Sennheiser has only a few good cans and a lot of bad ones?
Mar 28, 2013 at 3:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

akash neagi

100+ Head-Fier
I've been hearing a statement from when I joined head-fi,
Sennheiser has only a few good cans and a lot of bad ones.......
All I want to do in this thread is confirm or bust this myth.......
I kind of see that some cans are controversial,
For example some say that the HD215 II have a wierd sounding low end and some say that is perfectly normal......
I've also seen seen people compare the HD600/HD650 to below $100 cans!!!!!!
And the HD4xx series is one the most controversial cans I have vere seen......
There are people who love the HD439 to bits and some think that it overpriced and worth only $30!?!?

I just wanna say that I ment no offence to anyone when I wrote this......
It is just me trying to understand the Sennheiser lineup better........

Mar 28, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #2 of 17
This has a lot to do with expectation bias ("I paid $200 more, so it MUST be better than your cr***y headphone), illogical comparisons ($500 vs. $50 headphone) and many new members with an enormous lack of experience, but with a lot of words to say.

Sennheiser are a big company that produce A LOT of headphones to fit practically every price bracket - a lot are made seemingly to simply fit into a hole in the market.
This is where comparisons are made, and suddenly something becomes a lemon because it's $30 'over-priced'. 

Also a lot of reviews are based on OPINION and TASTE - some people here like to state opinions as fact - this can create a lot of confusion for new readers. 
A big problem on headfi is that you don't know where ANYONE is coming from, what's their history, experience, professionally and personally.
Some people here just have more money than sense, some are poor and frugal, some are sound engineers, some are professional musicians and some are just kids that want BASSSSS!!!!!!!

Then take into account that personal taste is important - then add to that the shape and size of your ears can greatly effect the sound (especially on-ear headphones as the seal changes with ear shape/size which affects sound).

These are all factors we must review when trying to understand why someone CAN love a $50 headphone and another will state plainly that it's the worst they've heard in their life and is unbearable to wear - there are a lot of glasses wearers that are on a perpetual quest for comfort. 

But this goes for all headphones ever.... not just Sennheiser.

Mar 28, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #3 of 17
They do make a lot of cheap headphones that aren't very good, to satisfy a broader market.

The HD6x0 series, though, is one of the good ones. The people who say they've found sub $100 headphones that are better either have a high psychological bias for some reason or have poor taste in sound. Any headphone will have its detractors, and there are plenty of users here who think they've found the new $50 giant killer. Don't take too much stock in the few extreme and inaccurate opinions out there.

Mar 28, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:
I've been hearing a statement from when I joined head-fi,
Sennheiser has only a few good cans and a lot of bad ones.......
All I want to do in this thread is confirm or bust this myth.......

There's no myth busting here. Good and bad, for headphones, is nothing more than a matter of personal taste.

I've also seen seen people compare the HD600/HD650 to below $100 cans!!!!!!

I've done it myself by comparing the JVC HA-S500 with the HD-650. I thought it compared well; considering the price, I thought it did even better. I did like and still like the '650 quite a bit more than the 'S500, but is it worth, at retail, seven times as much?

Mar 29, 2013 at 2:23 AM Post #5 of 17
hey thanks guys
I was really confused and thought that maybe all cheap sennheisers were bad.....
I personally want to get a hd215 II....
as i found a brand new pair for $60, i would say it is a good deal.....

Mar 29, 2013 at 3:00 AM Post #6 of 17
I don't think Sennheiser has many "bad" products. They're all pretty much average for their price or better. It's just that their "good" products just make the average ones look bad. If there was one company that I'd recommend to buy a headphone from without specifying a model, it would be Sennheiser. Their house sound tends to be quite neutral.

Here's what I think of their cans I've heard so far compared to other stuff I've owned/listened to long term in order of absolute sound quality:

Absolute crap:
Beats Solo, iBuds

Bad:
Beats Studio

Ok:
HD201, HD437, Grado SR225i

Good:
HD202, HD497, Sony V6, Ety ER6i

Excellent:
HD280 Pro, HD558, AKG K702, Ety ER4P, Shure E3c

Exquisite:
HD580, HD600, HD650, Shure SE535, Denon D2000

Edit: Added a couple more other phones in for reference.

Mar 29, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #8 of 17
They do make a lot of cheap headphones that aren't very good, to satisfy a broader market.

The HD6x0 series, though, is one of the good ones. The people who say they've found sub $100 headphones that are better either have a high psychological bias for some reason or have poor taste in sound. Any headphone will have its detractors, and there are plenty of users here who think they've found the new $50 giant killer. Don't take too much stock in the few extreme and inaccurate opinions out there.

"poor taste in sound"

Or possibly just different. You know, because your taste in sound isn't the best or anything...

Mar 29, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

You forget that there are other headphones available besides the ones on store shelves. Having heard a number of these, it doesn't surprise me that some people claim to have found great phones for less than $50 even in comparison to some of the more expensive ones.

Mar 29, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:
"poor taste in sound"

Or possibly just different. You know, because your taste in sound isn't the best or anything...

You can justify that to a certain extent, but you have to draw the line somewhere. Art is subjective, too, but that doesn't mean that you can't produce something that is undeniably bad art. I'm open to a range of tastes in sound, but when someone walks in and says something like "the XB500's totally kill the HD650's because the HD650's have NO BASS," it's pretty safe to say that person does not have very refined taste when it comes to headphones.
rolleyes.gif

Mar 29, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:
Quote:
"poor taste in sound"

You can justify that to a certain extent, but you have to draw the line somewhere. Art is subjective, too, but that doesn't mean that you can't produce something that is undeniably bad art.

There's no need for justification or deniability: Qualities like 'good' or 'bad' with art, music, or headphones, are purely subjective.

Mar 29, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #13 of 17
You can justify that to a certain extent, but you have to draw the line somewhere. Art is subjective, too, but that doesn't mean that you can't produce something that is undeniably bad art. I'm open to a range of tastes in sound, but when someone walks in and says something like "the XB500's totally kill the HD650's because the HD650's have NO BASS," it's pretty safe to say that person does not have very refined taste when it comes to headphones. :rolleyes:

You can't produce something that is undeniably bad art. I dare you to try. Paint anything, if you act hipster enough and die really poor, eventually an art museum is going to do an exhibit about your pitiful life and how great of an artist you were.

It's all about preferences. We often *What* at others' preferences, but its just preferences. No one is right or wrong, its just some preferences in audio quality tend to be worse on the wallet and better for the economy than others.

Mar 30, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #15 of 17
It is based on the way you comprehend the sound and put it into words, some people use the word "bright" to describe the high-end but some may use it to describe the mid-bass to mid-range. Ive seen that example many times before! But instead of trusting every word someone says, just try the cans out for yourself!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back