Sennheiser G4ME headsets (Zero and One) vs. Steelseries Siberia Elite
Jan 24, 2014 at 8:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ClarinetsRock

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone!

I am new to this forum so I am not exactly sure where to put topics and so forth. 

However, I was wondering what your opinion was on the Sennheiser G4ME headsets were. I am referring to both the Zero and the One. Also I was wondering how that matched up in features and most of all sound quality also the mic quality. 

I am looking for a headset that first and foremost has good sound and mic quality. I am a fan of Sennheiser, but a friend told me about the new headset from Steelseries as well and I checked it out. 

I want to be able to have something that has a microphone for when I game or want to do casual recording. I particularly need excellent audio because I editing music and video quite often, I am also a gamer. 

I am looking to save up for an upgrade from my current headset which is the Sennheiser PC 141, Here is a link to that. 

http://en-us.sennheiser.com/pc-headset-internet-telephony-voip-pc-141

Here are other links to the headsets I am referring to as well.

Sennheiser G4ME One

http://en-us.sennheiser.com/g4me-one

Sennheiser G4ME Zero

http://en-us.sennheiser.com/g4me-zero

Steelseries Siberia Elite.

http://steelseries.com/products/audio/steelseries-siberia-elite

Oh an I should note that I would like to be able to use the headset with portable devices like my phone for music or other portable device. 

I would also like to know more about Portable inline audio amplifiers and how they work and what are the best ones on the market. Sennheiser told me that if I wanted to use one of their G4ME headsets for portable audio I would need one of these as well. 

Thank you for all of your help!
ClarinetsRock

Jan 25, 2014 at 4:25 AM Post #2 of 8
You're better off asking on Mad Lust Envy's guide thread.

From the looks of it, the G4ME ZERO headset appears to be a rebranded PC360, so you can grab one of those and save some cash. MLE thought pretty well of it.

Or I can make your decision a little more difficult and bring up a fourth option: the Beyerdynamic MMX 300.

The soundstage is unusually spacious for a closed headphone, enough for positional audio cues to shine through. Bass is punchy, treble is sparkly, and mids are a tad recessed by comparison. Isolation is only moderate, but it doesn't leak sound outside. Sounds good without dedicated amplification.

The microphone is no slouch, either. Not only did my friends on Skype immediately notice the improved quality, but...take my word for it, I make any keyboard sound loud when I'm typing away, and on top of that, I use a trusty IBM Model M on my desktop. The background noise was often disrupting enough on my old desk mic if I forgot to mute that it completely stopped the conversation.

That doesn't happen with the MMX 300. They either just don't hear it, or it's too quiet to bother them. I didn't need any special noise cancellation options enabled computer-side, it just works.

The only major downside? Amazon pricing on the MMX 300 was around $275-300 during the holidays and now jacked up to $333-400, where it's a tough sell. (I paid nowhere near that for mine, thankfully.) By contrast, the PC360's only $166 on Amazon and can frequently be had for less.

Jan 29, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #3 of 8
You'll do fine with the Sennheiser G4me Zero headset.

If you have up to $250 to spend, and just want a simple purchase for headsets that have high audio quality, then you'd want to look at the headsets manufactured by companies that specialize in headphones (Sennheiser, Audio Technica, Beyerdynamic). Unless you are on a <$100 budget, you generally want to avoid headsets manufactured by companies that specialize in computer accessories (Logitech, Corsair, Turtle Beach, Razer, Astro, Steelseries, etc).

The alternative is to buy separate audiophile-grade headphones + separate add-on mic. You could save a small bit of money that way, or potentially get very tiny bumps in audio quality. 

But if you just want a simple recommendation that doesn't require doing a lot of research, then you're in pretty good shape with the Sennheiser G4me Zero's.  You do pay a slight premium to have the newest and latest toy from Sennheiser.  But in the end, nobody will ever say that you made a bad choice by buying it.

Jan 29, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #4 of 8
I agree with you on getting a good headset from a company who specializes in exclusively audio. 

While we are on that, what do you suggest as really good speakers for the computer as well? 

Thank you for your help! I think I will save up for the G4ME Zero's!

Jan 29, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #5 of 8
Can't help you too much there.  I'm not much of a speakerhead.

For what it's worth, you're looking at about $100 - $125 to get to the first major jump in audio quality.  After that, you're looking at ~$200 - $250 for the next major jump in quality, and to get into what audiophiles would consider using for desktop speakers.  And even in that case, you'll have lower audio quality than an equivalently priced set of headphones.

Jan 29, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #6 of 8
  Can't help you too much there.  I'm not much of a speakerhead.

For what it's worth, you're looking at about $100 - $125 to get to the first major jump in audio quality.  After that, you're looking at ~$200 - $250 for the next major jump in quality, and to get into what audiophiles would consider using for desktop speakers.  And even in that case, you'll have lower audio quality than an equivalently priced set of headphones.

Okay thank you! That is good to know! 

I am a music composer so audio quality is something of a need for me. :)

Mar 19, 2015 at 12:58 AM Post #7 of 8
This is coming up on Google, so I figured I'd reply even though it's been forever.

I just grabbed the Sennheiser G4me Zero. It isn't remotely similar to the PC 360 as mentioned earlier in the thread, apart from the basic shape and approach. The Zero is a closed headphone, while the PC 360 (and G4me One) is open.

If you need headphones that isolate well but still perform well for gaming, the G4me Zero is absolutely excellent. It's comfortable as heck with earpads (interior) measuring ~76mm (3 in) tall, ~45mm wide (1.75 in), and ~25mm (1 in) deep. The earpads are also thicker on the bottom than the top, conforming better to your face than most pads.

I'm listening to some liquid dubstep right now and really enjoying them. Audio quality is up there with Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pros for music, but presenting with Sennheiser's signature sound.

The Sennheiser G4me Zero feels like a closed version of the HD 598 (or a fun version of the 380 Pro), with better bass punch and a little less clarity and soundstage (like you get with any closed vs. open headphone).

If the G4me One is virtually the same but open instead of closed, I suspect it will be the better set of cans for pinpointing people in shooters (open headphones are better for positional audio than closed). That said, The G4me Zero is no slouch, and I am having good success in Battlefield 4 using a Creative X-Fi Titanium HD sound card's RCA outs (in game mode with surround on) into an Objective2 amp.

For super competitive FPS play, I'll pull out the HD 598 with Antlion Modmic instead of the G4me Zero, but I suspect I'll use the Zero for most other gaming.

I'm pleasantly surprised by the G4me Zero with its flashy marking, stupid name (I can't not say "guh-four-me" when I see the name).

I must admit that I am a bit of a Sennheiser fanboy because of their quality, sound, and--particularly--comfort. I have very tall ears (68mm) that only fit in a few of the circumaural headphones I've tried. I routinely use Sennheiser HD 555, Sennheiser HD 598, Sennheiser HD 650, Sennheiser IE80 headphones, as well as Beyerdynamic DT-880s with Brainwavz HM5 earpads (great pads for large ears--the infamously comfy Beyer pads don't fit me), Narmoo S1, and Logitech Ultimate Ears.

If you pick up the G4me Zero, note that they are 150 Ω and sound better with an amplifier, particularly when listening to music.

Oct 26, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #8 of 8
Hello,

so I really want to buy G4me zero headset, but i would be using them on ASUS ROG G751 (gaming laptop). I really want to know if I will be able to squeeze the most from them, because of their high impedance (150 ohm). I've been reading on different forums threads about problemacy of high impedance headsets when connected to laptop. 

So I would be very grateful if someone could help me. :) 

Tnx, bb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back