Sennheiser HD 201S?
Aug 4, 2013 at 11:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ch1ngchung

New Head-Fier
Is this some kind of special version? A studio variant with even more neutral sound? A regular HD 201 with smaller earpads?

What does the S stand for? "HD 201S" is printed into the plastic of the headphones where the normal "HD 201" would be

Aug 4, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:
Is this some kind of special version? A studio variant with even more neutral sound? A regular HD 201 with smaller earpads?

What does the S stand for? "HD 201S" is printed into the plastic of the headphones where the normal "HD 201" would be

It should have a shorter cable I believe?, the standard cable is cheap and like 12ft or something. I know the HD428s is a short cable so it makes sense.

Aug 5, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #3 of 7
Regarding the S201s, would a JV HARX700 be better for music? I want headphones that have good depth and sound natural and show all the subtleties in music, like accidental pickguard scratching in Manhattan or that one bad vibrato in Stairway to Heaven...kind of an unusual request for a teenager

EDIT: I like the 201s but I cant really compare, since the only other "high end" headphones Ive listened to a lot are Beats by Dre, and they sound like those huge podium speakers glued to your ear

Aug 5, 2013 at 12:38 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:
Regarding the S201s, would a JV HARX700 be better for music? I want headphones that have good depth and sound natural and show all the subtleties in music, like accidental pickguard scratching in Manhattan or that one bad vibrato in Stairway to Heaven...kind of an unusual request for a teenager

EDIT: I like the 201s but I cant really compare, since the only other "high end" headphones Ive listened to a lot are Beats by Dre, and they sound like those huge podium speakers glued to your ear

I couldn't really tell you anything about the JVC. I've never heard them.  All of the reviews posted seem to be positive. At one time the HD201 were basically the best budget headphone but that was quite a few years ago.  They sound decent for what they are, Nothing ground breaking by any means but a decent option if you have $20 or so.  There are much better options for just a fraction more in price. I think right around $50 or so you have a much better pick of a truly nice sounding headphone for cheap.
Jvc s500, Koss DJ100 ( A guy is selling a pair for $40 right now in the FS), Even the cheap Monoprice headphones could be a good option. $20 or so. 
I don't know where you are located? But if in the US you can always look into a Factory Refub Sennheiser HD428 or HD439. $30-40...Some people even say the Takstar 80's are a good deal at around $50 (Never heard them)....

Aug 13, 2013 at 1:28 AM Post #5 of 7
I just returned the 201s for some HD419s, and for some reason, the HD419s, although they have more bass and are a lot louder, are harder to analyze songs with. In the 201s, I could hear a song and leisurely track any instrument or foot tapping (and this was actually quite enjoyable), bit in the 419s, this is near-impossible

Isnt the 419 higher quality with better frequency response and more volume? Why is the sound so translucent then? It's much more "musical" than the 201, but at the same time more concealing

Aug 13, 2013 at 2:17 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:
I just returned the 201s for some HD419s, and for some reason, the HD419s, although they have more bass and are a lot louder, are harder to analyze songs with. In the 201s, I could hear a song and leisurely track any instrument or foot tapping (and this was actually quite enjoyable), bit in the 419s, this is near-impossible

Isnt the 419 higher quality with better frequency response and more volume? Why is the sound so translucent then? It's much more "musical" than the 201, but at the same time more concealing

Welcome to the World Famous "Sennheiser Veil"  The 419's are a dark headphone. They remind me of the Px100, And the HD650(I'm running away now!!! :)   As you go higher up in the 4x0 series the Veil is lifted. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back