Sennheiser HD 228 upgrade - Looking for closed-back, ampless and not-too-long-cord headphones
Aug 22, 2013 at 4:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

vroum

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I've been using a pair of Sennheiser HD 228 for more than four years with my iPhone, to listen to music while commuting.

The 3.55 mm jack had to be redone twice. It still works well - the drivers "opened" after many, many hours of use - but the phleather is falling off my phones. I take reasonable care of them - I put them in a pocket of my work bag.

I'm done with Sennheiser products Their cables are an Achile's heal IMHO. I had issues with a pair of HD 270 at home many years ago, and a new cable cost $55)  but the bad quality of the faux leather isn't acceptable to me.

Now, I've seen many pairs of closed-back, ampless headphones that seem interesting, but most of them have a common inconvenient : the cable is tooooo long - from 6 or 10 feet!

So, I'm looking for recommendations for a $100-$150 pair of headphones that is not fragile. I listen to rock, metal, electronica, blues, etc. etc. etc. I want some good, clean bass. I use the subway, so it must offer a good level of isolation, but not necessarily to the point of noise-cancellation.

Thank you very much for tour help!

Aug 22, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #2 of 2
Hello again,

While coming back from work, I crossed a music listener that had a pair or cans with a coiled wire.

I must confess I haven't looked this spec into further details.

If f you have a pair of fun cans with a long cable, but coiled on a short length, please do share.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back