Sennheiser HD 201 vs. HD 25-1-II vs. AKG K81dj
Apr 20, 2010 at 12:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

swilly

Head-Fier
Hey all!

I'm looking to upgrade from my Sennheiser HD 201, and was wondering if the sound signature of the HD 25-1-II was similar. I tried out my friend's Grade SR-80, and I thought that they sounded too forward, too bright, thus causing me fatigue.

I really like my HD 201 because both the sound and ergonomics are comfy.

Also, I once owned the AKG k81dj's, and I thought they weren't bad, but to me, they seemed too "closed" and "muffled", of sorts. Also, the clamping force was a bit too much to bear.

If anyone has tried the HD201 and HD 25-1-II or the AKG k81dj and HD 25-1-II, what are your thoughts?

I listen to a lot of trance, drum and bass, some rock (buckethead, for example), jrock/pop, classical, and smooth jazz. From what I've read, the HD 25-1-II seem to be good all-arounders, whereas the Grados are geared more towards rock.

Thanks everyone!

Apr 20, 2010 at 1:17 AM Post #2 of 18
I've owned both the HD201's and the HD 25-1 II's. The HD25's are on a totally different level IMO. They are pretty decent all-arounders and seem like they might be up your alley, especially considering you didn't like the SR-80. The velour pads on the HD-25's are also a must. You lose a bit of isolation, but you make up for it in comfort.

Apr 20, 2010 at 3:25 AM Post #3 of 18
Neat! Thanks a lot! Don't the velour pads come with the hd 25-1-ii?

Also, I did read a review on this site that switching to the HD6XX cables could be a better idea. What's your thought?

I'm thinking that for about $200, I'll be getting great enough headphones, and that I don't need anymore. Plus, I was thinking of upgrading to a cowon i9, so I guess I wouldn't want to spend too much more money

Apr 20, 2010 at 5:38 PM Post #6 of 18
Hmm, main issue is that...

I'm still feeling like the price is a bit too steep (I think my ears aren't amazing, and that I can't hear too much difference in sound quality). Maybe I should first get my S9/i9, then see what happens from there...

-Swilly

Apr 20, 2010 at 6:20 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by limpidglitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Both velour and pleather pads are included in the II version.

Unless it's the 'special edition', in which case the Velour pads are replaced with a semi-rigid carrying case.

Apr 20, 2010 at 7:06 PM Post #9 of 18
Get the AKG K81DJ. They're very good for their price and from what I've read on these forums they don't sound that different from the Sennheiser HD 25-1-II. The AKG's are miles ahead of the Sennheiser HD201.

Apr 20, 2010 at 7:36 PM Post #11 of 18
I have both k81dj and HD25-1 II. In fact, they are in totally different leagues. HD25-1 II is a lot better than K81dj in every aspect. K81dj has punchy but muddy bass, and it doesn't have good transparency and instrument separation.

Apr 20, 2010 at 10:09 PM Post #12 of 18
Alright! Thanks a lot everyone! I'm pretty sure I'll be getting the Senn HD-25-1-ii.

-Swilly

Apr 20, 2010 at 10:10 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by jessel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have both k81dj and HD25-1 II. In fact, they are in totally different leagues. HD25-1 II is a lot better than K81dj in every aspect. K81dj has punchy but muddy bass, and it doesn't have good transparency and instrument separation.

Agreed, they are very different. The K81 is quite good for $60 but it's not in the same league as the Senns. Don't know where one would read that the two don't sound all that different. That said, the sound of the HD25 is not for everyone. They have almost no soundstage, so if that's important it's best to look elsewhere. Also, the rough upper midrange causes certain instruments to sound unnatural, sometimes overly crisp and sometimes just plain harsh. Probably wouldn't recommend them for big-band jazz or classical. I still love mine and think they sound very good for a portable. Trance and electronica are wonderful on them. Just throwing it out there that they may not be the be-all end-all for everyone.

Apr 20, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #14 of 18
I've read that for the majority of Grado's prestige line don't have much soundstage because the cans were meant to make you feel like you were on the stage; all the instruments are around you, but since you're so "close" to them, it's hard to really separate them into where they are on the stage. Is the minimal soundstage on the HD-25's similar to the minimal soundstage on Grado's? If it is, I think it'll be okay. I wouldn't say that I have a very discerning ear, so if what the HD 25's setbacks aren't good compared to HD600's, but still good compared to say, the k81's, I'm sure it'll be ok for me.

In terms of the range of stuff I listen to, jazzy stuff I plan on listening to Dave Weckl, Soil & Pimp sessions, Gran Turismo 5 prologue soundtrack (has some "elevator music" ish stuff.

Trance/techno stuff: Dimension 5, Opium of the Masses, Need for speed III soundtrack, Basshunter, Nookie, Sasha and Digweed, M.A.N.D.Y

Rock and Japanese/Korean Rock/Pop: Yui, AKFG, L'arc, younha, Buckethead

Classical/orchestral (some feel very epic, like Halo Soundtrack): Joe Hisaishi, Halo Soundtrack, Final Fantasy Soundtracks.

I feel pretty certain on these HD 25's, and I probably should have listed my music stuff more clearly earlier, but would like to know now if my music would be brought out well with the HD 25's, and if not, what alternative I could go for.

Thanks!

Apr 21, 2010 at 12:08 AM Post #15 of 18
No, the presentation of the HD25 is not very similar to Grados. Grados are intimate and aggressive. The HD25, while narrow in stage, sounds like you're somewhere in the first dozen rows at a concert but not necessarily row 1. Now, this is not necessarily a bad thing, but something to be aware of. And of course this is just my opinion.

And I agree, they are very good all-rounders, especially for such a portable and practical set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back