  I may visit Fischer products in a future episode, but there are no specific plans at the moment, nor have I heard any of the Fischer models yet.

Quote:
Interesting. I spent a couple if hours at 32 ohms a few weeks ago and listened to a lot of phones including the two in this report.
Listening thru my diymod and Mseed Spirit amp in high gain, I found the DT1350's to be rather awful. No foundation at all..seemed really shrill. In retrospect, maybe they weren't on my ears properly. I much preferred the HD-25's, but I didn't find them to be a must have either. 
The one headphone that I keep thinking about was the Fostex. Even unmodded I really liked what they were doing.

Though I don't expect everyone will like the DT1350 (or the HD25, or any other headphone for that matter), I feel very confident that "shrill" will not be commonly used to describe the DT1350 (though, of course, I do believe it sounded that way to you).  Though it's possible it was at least partially due to unfortunate positioning over your ears, I'm unable to move it into any position over mine to the point where the DT 1350 becomes shrill.  It doesn't sound like you were too thrilled with the HD25 either, even though you preferred it to the DT1350.  Again, I'm one man with just this pair of ears and my preferences, so, to be clear to everyone, I don't presume my preferences to be any more valid (to those who aren't me) than anyone else's.

I'll try a stock Fostex again at some point (and maybe a Thunderpants if anyone locally has one).  For planar magnetic headphones, right now what I have on hand is the HiFiMAN HE-4, HiFiMAN HE-6 and two Audeze LCD-2's--three models I'll definitely be discussing in future videos.

Quote:
I believe the Senn HD280 trumps both in isolation at 32dB.

That's a circumaural headphone.  Again, though, of the supra-aurals I've tried, these two are probably tops as far as isolation goes.

Quote:
Just bought the HD 25-1 ii Adidas today//

My wallet says thanks to you Jude 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Enjoy it!  Again, the one I had in the video was borrowed from a local friend, but I knew I had to have an adidas version of my own, so ordered one.  It should be here in the next few days!  (I also borrowed one from Sennheiser to use at CES, and fell in love with its looks immediately.)

Apr 23, 2011 at 9:15 PM Post #64 of 128
Great review!
Bass wise, which do you feel has a better extension?
Might buy myself a pair of these as some people (my gf) seem to have problems with me using full sized headphones as portable headphones

Apr 23, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #66 of 128
Loving these videos
biggrin.gif

is there anyway to get youtube to allow longer videos?

(It's awesome right now but I feel it could be improved with more products or more content via extended videos)

That dubstep part at the end is great lol

Apr 24, 2011 at 7:35 AM Post #68 of 128
Many thanks for this comparison - great work indeed! Covering all key aspect in such a small amount of time is simply amazing! I'm looking forward to seeing more reviews like that. Thanks a lot!

I haven't listen to the T50p, but, considering many reviews and comments, I believe these headphones are not as good as they should to be. I mean, when I heard for the first time that beyers release new portable headphones (T50p) I thought that they will be *the best* portables in this price range, especially with this groundbreaking Tesla technology, but, according to some reviews, these cans had some flaws (having many strong sides of course!), and this prevented me from purchasing them.

I'm very interested in DT 1350 (as they must be improved model of T50p), and I've got two questions:
a) are the earcups of DT 1350 made of metal (in T50p they were plastic, as I recall)?;
b) does DT 1350 sound very dependant on the position on the ears (this may be no problem while using them at home/studio, but outdoors - this is serious disadvantage for me)?

Thanks again!

Apr 24, 2011 at 11:32 AM Post #69 of 128

Quote:
Many thanks for this comparison - great work indeed! Covering all key aspect in such a small amount of time is simply amazing! I'm looking forward to seeing more reviews like that. Thanks a lot!

I haven't listen to the T50p, but, considering many reviews and comments, I believe these headphones are not as good as they should to be. I mean, when I heard for the first time that beyers release new portable headphones (T50p) I thought that they will be *the best* portables in this price range, especially with this groundbreaking Tesla technology, but, according to some reviews, these cans had some flaws (having many strong sides of course!), and this prevented me from purchasing them.

I'm very interested in DT 1350 (as they must be improved model of T50p), and I've got two questions:
a) are the earcups of DT 1350 made of metal (in T50p they were plastic, as I recall)?;
b) does DT 1350 sound very dependant on the position on the ears (this may be no problem while using them at home/studio, but outdoors - this is serious disadvantage for me)?

Thanks again!

b) They are very dependent on position on the ears, however Jude said that once you figure out how to get them on where you want them it should be easy to put them in the right position from the start.

Apr 24, 2011 at 5:01 PM Post #71 of 128
Great review, Jude. I'm enjoying these videos a lot.

Apr 24, 2011 at 6:06 PM Post #72 of 128
Great review, and i love the dubstep sample at the end, Play Me Records FTW

Apr 25, 2011 at 2:42 AM Post #75 of 128

Quote:

a) The silver parts are made of metal. The black ones are made of plastic. I suspect the meshed plate of the earcups to be made of magnesium alloy. Oh, and the T50p were in metal too (in fact there is more metal in the T50p as they have relatively less plastic parts).
b) Jude said they change quite a bit depending on position. Though with my experience with the T50p it has much less to do with actual positionning than with "seal". You have to think about those as quasi IEMs : a good seal is needed to get the sound right. Otherwise they'll sound shrill. When you move them around, there will be a sweet spot when they suddenly come to life, and that's because of the seal. BUT I've increased the "hit rate" by simply bending dramaticlly the T50p headband to increase pressure. Now it never bothers me and I always get a good seal. I read somewhere that the DT 1350 might come with a higher pressure headband out of the factory, but you can bend it further as you wish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back