Sennheiser debuts a bunch of new headphones at IFA
Oct 8, 2016 at 8:26 PM Post #301 of 520
I let the 599's burn in for about 10 hours, I found the punchy bass that I experienced initially just disappeared, and the headphones essentially transformed into HD598's. Incredibly happy with the Fidelio x2's I purchased instead. I feel as if they're in another league, and you can get them for pretty much the same price, probably less than the 599's. 

Oct 9, 2016 at 7:02 PM Post #302 of 520
  I let the 599's burn in for about 10 hours, I found the punchy bass that I experienced initially just disappeared, and the headphones essentially transformed into HD598's.

So why has Sennheiser issued the same headphone three times? Designers block?

Oct 9, 2016 at 8:25 PM Post #303 of 520
I have no idea, I really liked the sound signature at the start. And then it just changed! Somebody else reported something similar too. Maybe because they sell well, and people just wanted a design update? They're a little more comfortable than the 598's but other than that I couldn't differentiate between the pair.

Oct 9, 2016 at 9:43 PM Post #304 of 520

The cynic in me would answer that it's so they can get higher initial prices for it each time, since the price tends to drop like a stone a few years after a new range comes out. The HD 598 launched with an MSRP of $329; it dropped steadily since about a half a year after release, and for the past few years it's gone for $125-$150. I expect that the HD 5x9 series carries extremely minor improvements and/or differences (not necessarily better or worse) over the outgoing HD 5x8 one, just so nobody can say it's literally the exact same thing with a slightly different aesthetic design.

They could also figure that people will just assume that new = better and not go any deeper into it. For every enthusiast like one of us who knows that this headphone family dates back around a decade to the HD 5x5, there have to be a hundred people looking at headphones for the first time who see "New!" and "Sennheiser" (hey, Sennheiser's supposed to be pretty good, right?) and figure it's worth taking a shot. Maybe they wouldn't make the sale if it didn't say "New" on it or had been around for over half a decade, like the HD 5x8 line has been. I imagine the market for the HD 5xx series is different from those who buy the HD 6x0 line--the latter are willing to spend more and do more research, so the stellar ~20 year reputation of the latter is a big selling point. For the average consumer, the recency of the design might play a bigger factor (I don't want old headphones).

I dunno. I'd have to see some measurements to determine if anything's obviously changed. The HD 5x8 series did measure noticeably better than the HD 5x5 one, enough that I can believe the anecdotal accounts that the former sounded better than the latter.

Oct 10, 2016 at 9:14 AM Post #306 of 520

I imagine the market for the HD 5xx series is different from those who buy the HD 6x0 line--the latter are willing to spend more and do more research, so the stellar ~20 year reputation of the latter is a big selling point. For the average consumer, the recency of the design might play a bigger factor (I don't want old headphones).

Yes, I'm sure the 5xx series is targeted toward a different consumer. For one thing, the 6xx line is obviously intended for home use with an impedance of 300 Ω. Also, Sennheiser might use more stringent quality control with their audiophile models.

It's an interesting area, because I keep hoping each new model in the 5xx series will jump to the 6xx level of performance after all these years (they are sometimes close in street pricing), but I'm pretty sure Sennheiser doesn't want that to happen. Which probably means the production cost of the 5xx is much lower to ensure a healthy profit.

Tyll Hertsens wrote a great review of the HD 580, 600, and 650 that shows what goes into these classic models: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/very-important-sennheiser-hd-580-hd-600-and-hd-650#pZ2mAv3R6YSdofbl.97

If you want ultimate performance, you probably won't find it at this level. Sennheiser isn't going to give it away – there has to be a rationale for the HD 800 S price.

Oct 10, 2016 at 9:40 AM Post #307 of 520
Originally Posted by HiWire /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's an interesting area, because I keep hoping each new model in the 5xx series will jump to the 6xx level of performance after all these years (they are sometimes close in street pricing), but I'm pretty sure Sennheiser doesn't want that to happen. Which probably means the production cost of the 5xx is much lower to ensure a healthy profit.

Also, Sennheiser might use more stringent quality control with their audiophile models.

That is an understatement. The HD 5XX models always have, and always will be manufactured in China. Now I am not bashing China, but we all know that a product from there will not have the TLC in QC an audiophile headphones deserves. I have not seen how the HD 598 (for example) are made, but I am certain the production line looks line any other in China; You've seen one you've seen them all, basically. The HD 600 and above are made in Germany and Ireland, and I have seen in videos how Sennheiser treats their high-end lines, which is above and beyond what is generally necessary for any given product. As someone who has spend many a year in high tech manufacturing, it bring a smile to my face and tears in my eye with pride seeing this. I can almost guarantee there have been next to zero defective HD 600/650, HD 700, and HD 800/S sold.

Would I pay a few buck more knowing that my headphone has passed a rigorous QC trial, even my HD 598s? You betcha! Hands down without hesitation. But as you said, the intended target consumer is different for both lines, and me thinks Sennheiser would rather pump out and sell literally hundreds of thousand of cheaper made headphones in a shorter period of time than take the extra time to make sure some smart-ass know-it-all audiophile gets a perfect pair of HD 599 for $150 on Amazon.

beerchug.gif

Oct 10, 2016 at 9:54 AM Post #308 of 520
That is an understatement. The HD 5XX models always have, and always will be manufactured in China. Now I am not bashing China, but we all know that a product from there will not have the TLC in QC an audiophile headphones deserves. I have not seen how the HD 598 (for example) are made, but I am certain the production line looks line any other in China; You've seen one you've seen them all, basically. The HD 600 and above are made in Germany and Ireland, and I have seen in videos how Sennheiser treats their high-end lines, which is above and beyond what is generally necessary for any given product. As someone who has spend many a year in high tech manufacturing, it bring a smile to my face and tears in my eye with pride seeing this. I can almost guarantee there have been next to zero defective HD 600/650, HD 700, and HD 800/S sold.

Would I pay a few buck more knowing that my headphone has passed a rigorous QC trial, even my HD 598s? You betcha! Hands down without hesitation. But as you said, the intended target consumer is different for both lines, and me thinks Sennheiser would rather pump out and sell literally hundreds of thousand of cheaper made headphones in a shorter period of time than take the extra time to make sure some smart-ass know-it-all audiophile gets a perfect pair of HD 599 for $150 on Amazon.

:beerchug:

Actually the HD 555/595 and maybe 515 were originally made in Ireland and had a higher impedance originally. The HD 6xx based HD 5xx series which was made before the HD 555/595 was also made in Ireland.

Oct 10, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #309 of 520

I'd say probably because when you have such a successful and popular big seller, you don't make any drastic changes.  You only release refreshes to respark interest.  Plus, there's probably not too much more Senn can do across their product lines and within specific price brackets to significantly improve the sound.  In other words, it may be the best they can do within the limits of existing dynamic driver technology for the price.

Oct 10, 2016 at 8:49 PM Post #310 of 520
They've already stretch the limit of the 5xx design huh? Which means time to go spend more R&D to develop 6x0 line more.. Or are they going to let Focal Elear as the defacto upgrade path from 650?

Oct 10, 2016 at 10:09 PM Post #311 of 520
They've already stretch the limit of the 5xx design huh? Which means time to go spend more R&D to develop 6x0 line more.. Or are they going to let Focal Elear as the defacto upgrade path from 650?

With the big dip in the upper mids of the Elear, I wouldn't call it THE upgrade. Many headphones have come around claiming to be 650 upgrades and a few months later, everyone is back to their 650 for one reason or another.

Oct 10, 2016 at 10:16 PM Post #312 of 520
With the big dip in the upper mids of the Elear, I wouldn't call it THE upgrade. Many headphones have come around claiming to be 650 upgrades and a few months later, everyone is back to their 650 for one reason or another.

Sounds legit. People, including Sennheiser themselves, have been trying to best the HD 6x0 for decades, but it's still around.

Oct 11, 2016 at 7:11 AM Post #313 of 520
  I let the 599's burn in for about 10 hours, I found the punchy bass that I experienced initially just disappeared, and the headphones essentially transformed into HD598's. Incredibly happy with the Fidelio x2's I purchased instead. I feel as if they're in another league, and you can get them for pretty much the same price, probably less than the 599's. 

I have the HD599 arriving next week and I will compare to my HD598.

From what I'm reading here (the only reliable impressions I've read on the net until now) I believe that the 599 are very similar if not equal to the 598, and that the difference in the bass from out-of-the-box to slightly-burned-in is due to the settling of the new pads.

Oct 11, 2016 at 4:11 PM Post #314 of 520

I almost bought the SRH840. Do you recommend? I read about potential issues with the build of them and not holding up well and i settled on the m40x. Bad decision though - within one hour of using the m40x either one of the drivers stopped working. 

i really regret buying the srh 840s. forward mids and that is about it. flat and dull.  

Oct 12, 2016 at 9:08 AM Post #315 of 520
The HD 599 have shown up in the Amazon.ca store at $299.99, but they are out of stock. We'll have to see if their price moves for Black Friday or Boxing Day in Canada.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back