Sennheiser CX 300 IEM (a personal review)
Apr 1, 2007 at 7:11 PM Post #511 of 554
I thought that I might post here again to get more responses.

I need a new IEM as I have replaced my EX51 with a PX100 (which sounds much better anyway). I have narrowed my choices to either this CX300 or Audio-Technica ATH-CK7. I listen to all kind of music, from rock to hip-hop to classical and I would prefer not to rely on any amplification.

So, how do this compare with ATH-CK7? It was mentioned here once that the CK7 is superior according to one poster but I thought more inputs would be nice.

Thanks in advance.

Apr 5, 2007 at 3:37 PM Post #512 of 554
Just thought I'd weigh in with my experience. I'm by no means an expert, I mostly listen to pop, rock and electronica on my iPod 2G (I have a 4G but dislike the output. The 2G sounds warmer with more brilliant highs).

My first replacement phones were the obligatory Sony EX71s (dead now). They were good for casual listening although I did find the bass a little too boomy for comfort, especially for long sessions during daily commutes (50~60 min). A friend who bought the then-new Apple in-ears hated the poor fit and I bought them off him after I tried them out with the EX71's rubber cups instead. Turns out they were really NOT BAD compared to the bass-heavy Sonys. However, after nearly 3 years+, I thought it was time to get some new 'ears'... So I chanced on this forum and the to-and-fros about the CX-300 vs E630 vs MD33.

Well, I got lucky in that the shop I went to allowed me to try Creative's E630 as well as the higher-end Auvana (to my mind, the 'Shure-type' design). I had previously tried a friend's Shure E4s and found the sound 'too clean', lacking in bass for my preferences, bulky and uncomfortable. So it came as no surprise that the Auvana failed to impress me either.

Next, I tried the E630s... really, they aren't half bad for close to half the price of the CX-300s. HOWEVER, I didn't get a sense of 'WOW' compared to my still functional refitted Apple In-ears. If anything, the E630s sounded a bit harsh in trebles. I asked the owner about 'burn in' and he shrugged - he doesn't bother. Lastly, he didn't have a pair of CX-300s for sampling, but based on the comments and reviews I have read here, I took the plunge. The owner opened a set for me on the spot and I gave them a go with both my 2G and 4G iPods right away.

After swapping the cups for the larger ones, I got a perfect seal and tested out a couple of my favourite tracks, mostly encoded as 192kbps AAC. On heavier stuff like The Cure's 'Torture', the bass response was SMOOTH (not heavy like the EX71s), mid-range clear, and no sibilance in the highs (better than the Apple in-ears). I got very similar responses from dance/electronica tracks by Psapp, PSB, Ladytron. I also wasn't disappointed with some softer, more nuanced instrumental/orchestral tracks either. Even on my 'unloved' 4G, the sound was much smoother than when heard through my Apple in-ears.

I lent my new CX-300s to the owner and he was eager to hear them too. After a couple of swaps with his E630s, he agreed that the Creatives were a little harsher at both ends of the spectrum, but still preferred the more neutral Aurvana sound.

Other note: I used to think that Sony's cable were 'better' and higher quality because of the relative thickness of the shielding on the EX-71/81 etc. But for canal-phones, this really isn't the case; the thicker cables simply channel more microphonics when you move about. This is also true to some extent for Apple's in-ear phones. The CX-300s' cables on the other hand, LOOK cheaper, but because they are thinner and lighter, really do not echo as loudly (or at all) when bumped against clothing.

To sum up, for a music lover like me who doesn't encode at higher than 320 AAC for critical tracks, the CX-300 is pretty much heaven-sent. Unless I somehow move to 320+ or FLAC, I'll have no use for even more expensive phones that only show up the imperfections instead of allowing seamless enjoyment. My rating: 8.5/10

Apr 6, 2007 at 12:52 PM Post #514 of 554
I've read reviews both of cx300 and mdr-ex71, but eventually this thread made my mind clear. I want cx300 but one thing still makes me sleepless. I listen to different kinds of music but mostly ATB so ambient, trance - highs, lows and trebles are needed. How cx300 gonna work with that kind of music? I use Sony Ericsson D750 with w800 software as a source (I know it isn't a good player). Is there any possibility to hiss or harsh while using cx300 with that kind of player?

Apr 9, 2007 at 1:39 PM Post #515 of 554
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky191 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where I live the CX-300 are cheaper than the E630. I like the sound of the CX-300 but I do find them too microphonic than I want when moving around.

Putting them on upside down, with the wire coming from behind your ear, eliminates microphonics almost completely in my experience.

Apr 12, 2007 at 7:07 PM Post #516 of 554
Quote:

Originally Posted by greenclaws /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DSC01689.jpg

DSC01690.jpg

DSC01691.jpg

DSC01692.jpg

DSC01693.jpg

Dunno if that helps identify them as fake or real. A vendor, but through Marketplace. I only need them for monitoring a clicktrack while recording anyway. They sound good on devices with no hard-drive, but on my Sony HD5 they hiss a bit like a tape.

There are may fakes being sold, but those look real to me.
This thread has details:
http://iaudiophile.net/forums/showth...t=11598&page=4

These are what the real ones look like.
http://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsite/pdfs/cx300.pdf
The packaging of the fakes don't have the "cx300 black/silver" in the upper left hand corner. Also, I these comparison photos are pretty convincing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=190102251961

Apr 12, 2007 at 7:27 PM Post #518 of 554
Those are real, the body of my CX300's are also shiny but I got mine from circuit city and box and everything looks the same.

Apr 22, 2007 at 1:41 AM Post #519 of 554
[size=large]Sennheiser CX-300 Review[/size]
by a non-audiophile.

[size=medium]Introduction: [/size]

I've owned a 5G iPod for a year, and been using the stock white Apple earbuds that came with it. I hate them; they're extremely uncomfortable, sound quality is terrible, and not very durable (mine have almost fallen apart, with the phone coming apart with little force and the rubber coating deteriorating and exposing the wire). Also, they don't provide any isolation from external noise, making it very difficult to actually hear my music unless I crank up the volume (which I really prefer not to do).

I began looking at options for a pair of new headphones. I decided that I wanted them to be relatively cheap (around $50 or less), portable (earbuds, canalphones, or IEMs) and comfortable, with good sound quality and a moderate amount of isolation. After some research and a few posts on the Head-Fi forums, I had narrowed down my options to a few models. The CX-300 was especially appealing; however, the main turn-off was the price; MSRP is $90, and they were $60 on Amazon (minus shipping).

I turned to eBay. I'm aware that most of the headphones on there, especially CX-300s, are fakes that are sold for impossibly low prices. However, I came across one seller named "pigheadman" who provided a guide to detecting fakes. His price was low, but not too good to be true, so I decided to take a chance and paid $18 + $10 shipping.

He shipped from China, so it took a little while to arrive (paid for and shipped on the first, received on the 19th). They arrived in a blister package (pics in this topic) that looked different from some packages I had seen in pictures, so I was suspicious of fakes. However, after opening them and giving them a good listen, I am confident that these are, in fact, real.

Here's my personal review of the Sennheiser CX-300 canalphones. Note that I've only had them for a few days, and that my opinion may change, but I believe that I've used them enough to provide an accurate and dependable opinion.

[size=medium]Pros: [/size]
  1. Cord - The cord is a J-style cord, with the right side longer than the left. You stick the left plug in your ear and the right one wraps around the back of your neck. I like it; it's more ergonomic and you can leave the left one in and dangle the one on the right when you're having a conversation or something. It's also more comfortable, since there's less weight on the ears. The cord itself is extremely light, thin and made of durable rubber, but isn't sticky-feeling at all. The cord is relatively short (1 meter), but adequate.
  2. Plug - The plug is a 90-degree angle plug, which is more durable (providing more flexibility) than straight plugs. However, some may prefer a straight plug (such as the one on the Creative EP-630) as the angled plug may not work with some iPod cases or whatever.
  3. Isolation - It's a canalphone that sits partway inside your ear, providing a good amount of isolation. It's still possible to hear external noises and have conversations, but most external noise is blocked out.
  4. Comfort - These phones are very light and cause very little downward pull on the ears. The silicon tips may take some getting used to if you've never used any kind of canalphone or IEM before, but the tips are soft and fit in the ear rather nicely, providing a good seal. The phones lie flat against the ear, so they're comfy enough to sleep with them on. They include three sizes of tips to accommodate all kinds of ears, too, so pick the size that's right for you. The tips are very easy to remove and replace, but they will never fall off or get stuck inside your ear. The CX-300s are comfortable enough to wear for long periods (I've been wearing mine for almost 20 hours now.)
  5. Sound - In terms of sound quality, these blow the iPod earbuds far, far away. Nice, precise highs, clearly defined bass, large soundstage, and a very detailed sound. Note that these, being a noise-isolating IEM, have a "closed" sound instead of the more airy sound of "open" headphones. Therefore, the sound almost seems like it's coming from inside your head. Most of the sound quality is dependent upon obtaining a good seal (which can be achieved by choosing the right tips and pushing them far enough into your canal).
  6. Volume - The CX-300s are very loud, especially when taking the noise isolation into consideration - with these phones, I consider the bare minimum volume on my iPod an ideal listening level. With the iPod earbuds, I had to turn the volume up to 30-40 percent.
  7. Look - I know it's not a serious factor, but they are rather attractive. They come in black and silver (and I think a limited edition white version was made, too) with a black cord. Personally, I prefer the black because it goes with my black 5G iPod, but both look nice.
  8. Portability - The CX-300s are very small and very lightweight.

[size=medium]Cons:[/size]
  1. Phonendoscope effect - (stolen from Head-Fi) As with all IEMs, any body movement against the cable creates a low rumble that can be somewhat uncomfortable. Since the CX-300 has a lighter cord, though, there is less of this than with other IEMs.
    It does take a little while to get used to, but after a while you barely notice.
  2. Cord - As mentioned above, the cord is a little on the short side (1 meter) and may not be suitable for some purposes.
  3. Sound(?) - It may just be my source, but I notice a very faint static hiss when these are plugged into my 5G iPod (haven't tried any other sources). It's nearly inaudible when listening to music, however, even on the lowest volume. Can anyone confirm/deny this?
  4. Price - Although I managed to get them for a good price on eBay (at the cost of extending shipping times and no guarantee of authenticity), the retail price is $90 (though they can be found on Amazon for around $50-60 minus shipping), which may be a turn-off. Some may prefer to go with the cheaper but nearly identical Creative EP-630 ($30 retail).
  5. Maintenance - This is not a problem for me, but the silicon tips might get clogged with earwax and require cleaning. They also pick up a small amount of dust and lint every now and then, but one good blow of air and they should be fine. The tips are easy to remove and replace, making cleaning a cinch. However, those with very waxy ears might want to consider something other than IEMs.
  6. Comfort - It's worth noting that these are canalphones and are inserted partway inside the ear. Some people just don't like the feeling of things inside their ear.

[size=medium]Conclusion:[/size]
The Sennheiser CX-300s are extremely comfortable, ultralightweight, and cheap. They isolate well and sound great! They're very nice, and well worth my $28. I would strongly recommend them to anyone looking for a good pair of headphones in the lower price range.

Note: This review was originally posted on the OiNK chat forum, but I thought I'd post it here too.

Jun 5, 2007 at 3:49 PM Post #520 of 554
anyone already got these cx300 with the new packaging??

cx300newpackagegt4.jpg

Jun 5, 2007 at 4:01 PM Post #521 of 554
actually, just burned my Cx300´s, they stopped reproducing base and lows, went back to where i bought them and noticed that with the new package came a 10 euro price increse, the mylarone X3 from jaben were only a couple of euros more expencive when bought with a pair of ATH-CK5, so i upgraded,

Jun 5, 2007 at 5:00 PM Post #522 of 554
reposting
cx300newpackagegt4.jpg

so what youre saying is that the new packaging alone costs an additional 10 euros? i was thinking if maybe theres some sq difference compared with the old one

Jun 28, 2007 at 2:19 AM Post #524 of 554
Quote:

Originally Posted by Visigodo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As promised, here's my review:
They fit very snuggly in the ear canal and block all external sounds very effectively (both the Senn and Sony models do this task quite well).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Visigodo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
:
Also, all IEMs tend to create a peculiar "phonendoscope effect." Since they isolate all external sounds, every movement of your body or the cables makes a somewhat uncomfortable low rumble.
etysmile.gif

I find it curious you mentioned "all external sounds" twice. At best, these phones do a passable job of blocking *some* traffic noise.

They definitely weren't my cup of tea at all, but sound can be a very subjective thing depending on what you're used to. I have no experience with the Sony but can't imagine them being worse than the Sennheiser CX-300. If they are, then there really are a bunch of crap earbuds out there.

Jul 19, 2007 at 3:26 AM Post #525 of 554
Hello, I just received the cx300 I bought in Ebay from "yourticketcontact", the same as the one in the pic I attached. Unlike the cx300 shown in the first page of this thread, mine did not come with a user manual. Secondly, on the top right corner of the cardboard under mp3 the color of "cd dvd md" is also orangish.

The stereo plug is L shaped, the cord is J shaped with the right side measuring 50cm. However, the metal grill sits slightly above the plastic housing. But it seems to be inserted from the inside.

Sound-quality wise they are quite boomy, with mids and highs slightly recessed (I noted this with Eric Clapton's Layla Unplugged)

Now the big question, are my cx300 real or fake???

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back