Sennheiser HD 218/228 - Are they THAT bad?
Jun 29, 2009 at 12:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 64

TobaccoRoad

500+ Head-Fier
I've been looking for a new portable headphone for awhile, then I came across these. I gotta admit these are the sexist looking portables I've seen, and I almost pulled the trigger right away without even researching. Turns out, while they're very comfortable, SQ is supposedly mediocre. I understand the price range is only around $100 but many think these are worse than cheaper PX100 and PortaPro, which I'm not getting because PX100 leaks and PortaPro's ugly for public imo. One of the members here who owned PortaPro bought HD 228 for a replacement but apparently sold it back within 1 hour. Are these that bad? It is Sennheiser after all..
ph34r.gif

Jun 29, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #3 of 64
I've got a pair on the way in the mail right now.

I'm sure they'll meet my needs fine - just something for walking the dog, bringing on overnight trips, etc.

Jun 29, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #4 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by TobaccoRoad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...One of the members here who owned PortaPro bought HD 228 for a replacement but apparently sold it back within 1 hour...

That seemed a bit over the top.
biggrin.gif

Jun 29, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #6 of 64
Sure, I'm hoping they'll get here in the next few days.

Jun 29, 2009 at 6:28 PM Post #7 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by TobaccoRoad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been looking for a new portable headphone for awhile, then I came across these. I gotta admit these are the sexist looking portables I've seen, and I almost pulled the trigger right away without even researching. Turns out, while they're very comfortable, SQ is supposedly mediocre. I understand the price range is only around $100 but many think these are worse than cheaper PX100 and PortaPro, which I'm not getting because PX100 leaks and PortaPro's ugly for public imo. One of the members here who owned PortaPro bought HD 228 for a replacement but apparently sold it back within 1 hour. Are these that bad? It is Sennheiser after all..
ph34r.gif

I can't speak for the HD228 (which I've never tried), but if anyone has said that PX100 trumps HD238's sound quality, that's crock; HD238 beats it in SQ in every single aspect. I doubt you'd still want 238's though, since you are not looking for open headphones.

Although if 228's indeed share the same drivers as 238 (I don't know if they do) but is just simply the closed version, then I can see it being too bass heavy for most needs...

Jun 29, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #9 of 64
And from the HeadRoom order page:

The Sennheiser HD228 headphones will slay the headphones that came with your iPod, iPhone, Mp3 device, DVD player, or laptop computer without heavy wallet lifting required. Cleanly textured and fully punchy bass response alongside a smooth, crisp upper midrange & highs make this a really fantastic-sounding headphone at the pricepoint and a good-performing candidate for any music genre. The HD228's heavy neodymium magnets are specially tuned to deliver rich low-frequency response without mush or bloat so it's the perfect miniaturized portable can for bass lovers who don't want to give up anything in the treble ranges. Sennheiser's newly-engineered lightweight, flexible headband construction is another huge design plus that allows anyone to wear this mobile-oriented headphone comfortably for hours at a time without worries of an overly-tight clamping force getting in the way of your musical enjoyment.

The HD228 is offered in a stylish dark gloss black with chrome-flashing look that is slick but not overstated so it doesn't attract too much undue attention. The HD228's small supra-aural sealed-back [aka 'closed'] earpads typically will rest gently on the outer part of the earlobes and deliver effective ambient noise attenuation of around minus -8dB ~ -10dB on average. The earpads will rotate flat for ease of transit or storage. The HD228's singled-sided cable exits from the left earcup and terminates to a mini-plug 3.5mm (1/8") jack about 4ft later. However, NO full-size 1/4" adapter is included in the package. A 2-year product warranty remains standard with all Sennheiser headphones.

Jun 29, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #10 of 64
BTW, I got mine from jr.com, for $44.99 plus about $6 shipping. Crazy deal!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 29, 2009 at 8:06 PM Post #12 of 64
have had the 228s for a few weeks, compared to my SR60, PX200 , UR40 and HD555 it beats them all, some may have slightly better soundstage but overall the 228s are by far the most enjoyable to listen to.
Also the bass is actually very well controlled, the 'explosive' bass tag line worried me a bit but they are very well balanced.
I never thought i would find a better headphone than the SR60 for under £100, i have.

The only minus is they are pretty hard to drive , need ipod at 4/5 on the bus and 2/3 in the office, out of my fiio E5 they are fine.

Jun 29, 2009 at 9:08 PM Post #14 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by astroid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only minus is they are pretty hard to drive , need ipod at 4/5 on the bus and 2/3 in the office, out of my fiio E5 they are fine.

astroid, is your iPod a volume-capped European model?

Jun 30, 2009 at 12:08 AM Post #15 of 64
here are a few impressions I gave on the HD238's

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/5654556-post10.html (a few pics for ya)

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/5644454-post2.html

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/5647190-post4.html

here's a full post

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/a...ressed-422358/

my overall comment is that the HD238 are lean and crisp, but the build quality feels cheap and chintzy against the competition,

I can't believe why someone would give up a par of HD228's over the Koss. I know the porta pro's have a classic status, but the truth is, that there are better headphones out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back