Sennheiser CX150 / CX270 / CX280 - opinions sought
Nov 8, 2010 at 6:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

digitaldave

500+ Head-Fier
I'm thinking about getting another pair of canal phones to supplement my Westone UM2s, and I've narrowed it down to the Sennheiser CX150, CX270 or CX280. Having read a little about them, I still have a couple of questions that I hope someone might be able to answer. For reference, other canal phones I've tried include the Sony EX55 (not keen on the bass) and the UE Metrofi 170 (ok sound but really didn't like the thick cables).

1) How are the CX150? They seem to be rated quite well as a budget option.

2) Do the CX270 and CX280 sound the same or different? The specs are slightly different I believe, but does that make much difference to the sound?

3) One review of the CX280 and I assume this applies to the CX270 as well) mentioned a vent on the back of the casing... Is this just a styling thing, or is there actually a vent there? If the vent is there, does it allow much sound in or out?

To be honest, I'm leaning more towards the CX150, as these aren't going to get a lot of use and aren't for critical listening, they will mainly be a pair that I can throw in for quick trips out where I can't be bothered to take the UM2s. However, I want a reasonable sound, so no bloaty bass please
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks in advance for any feedback anyone can give on any of these models.

Regards,

Dave.

Nov 9, 2010 at 3:28 PM Post #3 of 5
I think the CX150 was closely related to the old CX200/CX250. You should be able to find reviews of those around here. The CX280 sounds noticeably better and would be worth it if you can find it for <$30. Is there a reason you are limiting yourself to Sennheisers? 

Nov 9, 2010 at 4:25 PM Post #4 of 5
Thanks for the reply
smily_headphones1.gif
. I just found a couple of threads about the CX150, but not a great deal about these specific ones - they sound like quite good vale for money.

The reason I'm looking at the Sennheisers is that they are easily available in a shop near me
smily_headphones1.gif
. The CX150s are cheap and might well suit my needs. I have looked at the CX280 (and the 270), and may end up going for one of them. I've read that the CX270s sound different to the CX280s, any idea how different?

Thanks,

Dave.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back